HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:15 PM
Change is good

NHL team to Saskatoon??!?!?

Quote:
Saskatoon shows interest in pursuing an NHL team: report

The National Hockey League has been contacted about relocating an NHL franchise to Saskatoon, according to a report on Thursday.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reported on the network’s website that “interested parties in Saskatoon” have reached out to the league, suggesting “there are individuals or parties in Saskatoon who would be willing to ante up the required purchase fee while various levels of government in Saskatchewan would make necessary arrangements to expand and make NHL-suitable the 15,800-seat Credit Union Centre.”
A source confirmed the report to The StarPhoenix on Thursday, saying that a number of groups have approached Credit Union Centre management over the last three years about the possibility of an NHL franchise.
According to the TSN report, the interested parties “are pitching that an NHL franchise (in Saskatoon) would be supported by the entire province and it would be a viable operation.”
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...l-team-report/

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:17 PM
Community Guy

That would be great. Now get Hamilton and QC back... and things will be right again.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:25 PM

That doesn't make any sense, specially when there are parties interested in cities like Quebec City.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 5:27 PM

Not happening. At least not for another couple decades....

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:34 PM

I can't see Saskatoon getting a team with such a small population, even with Regina added in, it would be a tough sell.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:39 PM
Look at me!

I don't doubt saskatoon's ability to fill a 16,000 seat arena, but I do wonder about tv deals and such. Considering the small market, I don't think the league will go for it.

But anyways, first and foremost, give Quebec back it's team! The battle of Quebec was rivaled in intensity only by Boston, and maybe Toronto.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:41 PM

I live in Saskatoon and I think it would be awesome if we did get a team, but I have to say I don't see it happening for a little while. I don't see ift being 20 or 30 years away, I believe we are a lot closer than that.

I believe there are places that should get teams before Saskatoon, Quebec city and Seattle I think are the best bets. I don't see Hamilton getting a team only because I think the league is too worried about a team there would kill Buffalo. The other major issue is the facility, it will take a lot to upgrade it and not just the inside but the entrances and exits and parking all need to be redone and there needs to be more of it. Also, Infrastructure around it needs to be improved because not everybody can drive down Idywyld back into the city.

I don't see us getting a team next year or anything, and I don't think the "interested parties" expected it either, but unless you stand up and get counted nobody is going to know you are there. Now the league knows that we want a team, and also the city and province know that there are buyers available if they want to spend the money to upgrade their facility. You can't win if you don't play.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:51 PM

There's no way they would get a team, because Toronto would want one then.

Seriously, Saskatoon is still too small..Not sure of the distance between Regina and Saskatoon, but let's say they were two hours apart, then would it be possible to put an arena at the half way point?
Just a pipe dream thought.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 6:56 PM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
I can't see Saskatoon getting a team with such a small population, even with Regina added in, it would be a tough sell.
Well, keep in mind that I think that this will be similar in situation to the Saskatchewan Roughriders, as in the team will attract people from all over the province. When that is considered, there's a good chance it'll be very successful, as Hamilton and Quebec City will have to rely on getting people from they're respective regions, not the province.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:19 PM

Not gonna happen, Saskatoon is WAY too small, maybe in 20 or 30 years when there are a half million in the metro.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:27 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
Well, keep in mind that I think that this will be similar in situation to the Saskatchewan Roughriders, as in the team will attract people from all over the province. When that is considered, there's a good chance it'll be very successful, as Hamilton and Quebec City will have to rely on getting people from they're respective regions, not the province.
It's much easier for large numbers of people to go to Regina nine times a year (and usually on weekends) than to Saskatoon 41 times.

I don't see it happening any time soon, but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
The Roughriders play mostly on the weekends, and driving from S'toon to Regina is a once a week thing. You aren't going to get many people wanting driving 2 hours back to Regina after the game ended at 11PM on a Wednesday night. Apples to Oranges.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatched View Post
I don't see us getting a team next year or anything, and I don't think the "interested parties" expected it either, but unless you stand up and get counted nobody is going to know you are there. Now the league knows that we want a team, and also the city and province know that there are buyers available if they want to spend the money to upgrade their facility. You can't win if you don't play.
This is the main point to take away from this story.

I don't think any people in Saskatoon seriously believe that this will happen, but there's no hurt in saying "Hey, we're here too."

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
The Roughriders play mostly on the weekends, and driving from S'toon to Regina is a once a week thing. You aren't going to get many people wanting driving 2 hours back to Regina after the game ended at 11PM on a Wednesday night. Apples to Oranges.
During the winter

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 7:49 PM

Wouldn't the AHL make a lot more sense?

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 8:00 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Yeah, the Flames' AHL team doesn't draw well in Abbotsford. Move them to Saskatoon. Then eventually use any success from that as a stepping stone to the NHL.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 8:12 PM
Go Chiefs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Rommheim View Post
I don't doubt saskatoon's ability to fill a 16,000 seat arena, but I do wonder about tv deals and such. Considering the small market, I don't think the league will go for it.

But anyways, first and foremost, give Quebec back it's team! The battle of Quebec was rivaled in intensity only by Boston, and maybe Toronto.
The MTL-TOR rivalry is pretty much on hold. That's what happens when you haven't been in the playoffs for a while... nothing will top MTL-BOS though.

Otherwise I agree with your post. Saskatoon is a better option than Phoenix for example but I don't it happening for at least another decade.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 8:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Heck, they only need about 8% of the metro's population to show up each home game.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Wouldn't the AHL make a lot more sense?
I was thinking the same thing, start with the AHL, see how that goes, then look to the NHL in 10 - 15 years like Winnipeg did.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 9:00 PM

Quote:

I'm not saying that it couldn't be successful, just that I doubt that the league would allow a team to go there when there are much bigger markets that also want one. I would love more teams in Canada, as oppossed to ones in American cities that are not supporting them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada