HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
No kidding, I'm going to that little Bratwurst stand on Stephen Ave for lunch today, and i cant wait (The Yodeling Sausage for those who don't know).
"Our 'wurst is the best".

My second favorite slogan ever.

Number one would be Bubba's, a burger chain in Hawaii, which was "We relish your buns."

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:40 PM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post

As for Sushi, I've really been to Sushi Tokyo and Sushi Ichiban. Same place really, just different names. Sushi still costs more than Mexican though, so it's a rare treat for me.
Do yourself a favour, next time you're out and about taking pics go to somewhere better, like Uptown Sushi on 11th and 11th, (another Furry favourite.) I find Shushi Tokyo to be dreadful.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 6:43 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Do yourself a favour, next time you're out and about taking pics go to somewhere better, like Uptown Sushi on 11th and 11th, (another Furry favourite.) I find Shushi Tokyo to be dreadful.
I've passed by US a few times but never gone in. Thanks for the tip. Again my point of reference isn't very large... Sushi Tokyo or Co-op's sushi pretty much (had Sushi-Q last night...)

One thing about Sushi Tokyo though: they have a killer location!

Flickr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
The new restaurant opening in the old Elephant & Castle space is going to be called "Tangerine Supper Club".

What's with the recent trend of horribly contrived restaurant names in this town?

And come visit my new restaurant, it's called New Century Marquee Restolounge & Grill.
I didn't know there was an Elephant & Castle pub in Calgary. The only one I've been to is in Guangzhou in China. I'm not sure the company knows their name and logo is being used over there in Asia because it's not on their website, lol. And I'm pretty sure there's one in Dongguan too

Also Globefish for Sushi - I've tried the Marda Loop location - nice.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:11 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepstar View Post
I like the idea of this thread, I can talk about restaurants all I want without feeling any guilt

So, folks, where's the best Indian buffet in town? I've been to a few of them, and they seem to be hit and miss. Tandoori hut is probably my favorite, it's reasonably priced and the food is good.
Glory of India and Tandoori Hut are both good for that area of town. My favorite place is 'Apna Sweethouse' way up in the northeast, so it's not well known, but it is good and cheap.

If you want authentic south Indian cuisine...something you don't see very often anywhere, try Mysore Palce in the northeast. Mysore Palace downtown is the same ownership, but different menu. The one in the northeast has Rasum, and Sambar, true South Indian Dossas, etc... I should mention that it is a veggie place.

Personally I'm not impressed with Moti's, I've heard Kashmiri bites. Has anyone tried Ivory?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:19 PM
What we play is life.

Shawarma: -Sammy's (17th Ave and 13th approx.)
-Jimmy's A&A (20th Ave and 13th NW)

Mexican: Salt and Peppers in Bowness

Mongol: Mongolie Grill

Thai: The King and I

Viet: Pho Hung Viet (Bow and 33rd)

Fondu: Grizzly House in Banff

Those are a few of my fav's. My schedule doesn't allow much time for cooking lately, so I rely on these guys to much.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:31 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Shawarma: Falafel King (Fouzi is REALLY nice)
Donair: Jimmy's A&A
Mexican: Juan's on 8th
TexMex: Magpie and Stump in Banff
Thai: Thai Sa On
Viet: Sunny's in Chinatown
Indian: Karma (130th Ave SE and Deerfoot)
Greek: Broken Plate (South Macleod)
Sushi: Towa

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:34 PM

If you're OK with fairly generic Mexican (Quesedillas, burritos, etc), I'm a big fan of Avacado in Deerfoot Meadows. Really nice little place.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
Shawarma: Falafel King (Fouzi is REALLY nice)
Indian: Karma (130th Ave SE and Deerfoot)
Greek: Broken Plate (South Macleod)
Oh ya, I forgot about Karma... they do GREAT Indian food... also have a lunch buffet.

When it comes to Greek, I love Broken Plate, but there's a little place on the corner of Heritage and Fairmont called Parthenon... little family run place, but has really good food.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:39 PM
Majestic

And idea what the price range is like at Parthenon? What are the dishes like? It's another of those places that I've passed by quite a bit but never gone into. I've been meaning to find more stuff so that my family doesn't get too monotonous.

I would not that what we think of commonly as "Mexican," Burritos for example, are to real Mexican as Ginger Beef is to authentic Chinese.

Flickr

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 7:46 PM
of Canada

Quote:
And idea what the price range is like at Parthenon? What are the dishes like? It's another of those places that I've passed by quite a bit but never gone into. I've been meaning to find more stuff so that my family doesn't get too monotonous.

I would not that what we think of commonly as "Mexican," Burritos for example, are to real Mexican as Ginger Beef is to authentic Chinese.
Parthenon is excellent! Don't remember the exact prices but it is reasonable in my opinion. <$20 for a main.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:24 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWin View Post
Parthenon is excellent! Don't remember the exact prices but it is reasonable in my opinion. <$20 for a main.
I've heard that Parthenon was good. I've never tried it before.

Greek: Broken Plate, or Santorini Taverna. Santorini taverna is expensive, and perhaps not the best value, but it is good food. Mykonos on Centre street used to be really good. Haven't eaten there in a long time though.

Mexican: Juan's

Vietnamese:
for Pho, Tranh's, in Huntington village is IMO the best
Quyhn;s up in Sunridge area is excellent, or Y2K by McMahon

Indian: There are plenty of good Indian restuarants around town, so it's difficult but here's my list

Apna Sweethouse, Clay Oven, or Tandoori Hut, Glory of India Puspa is really good.

Thai: Thai Rose Garden, Bangkoknoi
King and I is good, but a bit overpriced. The atmosphere and decor is the best.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Prices at Parthenon are VERY reasonable... definitely more affordable than Broken Plate. I fully recommend Parthenon to anybody who likes Greek. It feels really authentic with the grouchy old Greek owner serving your food, and his wife as the hostess upon your arrival. And ya, the food is really good. If you're going with a gf/wife/date, I recommend the "Dinner for Two"... on top of getting Calamari and Greek Salad to start, you get a big dinner platter with all kinds of stuff on it... think it runs something like $48 for the whole thing (which is really reasonable, considering you each get meal, salad, and appetizer).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:47 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 3:46 AM.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 8:55 PM
of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
Prices at Parthenon are VERY reasonable... definitely more affordable than Broken Plate. I fully recommend Parthenon to anybody who likes Greek. It feels really authentic with the grouchy old Greek owner serving your food, and his wife as the hostess upon your arrival. And ya, the food is really good. If you're going with a gf/wife/date, I recommend the "Dinner for Two"... on top of getting Calamari and Greek Salad to start, you get a big dinner platter with all kinds of stuff on it... think it runs something like $48 for the whole thing (which is really reasonable, considering you each get meal, salad, and appetizer).
My 10 year old told him, "This is the best food I've ever had."

I think he almost cried

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 9:19 PM
Build'em high!

Saigon Y2K in the northwest is my favorite for Vietnamese food. Vietnamese Village down in Deerfoot industrial park is surprisingly good.

As far as Thai food, Spicey Hut used to be far and away the best, but they have gone downhill a bit.

St. Germain is the best for French food. Red Door Bistro is pretty decent as well, but it really isn't true French food.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:35 PM
I'm the bear on the right

For the last month or so, there has been a Hot Dog vendor at the NE corner of 7th Avenue & 1st St SW. Every time, I get off the CTrain at 1st St, the smell of onions and hot dogs is quite pleasant. Haven't had one yet, as I'm usually running across 7th to my bus stop.

Agree completely about Oriental Phoenix in the South. But, haven't been there in ages. Loved the blended pineapple drink.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2007, 11:52 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Yeah, for Indian GoI is pretty stellar and the service is always good. The Apna Sweethouse is the cat's ass! A bit ghetto but the food is authentic and they have the best Masala Dossas in town.' Anapurna is also a great choice for all Vegetarian Indian Cuisine. I have always been a sucker for Rajdoot

For those of you in the NW be sure to try Masala Express for takout (Ranchlands). I have been going there for years and it is fantastic food froma mom and pop set up. Cheap too. Green Chili across from McMahon is pretty good but more expensive than Masala Express.

Going to India in December so I can't wait to munch! my biggest complaint is that Indian food still isn't cheap in this city. It is nice that there is more selection than there used to be (Taj and Rajdoot) and this city
s south asian community is certainly growing. But I want Vancouver prices. I'm talking CHEAP Quality indian food.

As for Mile One. I will give it a second chance at some point. But I really wasn't impressed. I went out for a business dinner with the sales team from Highbury last night. I liked the space but I was less than impressed with the service. 6 Servers and the place was empty, yet they were slow to serve you. Simply put, at your table when you didn't need them and not there when you did. Out appies took over 3o minutes to come and dinner was a bit longer. My biggest complaint was the $12+ martinis. Great Martinis but COME ON!!! $12? I don't mind paying that when I am at Melrose and I get a shaker full but $12 for just a tiny two sip martini.....

did I mention that they are $12!? God I love martinis but $12. Oh who am I kidding!? Maverick was paying so it's all good!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2007, 1:43 AM
Inflatable Hippo

When I am not working from home I live at this chinese/japanese place on the Plus 15 level of the Petrofina building.

$6 gets you a heaping plate of chinese food or stirfry, great super spicy ginger beef.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation