HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:43 PM

$300M development underway in Quakertown

Quote:
A $300 million real estate project is rising just off the Quakertown interchange of the Northeast Extension that is attempting something novel. Called Milford Village, the multiphased development was designed to be a mixed-use, intergenerational community and not a place to simply “warehouse the elderly.”

The master planned, multiphased development will sit on 216 acres off Route 663, the main route connecting the turnpike interchange to Quakertown.

The first phase will involve the Village of Life Quest and expanding an existing nursing center operated by LifeQuest. The addition will have 123 assisted living units and 40 memory care units. A new child care center will also be developed as part of the first phase and an existing child care facility will be converted into corporate offices for LifeQuest.

That initial phase is underway and expected to be completed next year, the same time that St. Luke’s University Health Network will complete a new $100 million, 132,000-square-foot hospital, cancer center and office building on 30 adjacent acres fronting Route 663.

The second phase of Milford Village will entail developing 335 market-rate apartments and a 498-unit, 55-plus congregate care facility. Subsequent phases will include the development of: two office and retail centers of which one will total 43,200 square feet and the other 50,200 square feet; 13,000 square feet of space for business center and banquet hall; 74 townhouses and cottages; a restaurant totaling 6,000 square feet; and potentially another 30,000 square feet of retail or office space. A hundred acres will be preserved as open space.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...uakertown.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
How is the station expansion coming? Last I saw it looked very nice.
I was driving by, so I'm sorry to say that I didn't get a very good look. I just noticed a crane and steel.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 9:36 PM

Honest question: Will they have wide sidewalks and a campus design (e.g. intersections, car entrances/exits) that take into consideration that all these older people will be walking to and from these adjacent complexes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
$300M development underway in Quakertown

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...uakertown.html

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESELPOLO View Post
Honest question: Will they have wide sidewalks and a campus design (e.g. intersections, car entrances/exits) that take into consideration that all these older people will be walking to and from these adjacent complexes?
I don’t know for sure, but I would imagine so and that the entire campus would be as ADA-friendly as possible (it’d be foolish not too and given the size of the project they probably aren’t fooling around). The plans and rendering I found were the only results for a google search of the project name, so I don’t know if they’re current, but they don’t seem to contradict the article.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2018, 1:47 AM

Stumbled upon this lovely rendering of something called "Colonial Tower" in Wilmington, Delaware at 1200 North Market Street!

Please, just please tell me that this is legit! This appears 23-25 floors tall!!

Edit: This image appears to also be on the Philadelphian Architect, L2partridge's Pinterest. I've just sent him an email to ask if this was legit.

Last edited by jonesrmj; Sep 10, 2018 at 1:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 12:25 PM

^We would've heard something in the news if that was legit. There hasn't been a high rise built downtown in over a decade, believe me - Mayor P and the gang would love nothing else than to announce such news -- but there is none.

Wilmington does have this very cool bike/pedestrian trail now open - from the Riverfront to Old, Historic New Castle -- named after the former Governor who is an avid bike rider -- Jack A. Markell Trail:

[/url]

And the bridge - roadway linking both sides of the Riverfront is nearly complete:

76ers Fieldhouse:

The new hotels are making good progress - Big Fish put up a new rendering:

Downtown -- Bardea, a new Italian restaurant that looks great is set to open anyday. A french restaurant recently opened as well.

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ne/1221186002/

https://www.delawareonline.com/video...gton/34411957/

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...ton/521077002/

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
^We would've heard something in the news if that was legit. There hasn't been a high rise built downtown in over a decade, believe me - Mayor P and the gang would love nothing else than to announce such news -- but there is none.
I figured.

All of the other projects look good but I'm longing for the day when more skyscrapers will be built here. Serious question. Do you think any of these condo/apartment projects could translate to skyscrapers if they are built more in downtown or near the River Towers at Christina Landing? If they want all of this housing then why not build tall?

Also, why am I finding these renderings from architecture firms if they are not legit/ don't have many details about the renderings?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I figured.

All of the other projects look good but I'm longing for the day when more skyscrapers will be built here. Serious question. Do you think any of these condo/apartment projects could translate to skyscrapers if they are built more in downtown or near the River Towers at Christina Landing? If they want all of this housing then why not build tall?

Also, why am I finding these renderings from architecture firms if they are not legit/ don't have many details about the renderings?
No...people keep telling you that market conditions in Wilmington are a ways away from seeing skyscrapers built. But you continue to refuse to believe it and ask the same questions...I think the burgeoning revitalization and residential, restaurant, and entertainment venue growth in Wilmington is exciting in its own right. And could help pave the way for skyscrapers at some point. But it will be a long time.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
...people keep telling you that market conditions in Wilmington are a ways away from seeing skyscrapers built. But you continue to refuse to believe it and ask the same questions.
Well... I guess my posts are a waste of space on this thread for trying to get excited about development here. Perhaps I'll just not post anything for a while because I really don't think I do anything besides annoy people here or make contributions nobody cares about. If a skyscraper gets planned here or something else exciting, please PM me.

Last edited by jonesrmj; Sep 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Well... I guess my posts are a waste of space on this thread for trying to get excited about development here. Perhaps I'll just not post anything for a while because I really don't think I do anything besides annoy people here or make contributions nobody cares about. If a skyscraper gets planned here or something else exciting, please PM me.
You should do what you want. I didn't mean to be harsh. I have no issue with you asking the same questions. Just don't expect the answers to change unless there are some significant changes intra-city and in the surrounding region...If I were you, I'd be MORE excited about the positive changes and developments Wilmington IS seeing right now, rather than lamenting that it's not constituted to generate skyscrapers for some time...

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:29 PM

Amen^

Such as DE.CO - getting closer to opening in Downtown Wilm.

"Welcome to DE.CO, a launchpad for chefs: 250 seats, 8 restaurant stalls, an atrium bar and private event space."

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmjDYB2g...decowilmington

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd0QzaBh...decowilmington

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 3:50 PM

^ Very cool re DE.CO. Renders look nice!

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 4:21 PM

That looks great. There was an article a few weeks ago about how food halls are the new food trucks.

https://www.eater.com/2018/8/15/1767...business-lease

Old Posted Sep 13, 2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
You should do what you want. I didn't mean to be harsh. I have no issue with you asking the same questions. Just don't expect the answers to change unless there are some significant changes intra-city and in the surrounding region...If I were you, I'd be MORE excited about the positive changes and developments Wilmington IS seeing right now, rather than lamenting that it's not constituted to generate skyscrapers for some time...
Ok. It's just skyscraper development really excites me and I love to talk about it. And when I look at Wilmingtons skyline and think of how it's a corporate capital, it makes me think that skyscraper development would be happening (especially given the skyscraper boom in many other cities including Philadelphia). Wilmington doesn't scream (especially when looking at its skyline) a city with only 72k people. But I've got to learn more about urban planning more I guess.

It's also hard to see positivity in Wilmington when I see "worst crime in small cities" and "many corporations leaving" and "vacant office space", etc. I also am not seeing how the current development is beneficial to Wilmington with fixing the issues previously mentioned. Once again, Maybe I'm just stupid for not seeing things but Wilmington is appearing mostly negative to me and I would love to talk about positive things about it.

P.S. about my contributions. I really do feel like I just either annoy people with complaints or update on something that nobody cares about.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:43 AM

Quote:
I also am not seeing how the current development is beneficial to Wilmington with fixing the issues previously mentioned.
Any development requires people to build, so there is investment in the local trade industry, which results in jobs and tax revenue. What they are building results in more residents or jobs, which results in even more tax revenue for the city and state, which results in further investment to tackle some of those issues you speak of. That’s a super high level macro economics viewpoint, but do you see where I’m going? The more that Wilmington has to offer, the more people will want to spend their time and hard earned money there, which will fuel further development, which will eventually result in more density....all of these riverfront developments with hotels, breweries and restaurants are something you should be thrilled about, Wilmington is turning itself into a destination.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
What they are building results in more residents or jobs, which results in even more tax revenue for the city and state, which results in further investment to tackle some of those issues you speak of. That’s a super high level macro economics viewpoint, but do you see where I’m going? The more that Wilmington has to offer, the more people will want to spend their time and ....all of these riverfront developments with hotels, breweries and restaurants are something you should be thrilled about, Wilmington is turning itself into a destination.
I still am confused because what does Wilmington have in your eyes that would make it a tourist destination? Also, why would someone want to live/stay in a hotel in Wilmington with all of the crime? It seems like the suburbs that surround Wilmington are far more attractive in these areas.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I still am confused because what does Wilmington have in your eyes that would make it a tourist destination? Also, why would someone want to live/stay in a hotel in Wilmington with all of the crime? It seems like the suburbs that surround Wilmington are far more attractive in these areas.
Many people these days want the density of a city, that's the reason cities have started to see an increase in population over the past 10 years and that's the reason the Philly skyscraper page has been so active. People have started to appreciate walking and they've started shunning cars. They want density so they can walk to their jobs, bars, restaurants, events, attractions, etc. The suburbs can't offer that, I'm not as doom and gloom on the suburbs as a lot of others are, but you cannot ignore the fact that cities are 'cool' again. Employers want these young workers and in turn also start investing in the city again. I'd put Wilmington where Philly was 15 years ago, people are starting to realize it's potential and they are starting to pay attention. I've seen on this page alone some great investment on the Wilmington riverfront, with many new places that I personally would be interested in going to.

I don't know anything about Wilmington, but I'm assuming it's like most cities and crime is on a neighborhood by neighborhood basis. Name one city, large or small that doesn't have that problem. Crime gets resolved a number of different ways depending on your philosophy, but no matter what, it requires money. Money comes from taxes, and taxes come from residents and businesses. Don't shoo away small investments as nothing, those very investments may be starting Wilmington's renaissance.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2018, 1:39 PM

^Hit the nail on the head -- without knowing much about Wilm either! I'm living down on the Riverfront now (for a year), and have lived over in Trolley Square for awhile. And grew up in N. Wilm burbs -- Wilmington is very much where Philly was during the Rendell years -- just beginning to realize some of its potential after a very long, downward spiral.

Skyscrapers aren't everything. Market Street Wilmington has more architectural history/integrity and stories to tell than a place like Tyson Corner, VA ever will.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 12:36 AM

Question. Is TD Bank using the Hercules Plaza building now? I remember that the building was vacant when Hercules ran out of business but when I was walking around in Wilmington, I noticed that there is a TD Bank Logo now on the building.

Also, I get that Wilmington doesn't need to build tall for offices but what is the reason why the apartments/condos that get built are low rise instead of high rise?

Also Also, Why did HBSC leave the I.M. Pei Building in Wilmington?

Also, Also, Also, Why did this renovation project on the Hercules Building never happen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ5KXmXMLpU

Old Posted Sep 16, 2018, 1:51 AM

Pics of One Ardmore Place construction taken 9/15/2018:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations