HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-paladin View Post
OMG! The mountains will be lost forever! Where could we ever see them again? Oh, I know, pretty much everywhere?

Hilarious that people are complying about the one aspect that is not a real issue in this entire project.

Again, it just seems soooo, Vancouver...

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
OMG! The mountains will be lost forever! Where could we ever see them again? Oh, I know, pretty much everywhere?

Hilarious that people are complying about the one aspect that is not a real issue in this entire project.

Again, it just seems soooo, Vancouver...
People think that the only views of mountains are from the view cones and if you encroach on them all the views will be gone. They need to do away with these ridiculous view corridors once and for all and educate the public

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 11:09 PM

they are just self entitled who are afraid the value of their condo will go down when they sell it, most people in vancouver never even open their blinds.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 1:31 AM

As someone who lives near where the development will go, I'm happy something that will make the neighbourhood nicer even though some views may go.

One view that I am concerned about losing is that of BC Place. I think its a landmark and by covering it the way the buildings are massed in the current plans means we lose that 'postcard photo'

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 2:54 AM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
As someone who lives near where the development will go, I'm happy something that will make the neighbourhood nicer even though some views may go.

One view that I am concerned about losing is that of BC Place. I think its a landmark and by covering it the way the buildings are massed in the current plans means we lose that 'postcard photo'
That ship sailed with the abomination that is parq

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:00 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/b...iews-1.4529677

I see huge problems with that picture and sketch:

1. The towers drawn in pink show the proposed towers at the Concord and Plaza of Nations sites, but they block nothing: there are no features of the mountains worth seeing. However, see how the protester (Melody Ma) sketched in those fake towers in black and called them "potential towers" to block mountain views. This is very misleading and is a nasty ploy to draw on the emotions of misinformed Vancouverites.

2. In the middle of Cambie street, you would cause an accident if you stare too much at the "beautiful mountains" and not the traffic lights and other vehicles. Why doesn't this Melody Ma show a picture of the same area at night or when it's rainy? That's because what's beautiful then would be the downtown skyline rather than the mountains!

Last edited by Vin; Feb 13, 2018 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post

The City is letting it go ONLY because they are desperate for cash from developers to help them tear down the viaducts. If the buildings are short, they can't achieve the density to justify all the "donations".

Last edited by Vin; Feb 13, 2018 at 7:14 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:59 AM

I do hope that all the view cone haters here have actually taken the time to do something and write council, as there is a real opportunity to actually affect that policy and show support for more action in the future.

The CBC story is frankly just terrible. It is a shame that such an institution would allow for such low quality "journalism" in order to sell eyeballs and grab some advertising revenue.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
The CBC story is frankly just terrible. It is a shame that such an institution would allow for such low quality "journalism" in order to sell eyeballs and grab some advertising revenue.
uhh, have you been on most mainstream media recently? it is more like that then with real integrity. there have been many old-stock journalists talk about how that is all gone and now it is about attention getting headlines and click-bait ideas with little facts and research in an effort to make add revenue.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 8:48 AM

"An artist rendering of what the views in Vancouver could look like if the Northeast False Creek plan goes forward as proposed, as drawn by critics of the plan. (Melody Ma)"

So you try to fearmonger with some BS cartoon drawing and its an "artist rendering" Playing the media for idiots as usual.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:44 AM
Dahvie Fan

She just scribbled in a bunch of extra buildings. Is this a joke

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 10:38 PM

I know people say and do really stupid things in order to win an argument, but this is a whole new ballpark.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 11:57 PM

Approved NEFC Plan

FYI "Streetcar" is mentioned only 3 times in passing, and referencing only Pacific and Quebec streets. I'd say we're a long way off from that, sadly. Given the overall budget of this project it could be thrown in at the expense of 100 social housing units that might not even be missed. Oh well.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 12:06 AM

The cost of this project could have built several phases of the Street car, fully funded the missing 20% for the Broadway Subway, and refurbished a few key areas around the viaducts.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The cost of this project could have built several phases of the Street car, fully funded the missing 20% for the Broadway Subway, and refurbished a few key areas around the viaducts.
But none of those things generate revenue for the city like a redeveloped NEFC will.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:08 AM

Also:

City Council votes to rename Northeast False Creek with indigenous name
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/north...ndigenous-name

City Council approves viaducts demolition and Northeast False Creek Plan
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanco...-plan-approved

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
But none of those things generate revenue for the city like a redeveloped NEFC will.
Cities around the world served by excellent transportation systems also attract big firms to invest in a big way. For instance, one of Amazon's HQ requirements is to be able to locate beside a subway line and station. What made you think a good network of streetcars would not enable this city to generate more revenue?

Tearing down the viaducts will not generate income for the city: it will be a boondoggle which will bleed the city coffer for decades, not to mention creating the unnecessary congestion and pollution of the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Cities around the world served by excellent transportation systems also attract big firms to invest in a big way. For instance, one of Amazon's HQ requirements is to be able to locate beside a subway line and station. What made you think a good network of streetcars would not enable this city to generate more revenue?
I didn't say that. I'm not sure how you equate even the fully built out streetcar with big firms investing here. It would probably help tourism but ultimately require public subsidy to operate, like most transit systems. Only automated Skytrain is operationally profitable, and even then it needs to be well utilized to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Tearing down the viaducts will not generate income for the city: it will be a boondoggle which will bleed the city coffer for decades, not to mention creating the unnecessary congestion and pollution of the neighbourhood.
The fully built out plan will generate tens of millions a year using space that generates none right now.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Really? Having a subway along Broadway and then doing the logical step in relaxing the viewcones to allow density deserving of such a project wouldn’t generate revenue? A new major transit hub at Broadway and Cambie? (Again, given the same special view cone intrusion that NEFC is being given).

Not to mention some much smaller scale projects (as I mentioned) could clean up the area around the viaducts, and development could continue occurring in the area naturally as it has been for 20 years (look at the space around the eastern end of the viaducts 20 years ago, world of difference, slowly moving west with each new project).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:00 AM

Quote:
They can redevelop the area with the viaducts in place and generate just as much revenue

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver