HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 1:07 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 2:00 PM

After all of these Union Station projects under construction are completed, the street life in this area, and in the adjacent Riverfront Park (with its additional substantial projects under construction) will be amazing.

I do hope there is a reasonable amount of retail in the Union Station area, in addition to the Whole Foods -a fair number of pubs/bars, restaurants. In another two years, I can imagine a busy summer weekend in LoDo, Union Station, Riverfront, with tons of events, and activities going on. Would love to see Riverfront host a couple music or art events also.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:34 PM
Never Dell

Agreed, it's getting to be an excellent area.

I imagine this area as relatively quiet (except trains) but feeding tons of people into the existing nightlife areas. Some restuarants, services, etc. will be in good demand of course in addition to Whole Foods.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 3:45 PM
Up Up and Away

This past weekend, I ate at my favorite restaurant in the Highland. There was tremendous street life. So, to expand on that, it's awesome to see Highland, Riverfront, Union Station, and Lodo coming to life.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 5:24 PM

I definitely see the Union Station area getting more and more lively with time. Even right now, it feels like there is a slow uptick in foot traffic. New restaurants have begun to infiltrate (Stellas,Hearth and Dram). The Indigo is now open, more people are moving in, and Whole Foods will attract a ton of traffic when it opens. Also, once the G line opens, I suspect that will help things out a bit. Looking down the road, more restaurants, the N line completion in 1-2 years will add even more.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 6:42 PM

Thank you CastleScott, Matt, and Lam for your responses. I sure appreciate the info.
Were One Mile High and the Reliance Center proposed for the same site, just at different times? I'm finding it hard to determine the two cross streets--exactly what corner in today's downtown Denver--the fountain would have been located. I'm trying to attach a photo I just found of the building model. Anyone know what building, to the right in the model, abutted the proposed atrium. I assume whatever that building was, it's long gone.
Not only do I love Denver (I'm probably more psyched about downtown Denver than anyone else on this forum--just try me...), but I'm researching an alternative history novel. And fiction or not, I want the details of my setting to be as accurate as possible. That's why I'm trying to pinpoint this particular building. It's the only one of the many NeverBuilts that I've found whose exact site and situation isn't clearly evident in the renderings.
Thanks again to all who responded!

Great Guccifer, I can't get the photo URL to upload. It's at gettyimages.com, search: one mile high plaza downtown denver. (I'm really not at blonde as I sound.)

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipDDG View Post
Thank you CastleScott, Matt, and Lam for your responses. I sure appreciate the info.
Were One Mile High and the Reliance Center proposed for the same site, just at different times? I'm finding it hard to determine the two cross streets--exactly what corner in today's downtown Denver--the fountain would have been located. I'm trying to attach a photo I just found of the building model. Anyone know what building, to the right in the model, abutted the proposed atrium. I assume whatever that building was, it's long gone.
Not only do I love Denver (I'm probably more psyched about downtown Denver than anyone else on this forum--just try me...), but I'm researching an alternative history novel. And fiction or not, I want the details of my setting to be as accurate as possible. That's why I'm trying to pinpoint this particular building. It's the only one of the many NeverBuilts that I've found whose exact site and situation isn't clearly evident in the renderings.
Thanks again to all who responded!

Great Guccifer, I can't get the photo URL to upload. It's at gettyimages.com, search: one mile high plaza downtown denver. (I'm really not at blonde as I sound.)
Posted for ya

"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Posted for ya

One Mile High Plaza's exact location is an unknown, and in all the research I've done I can't find an exact street intersection besides being along the 16th Street Mall. I do NOT believe this was slated for the same site as Reliance Center, which is clearly between Welton and Glenarm. I strongly believe this was for 16th and Tremont based on discussions with the architecture firm, but I could be wrong.

It's been 20 years since I started DenverSkyscrapers, and I originally scanned my library of unbuilt proposals back when we were all still using 800x600 CRT monitors. Therefore, I've decided to scan these proposals at a much higher resolution and will slowly post them.

Here is One Mile High Plaza:

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
One Mile High Plaza's exact location is an unknown, and in all the research I've done I can't find an exact street intersection besides being along the 16th Street Mall. I do NOT believe this was slated for the same site as Reliance Center, which is clearly between Welton and Glenarm. I strongly believe this was for 16th and Tremont based on discussions with the architecture firm, but I could be wrong.

It's been 20 years since I started DenverSkyscrapers, and I originally scanned my library of unbuilt proposals back when we were all still using 800x600 CRT monitors. Therefore, I've decided to scan these proposals at a much higher resolution and will slowly post them.

Here is One Mile High Plaza:

Thank you so much, Matt! I love these photos and will definitely watch for more as you post them. I hope I can post some interesting photos and info for people--when I figure out h-o-w to post.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:37 AM

Quote:

I recall when this was announced that it was across the street from Fentress's office which was in the Kittridge building at the time. However, that was a very long time ago and I could be remembering it wrong.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 3:27 PM

Nothing groundbreaking here, but good news demonstrating that Union Station is filling in with not only new residents, but companies as well.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/ne...er-office.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:20 PM

Randall O'Toole claims that Boulder's greenbelt and general planning practices could be considered illegal discrimination due to recent Supreme Court rulings that allow 'disparate impact' challenges with regards to housing affordability and accessibility. https://www.i2i.org/wp-content/uploa...017_d-mike.pdf

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:38 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post
Randall O'Toole claims that Boulder's greenbelt and general planning practices could be considered illegal discrimination due to recent Supreme Court rulings that allow 'disparate impact' challenges with regards to housing affordability and accessibility. https://www.i2i.org/wp-content/uploa...017_d-mike.pdf
Case in question: Texas Department of Housing v. Inclusive Communities Project

EDIT: He also glosses over many other housing and zoning cases.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmapper View Post
Doesnt that guy also think urban planning should be considered illegal? Dude is a nut job (which aligns well with most of independence institutes positions).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 6:57 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Doesnt that guy also think urban planning should be considered illegal?
He certainly argues that such practices should be repealed. I guess that's a distinction without a difference.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:

I can imagine the work those "concept designs" were back then, as compared to what we can do today with computer-aided design. Lol.

And, my god, do those buildings scream "1985." One Mile Hi certainly reminds me of Denver Place, built around that time. I hate the many small- windowed, granite/stone skinned buildings of that era, especially for a city with great views, blue skies, and sunshine such as Denver. We are lucky that two of our tallest buildings - Cash Register and Republic Tower went for clean, lean looks with big windows. Of all of our 80s structures, I think they look the least dated.

Love the glass of our newest Denver skyscrapers - allowing a good looking city to see itself in the mirror off the sides of these buildings.

Last edited by CherryCreek; Mar 22, 2017 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 9:41 PM

Well this is interesting.....

I went by this site yesterday, and if my memory serves me correctly, it's fenced off. I haven't heard of this development before.

https://www.bisnow.com/denver/news/m...nt-space-71654

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:13 AM
Up Up and Away

I love this photo. I count 6 trains. Now we just need the people.

https://app.oxblue.com/open/buildmark/thecoloradan
Photo courtesy of OxBlue

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:03 AM

Thanks for sharing the construction can. Didn't know they had one.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Well this is interesting.....

I went by this site yesterday, and if my memory serves me correctly, it's fenced off. I haven't heard of this development before.

https://www.bisnow.com/denver/news/m...nt-space-71654
Nice find. I recall only that Lennar had bought a 2nd site but hadn't heard anything about intentions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West