HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
The boldest architecture will probably ever be the Metropolitan,
I think the 937 would disagree...

(but that doesn't really change your point)

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 5:05 AM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Madrid View Post
I think the 937 would disagree...

(but that doesn't really change your point)
I recently spoke with a broker who says 50% of 937 is off the market. They're keeping the for sale inventory low so it appears the building has mostly sold. Personally, I have never been in the building so I don't know how accurate his comment was.

PS. I'd rather live in the Metropolitan for more outdoor space.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 7:28 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Whoa. Are you saying that 50% of the 937 building is still unsold? As in, vacant and empty? Wow. I love the fact that the building is long and narrow, with units that are mostly the opposite of typical shotgun lofts, with windows along the longer wall. If I could afford it, I'd move there in a heartbeat.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilo Rune 96 View Post
I recently spoke with a broker who says 50% of 937 is off the market. They're keeping the for sale inventory low so it appears the building has mostly sold. Personally, I have never been in the building so I don't know how accurate his comment was.
This was surprising to hear.

Out of curiosity, I went to PortlandMaps.com and checked the assessor's statement for units located randomly through the building - lower, middle, and upper floors. Of the 16 I checked, 15 had owners other than the developer. This isn't totally scientific, but it would be easy enough to check all of them if anyone was that interested and had the time.

It seemed that a lot were owned by investors. At least, their mailing address wasn't the same as the unit address.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:29 AM

Quote:

If you've ever looked at the 937 at night to see how many units have furniture, etc or otherwise look occupied this is a very accurate statement. The other day when I saw a statement that said it was 95% sold I was really surprised based on how empty it actually looks, so this would make sense.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2012, 4:31 PM

Quote:

Not to mention that many bedrooms in the 937 do not have windows.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2012, 9:52 PM

"The Janey" update 2-11-2012:

Last edited by philopdx; Mar 12, 2012 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2012, 6:38 PM

They're calling it 'The Janey' now.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Feb 28, 2012, 12:54 AM

Hope the sale closes this time and we end up with something awesome!

U.S. Custom House in Portland sells for $4.7 million
Published: Monday, February 27, 2012, 3:11 PM Updated: Monday, February 27, 2012, 3:32 PM
By Elliot Njus, The Oregonian

The U.S. Custom House in Portland appears to have sold at auction Monday for $4.7 million, nearly twice as much as the purchase price in an auction sale that fell through last year.

The winning bidder wasn't disclosed, and the General Services Administration -- the federal agency that handles surplus government property -- won't reveal who bought the building until the transaction has been finalized, a spokeswoman said.

The sale nearly doubles the $2.5 million property management firm PREM Group agreed to pay in 2010 in a deal that fell through. In fact, at least six bidders were willing to pay more than $3 million for the property.

Bidding started at $250,000 at the beginning of December and, after early bidding, the auction was scheduled to end Feb. 7. But under the auction's rules, each eleventh-hour bid touched off another 24-hour extension that kept bidding going for an extra 20 days.

The four-story 1901 building, located at 220 N.W. Eighth Ave. in the Pearl District, has been vacant since 2005. That year, the Army Corps of Engineers moved out.

Proposals to turn the building into a hotel and a school have fallen through, along with the 2010 auction. The building will likely need extensive renovations, depending on its planned use, and its place on the National Register of Historic Places means owners must agree to preserve its historic character.

-- Elliot Njus
Follow @enjus

http://impact.oregonlive.com/front-p...rtland_se.html

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 3:28 PM

Freedom Center: Update from 3-3-2012

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:08 PM

"The Janey" update from 3-11-2012:

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:47 PM

Homer Williams debuts immigrant-funded LA Marriott
Portland Business Journal by Wendy Culverwell , Business Journal staff writer
Date: Monday, March 19, 2012, 3:49pm PDT

Portland developer Homer Williams debuts his latest project, a 22-story hotel tower in downtown Los Angeles, one week from Wednesday.

As the Marriott project nears its unveiling in southern California, it’s worth noting back in Portland that the $172 million hotel development was funded by immigrant investors.

Williams hopes to replicate the formula in Portland, where he aims to develop a $20 million-plus Marriott project in the Pearl District using money from investors.

Williams & Dame Development and its partners financed the Los Angeles project through the federal EB-5 program. EB, for employment-based, awards green cards to investors who contribute $500,000 to $41 million to projects that create or preserve at least 10 U.S. jobs.

In Portland, Williams is working with the American Dream Fund to raise capital for the Residence Inn by Marriott Pearl development. He also is forming his own firm to broker EB-5 deals.

The EB-5 program generated more than $1.25 billion for U.S. projects in 2011 but remains relatively unknown in Oregon.

The state only recently landed firms to pursue EB-5 investors.

American Dream Fund and American United Development Group both secured government approval to operate in Oregon in 2011, but have not yet announced projects.

Those wanting to learn more about the financial tool that could generate hundreds of millions of investment capital for Oregon can attend “Unlocking Foreign Capital,” a daylong workshop slated for March 30 at the Governor Hotel in downtown.

The program is sponsored by American Dream Fund and the EB-5 Institute. For registration and fee information, visit the EB-5 Institute website.

Wendy Culverwell covers real estate, retail and hospitality.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/...ana=e_ptl_rdup

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 3:48 PM

Quote:
EB, for employment-based, awards green cards to investors who contribute $500,000 to $41 million to projects that create or preserve at least 10 U.S. jobs.
Am I understanding this program correctly? Rich foreigners can buy their way into the US by helping finance a building?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 5:23 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Yup!

Canada has a similar program, but you only need to invest $100,000 to buy a green card. Actually, they require it. Thats why Canada doesn't have the poor immigrant program - they only accept wealthy immigrants.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 3:51 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

Sadly, I'd bet a lot of countries do this. It's a way of importing capital, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's morally questionable (pitting it mildly) since it widens the gap between the haves and the have nots (or as George Bush would say, The Haves And The Have Mores (while pretending the Have Nots don't exist).

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 5:21 PM

Freedom Center from 4-7-2012:

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:49 AM
PearlHelp.com

Hey guys, I am in the process of restructuring a website I own; http://www.pearlhelp.com/ (for the Pearl District). Do you have any recommendations? What kind of content would you like to read on such a website?

So far my plans include a better search system, like Yelp. I also just hired a blogger to write more frequently... so she'll be writing about all the Pearl projects!

I will take any feedback

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 3:43 PM

^That's a great website! Very easy to use, I appreciate the simplicity in the design.

On your landing page I'd try to populate more stories on your "Pearl District News." If I was just a random visitor in town, two stories, one about a swimwear company and the other about MuRdEr, YIKES!

Also, for at the least the Eating/Shopping/Hotels I'd add in a rating system. Instead of the overused stars, how about pearls? I give this restaurant 5 pearls. LOL! I don't know. I do like the idea of a locally run Yelp like site, keep up the good work.

(Also, I think it's find your digs, not dig?)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 8:27 PM
PearlHelp.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Also, for at the least the Eating/Shopping/Hotels I'd add in a rating system. Instead of the overused stars, how about pearls? I give this restaurant 5 pearls. LOL! I don't know. I do like the idea of a locally run Yelp like site, keep up the good work.
The pearl rating system is a great idea! I will look into this.

The search will be just like Yelp: Search 'What' Near 'Where' (two search boxes)

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:41 AM

Apartment building proposed at former Powell's Technical Books site in the Pearl District

http://www.oregonlive.com/front-porc...lanned_at.html

tl;dr - 7 stories, LRS

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland