HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 19, 2014, 8:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Confirmed: the design of the Regina stadium will be publically released the 1st or 2nd week of May.
Correction. It will be unveiled on May 22.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I don't know if you guys know what the stadium is going to look like but I have a description...if this is common knowledge, just ignore me.

It will be a U shape design with seats in one end zone. The open end will face to the south east. The roof will cover 80% of the seats and also be a U. It will be an arched roof over the sides, a single curve not a wiggle like in Winnipeg....the roof will then flatten out at one end and curve around to cover the end zone. This will provide protection from the north west winds.

sounds great.

edit...ha ha...oops...just went back and saw Mig's description of red bull arena...he is right....that's what the roof will be like.
If it truly is a horseshoe design, this could be the potential view of downtown from the open end.

https://twitter.com/yqrstadium/statu...39137960288256

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 11:55 PM

To me that view is more east, than south-east.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2014, 6:29 PM

[QUOTE=Migs;6547918]If it truly is a horseshoe design, this could be the potential view of downtown from the open end.

Wasn't the guy who posted that horseshoe design rumor on here relying on intel from a dude who works at Stantec? And since the Stantec design wasn't selected perhaps we will be getting the bowl design afterall..

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicalRecession View Post
Wasn't the guy who posted that horseshoe design rumor on here relying on intel from a dude who works at Stantec? And since the Stantec design wasn't selected perhaps we will be getting the bowl design afterall..
Ive heard the same thing from a few people about the horseshoe design and it was also mentioned by trueviking (whom I quoted a few posts above) about the design. Either way its going to be fantastic.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:48 AM

Damn mid May cannot come soon enough! Gotta see this thing!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 2:36 PM

The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that it will be a sunken bowl but with a horseshoe-shaped roof. Two of the most important design elements in the RFP were that it must be a sunken bowl and that it must be expandable for special events like the Grey Cup.

The open end could have lower bowl seating and a large multi-purpose plaza at grade that can view the field and will accommodate scaffolded bleachers.

I think the need for expansion seat areas would preclude Ceedub's great idea to have a hotel in the open end.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The more I think about this, the more I am convinced that it will be a sunken bowl but with a horseshoe-shaped roof. Two of the most important design elements in the RFP were that it must be a sunken bowl and that it must be expandable for special events like the Grey Cup.

The open end could have lower bowl seating and a large multi-purpose plaza at grade that can view the field and will accommodate scaffolded bleachers.

I think the need for expansion seat areas would preclude Ceedub's great idea to have a hotel in the open end.
It could still have a hotel, but during events where the extra seats would be required the view from the hotel would be sacrificed. As long as the hotel is set back far enough as to facilitate the erection of those temporary seats.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 3:51 PM

But let's be honest, there's no chance for a hotel there.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:02 PM
arf

^I see the hotel as slim to none too, but too bad. It would be convenient for visitors using the ice rinks during the winter and the Agribition crowd. While it's not downtown, it has a lot of events going on in the area that might give a hotel a decent amont of traffic. There is a hotel development around Dewdney and Lewvan isn't there?

I am eagerly awaiting the reveal.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
But let's be honest, there's no chance for a hotel there.
You're right, but always fun to dream until the design is released eh

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 5:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Regina_Boy View Post
You're right, but always fun to dream until the design is released eh
There's a hotel being built on the corner of Lewvan and Dewdney as well as Albert and Dewdney, not to mention the one at Capital Pointe as well. So I'd think a hotel attached to the stadium is not feasible. What would be feasible is a quality pub or restaurant that could serve the stadium and the exhibition grounds.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
There's a hotel being built on the corner of Lewvan and Dewdney as well as Albert and Dewdney, not to mention the one at Capital Pointe as well. So I'd think a hotel attached to the stadium is not feasible. What would be feasible is a quality pub or restaurant that could serve the stadium and the exhibition grounds.
Now that would be a great feature. Pre-Drink / Drink / Post-Drink... and allow tail gating

Old Posted Apr 23, 2014, 7:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Now that would be a great feature. Pre-Drink / Drink / Post-Drink... and allow tail gating
Yes!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 11:42 AM

Don't forget the fact that the design must be roof-ready as well.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 3:52 PM

I have received further information from seemingly reliable sources that appears contradictory. One says it will not be a true sunken bowl due to cost, but the other says it will be. I am not sure what to believe. No sunken bowl will be my biggest disappointment, if true.

I also heard that Elphinstone may be encroached upon and may eventually need to be slightly re-routed.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I have received further information from seemingly reliable sources that appears contradictory. One says it will not be a true sunken bowl due to cost, but the other says it will be. I am not sure what to believe. No sunken bowl will be my biggest disappointment, if true.

I also heard that Elphinstone may be encroached upon and may eventually need to be slightly re-routed.
I know it would be expensive but while we are all throwing out hypotheticals, may I suggest that Elphinstone be tunnelled under the CP mainline and a block north, allowing that area to be used by the stadium? Its not uncommon to have trains come through there right before or after Rider games, something that will become more significant and dangerous once the stadium is built right beside it!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
I know it would be expensive but while we are all throwing out hypotheticals, may I suggest that Elphinstone be tunnelled under the CP mainline and a block north, allowing that area to be used by the stadium? Its not uncommon to have trains come through there right before or after Rider games, something that will become more significant and dangerous once the stadium is built right beside it!
That would be a very nice thing to have happen. That would only leave Park St as a "major" road to cross. It might also be nice, if hypothetical, that a large concrete tunnel over the tracks were to be built and stairs running along the south side. So that the south entrance to the stadium would not have people wait for trains, but walk over the train tracks directly onto the stadium main level / main entrances.

Like this (Sorry Imgur Rotated it) Obviously the stadium shape is a representation, but I want kudos if I guessed right

Last edited by North_Regina_Boy; Apr 24, 2014 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:37 PM

Yes - there are way more trains on the CP mainline than there used to be and it is only going to get worse. Also the trains are way longer. Potash trains are 170 cars now. Oil unit trains I think can be up to 130.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2014, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
That would be a very nice thing to have happen. That would only leave Park St as a "major" road to cross. It might also be nice, if hypothetical, that a large concrete tunnel over the tracks were to be built and stairs running along the south side. So that the south entrance to the stadium would not have people wait for trains, but walk over the train tracks directly onto the stadium main level / main entrances.

Like this (Sorry Imgur Rotated it) Obviously the stadium shape is a representation, but I want kudos if I guessed right
I like your ambition NRB, and your idea. Something definitely needs to be done to allow pedestrian traffic to flow to and from the Cathedral area. Currently, a lot of people use Albert St (including myself) to get to Mosaic Stadium from the downtown area. I would guess most of that pedestrian traffic would shift to Elphinstone. Does anyone know if this was discussed in depth in the documents? I would sure hope so!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan