HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 21, 2009, 6:08 PM

A surprisingly decent skyline for a city of what, 120k?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 1:40 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Don't see Peoria on here very often. Attractive pics, and the city looks quite nice as well. Thanks.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 4:44 PM
Bah!

My sister has been a test engineer at Caterpillar in Peoria since the early 90's. She now lives up on Fond du Lac Drive in East Peoria which sits high on a ridge overlooking downtown and the riverfront. A most beautiful view.
I always have a good time on my visits to P-town. It's been stuggling for the last decade or two just like the Quad Cities but I have faith that it'll come back one day, but then I ALWAYS root for the underdog.
Thanks for the pictures!!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 7:26 PM

Every shot is a gem!

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 1:18 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepper77 View Post
The skyline is impressive from afar too. Thanks!

That new hotel looks nice...but it's a shame the older buildings there now are going to be razed for it. Plus, it looks like the whole side of the Hotel Père Marquette is going to go from a great view to no view.
I don't expect the current economic conditions to resolve very quickly, and I just read that Caterpillar is laying off thousands because sales to distribtors worldwide are way down. I think 2012 is highly optimistic for that hotel development, if it happens at all.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 8:41 AM

It's a great misconception that CAT is the only major employer in Peoria! It's, just, the largest single employer. Most Peorians, including Myself, neither work directly or indirectly for Caterpillar. Peoria's, booming, medical sector is the areas second largest employer. There's also growing, educational, bio and small technology, distribution, and other lesser-known sectors. So, don't underestimate the Peoria economy's sustainability! THIS region went through near-devastating layoffs and plant closures during the late 1970's - early 1980's after which it learned how to diversify from single industry employers. CAT and other manufacturers, thereafter, spent years downsizing and modernizing their local plants and workforce through outright elimination of jobs or relocation outside the state. THIS recession will be the first major test of our region's diversification efforts.

Also.... WMBD-TV, our local CBS affiliate, reported during the (new) hotel project's official announcement in December ' 08 that it's developers have no doubt this project will weather the current economic crisis. Which is an understandable position given that most of Peoria's highest profile (downtown) projects were built during bad economic times..... The Civic Center, Twin Towers Place, Becker Building, and One Technology Plaza. So, the Marriott " will be in good company " . Either way, We'll find out soon enough!

" You must take the rough with the smooth. " - English proverb

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 2:47 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Great thread...I'd love to see more streetscapes sometime.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 4:53 AM

Glad You enjoy It! I hope SSP will forgive Me. But, the following link shows more....

Last edited by PEORIA; Feb 1, 2009 at 7:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2011, 6:24 PM

After three years, since it was first announced, the city ended it's development agreement on THIS controversial (proposed) $102 million development because the developer couldn't meet the city's conditions within the written agreement. An extended deadline had expired in Dec 2010. The developer failed to satisfy the agreement's contractual stipulations for joint private/public financing, no demolition activity had taken place, and the developer's late contract forwarded to the city lacked the assurances to affirm such criteria. Which is fine, to many of us, who believe that our CBD deserves a grander project than this ill-fated proposal had become.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 2:59 AM

I'm sure glad that project is dead. For one thing, it was an ugly-looking building. And there were some great historic buildings on that block where the hotel was proposed to be built.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2011, 6:04 PM

Glad they didn't knock down old buildings to put up that mediocre building.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 4:48 AM

It now appears, after a new development agreement between the city and the developer, that THIS ' zombie ' project will happen.

Last edited by PEORIA; Nov 6, 2011 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 6:11 PM
Uncle Grandpa

All I know is that Richard Pryor and Sam Kinison are from Peoria.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 1:21 AM

Angry

Caterpillar Inc. duped our region and is moving it's headquarters to Chicagoland. Many of us long suspected that, given the project's lengthy delays, something was afoot. But, the company maintained otherwise. Unfortunately, our suspicions were right. But, should anyone think otherwise, know that Peoria will be 326 years old in 2017 and undoubtedly endure.

Last edited by PEORIA; Feb 10, 2018 at 1:29 AM. Reason: Project is dead

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 10:52 PM

" GREAT NEWS ON JANUARY 11, 2018! " (see below photo) THIS former and legendary Peoria department store/bank/office building will soon become the, new, OSF Healthcare Ministry Headquarters. The regional healthcare giant is the second largest private employer in the city and one of Illinois' largest. (Deerfield-based) Caterpillar Inc.'s significant partnership and various contributions, along with federal and state historic building tax credits, are making this remarkable investment possible.

In a nearly $100 million extensive rehab project, that is expected to begin in late Summer 2018 and span approximately two years, the overhaul will return this seven-story structure to it's 1950s ' White Store ' facade. The entire interior will be completely gutted and rehabbed into, 21st-century, collaborative work space. After completion, more than 700 highly-paid professionals will be relocated into this downtown landmark. Which is a huge boon for our struggling central business district. Meanwhile, OSF Healthcare administration has sought community input for the remaining 3/4 block's footprint.

(images courtesy of www,pjstar.com)

Video Link

(via Facebook/WEEK-TV)

Video Link

(via https://newsroom.osfhealthcare.org/o...r-partnership/)

Last edited by PEORIA; Sep 2, 2018 at 4:20 AM. Reason: Uploaded (Youtube) property video

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 2:45 AM

" FINALLY! " Some exterior progress, including construction fencing, is occuring about this historic property site. The, entire, rehab project hinges upon a myriad of historic government tax credits, zone extensions, and national registry listing. Nevertheless, this local newspaper report confirmed from a healthcare organization spokesperson that more extensive site prep and equipment is soon forthcoming.

(All photos courteousy of www.pjstar.com)

Last edited by PEORIA; Sep 2, 2018 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 3:01 AM

(Exterior) Submitted Rendering

(Image courteousy of OSF Healthcare via www.peoriamagazines.com)

Last edited by PEORIA; Sep 29, 2018 at 6:30 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos