HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

YUL 1 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Montreal Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Montreal Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 10:42 AM

Illuminati

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 3:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How long have we been waiting? How long? I've been hearing about Overdale since before my undergrad days (late eighties, early nineties).
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 10:58 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellz View Post
Illuminati
NWO the hour is near.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:01 AM
The good old days are now

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 9:52 PM
Look at me!

What bugs me really with YUL is the roof top. It's so flat and boring! No crown, no spire, not even a mechanical penthouse, it brings nothing new to the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Un peu aussi au 56 Leonard Street à NY, mais encore une fois, en beaucoup plus trapu! Et pas mal moins intéressant...

Pas le même standing non plus. Le Leonard est formidable, mais il se situe en plein dans la niche très restreinte des gens vraiment très fortunés. Il faudrait voir l'offre déjà disponible aux super riches sur Montréal pour s'assurer de la pertinence d'une opération semblable. Ce serait sans doute rentable, quand même, faudrait simplement un promoteur assez affamé pour tenter le coup, à peu près comme Hermitage à Paris. On peut supposer que c'est moins risqué à New York qu'à Montréal parce que l'agglomération y est 5 fois plus peuplée, et donc avec autant plus de riches. Il y a forcément de quoi rassurer un promoteur à New York. D'ailleurs, le Leonard semble être un succès total. Voyez plutôt son thread, aux dernières nouvelles, ils négociaient le penthouse en son sommet pour 47 millions de dollars. C'est dire si la demande pour ce genre de produits est bien réelle là-bas. Bon, ce serait probablement faisable et à coup sûr souhaitable à Montréal également, mais peut-être avec un moindre bénéfice pour le promoteur parce que la ville est nettement moins grande. Il y faudrait néanmoins un projet de ce style, qui monte au-delà des 200m.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 1:27 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
What bugs me really with YUL is the roof top. It's so flat and boring! No crown, no spire, not even a mechanical penthouse, it brings nothing new to the skyline.
I agree. Due to its location, this would be an excellent opportunity to provide some "flair" to the top of these towers including exterior lighting. On a more positive note, this will add to the north-south axis of the skyline and provide more density to the southern area of the Downtown; along with several other adjacent projects.

-sb

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
... this will add to the north-south axis of the skyline and provide more density to the southern area of the Downtown; along with several other adjacent projects.
Not sure i understand your comment about the north-south axis.
YUL is not really located on the southern part of downtown. It is just west of all the other projects. If anything it extends the skyline to the west.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakman View Post
On a more positive note, this will add to the north-south axis of the skyline and provide more density to the southern area of the Downtown; along with several other adjacent projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctamuy View Post
Not sure i understand your comment about the north-south axis.
YUL is not really located on the southern part of downtown. It is just west of all the other projects. If anything it extends the skyline to the west.
Depending on how you look at it, It could be both.

I have a question: what is situated more to the west, Habitat or the Olympic stadium?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post

I have a question: what is situated more to the west, Habitat or the Olympic stadium?
Habitat

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
Habitat
Hahaha!! that was a trick question Actually, it's the Olympic stadium that is located further to the true west than Habitat 67. In Montreal, East-West (for street names) runs mainly Northeast-Southwest. Driving along those streets will get you from the West-Island to the East End. And sometimes, because not all streets are perfectly straight, some east-west streets will actually be aligned with the true north-south (just like Sherbrooke street beside the Olympic Stadium).

So, for Montrealers, Habitat is to the west of the Stadium

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 4:56 PM
The good old days are now

That's actually an interesting question. Habitat 67 looks to be directly south of Olympic Stadium.

Here are the coordinates for both:

Habitat 67: 45.500031,-73.543459
Olympic Stadium: 45.557378,-73.551968

So Habitat 67 is technically east of Olympic Stadium, although it is more south. Tell that to your average Montrealer, and their head will explode.

EDIT: franktko beat me to it!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Depending on how you look at it, It could be both.

Granted, but why would you make the distinction when clearly, everyone thinks of the west island to be in the west and of st'laurent as the street that separates montreal between east and west... Even if its not geographically true, it is just accepted this way...

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctamuy View Post
Granted, but why would you make the distinction when clearly, everyone thinks of the west island to be in the west and of st'laurent as the street that separates montreal between east and west... Even if its not geographically true, it is just accepted this way...
I've always been intrigued by the apparent tilt of the city as I approach it. Whenever I view it from across the river, I see streets like RL running more north south.
When I'm in the city, my orientation switches to the accepted way.

It must be interesting for those that think of RL as east west seeing the sun set in the north.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 10:09 AM

Looks like they're definitely going after asian investors with this one. Someone I know close to the project told me about a Chinese only marketing brochure they've produced that's not for release in Canada. TBH, if it leads to that awful parking lot being built on, property taxes being paid to the city, and more housing stock being available for Montrealers' use, i'm happy to see foreign investment in the city to help us develop more of the assets we need to further our economic development.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:13 PM

Damn right - if foreign investors want to build and own 20 skyscrapers in Montreal, I have absolutely no problem with that!

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:18 PM

Old Posted Jul 19, 2013, 2:22 PM

The owner of TOM's condo project??

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 8:54 AM
Look at me!

That, or the members of SSP once they find out TOM has been cancelled.

Honestly, these condo projects are starting to be tiresome to follow. Between the initial announcement and the building topping out we usually see 5-6 years snail by. By the time TOM and point Zero start digging, I'll be and old man who doesn't give a flying shit anymore.

I want to see more rental towers built. There's always gonna be a demand for rentals in downtown and rental towers don't need years of sales pitches and endless delays. Just look at Le V, 400 Sherbrooke, 1009 bleury, C-lofts. All of them tall, all of them came out of the blue, and none of them made us wait 400 years for shovels in the ground.

Does montreal really want a livelier downtown? Then rental towers are the solution.

Besides, most people who buy their condos probably rent then out anyways.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 6:36 PM
More transit please

I saw a YUL billboard on Decarie Expressway announcing "Septembre 2013", don't know what that means...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive