HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
My bad. I'm a little confused though. (I'm confused about a lot of things, but I'll stay on topic here.) The entire SW DT Austin area is being re-developed by different developers and includes at least the adjacent Seaholm/Gables/Austin Energy Control Center?/Demolished Green Water Treatment Facility. What exactly are we referring to when we say the Seaholm development vs. the Green development. At one point the Austin Energy site was part of Green, but isn't that being developed by a different developer than Trammel Crow who is developing the Green site?
The Seaholm development is outlined in red. The Green Water Treatment Plant development is outlined in pink.

I haven't heard anything about the Austin Energy site. I think they have to transfer the operations elsewhere first. It's always been more of a long-term deal, I think.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 8:54 PM

Quote:
My bad. I'm a little confused though. (I'm confused about a lot of things, but I'll stay on topic here.) The entire SW DT Austin area is being re-developed by different developers and includes at least the adjacent Seaholm/Gables/Austin Energy Control Center?/Demolished Green Water Treatment Facility. What exactly are we referring to when we say the Seaholm development vs. the Green development. At one point the Austin Energy site was part of Green, but isn't that being developed by a different developer than Trammel Crow who is developing the Green site?
The simple answer. Seaholm is west of the Creek. That was the old Electric plant. Green is East of the creek. That was the "Green Water Treatment" plant. Austin Energy control site is still occupied, west of the creek, north of Seaholm. While it was included in some of the speculative designs, it is not not.

How that for clean!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 2:39 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The simple answer. Seaholm is west of the Creek. That was the old Electric plant. Green is East of the creek. That was the "Green Water Treatment" plant. Austin Energy control site is still occupied, west of the creek, north of Seaholm. While it was included in some of the speculative designs, it is not not.

How that for clean!
The control center site is still happening. It was part of the Green sale, but the negotiations were completed first. They are waiting for the new facility to be finished for the operation to move out. I think it will be sometime next year.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 3:57 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
The control center site is still happening. It was part of the Green sale, but the negotiations were completed first. They are waiting for the new facility to be finished for the operation to move out. I think it will be sometime next year.
What control center?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:12 AM
~Hook'em~

The ECC was part of the Green sale? I thought that was separate and part of the 2008 deal was that the ECC couldn't be sold prior to April 2013? The Green couldn't be sold prior to April 2012 which is why it was voted on (and pushed back) last April.

At least that is how I remember it being, but very well could be confused.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:14 AM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
What control center?
The Electric Control Center. It is the site catty corner of the creek from the Music Hall. Accross that old bridge, north of 3rd, east of West (lol) and has that bend of the creek that make the north and east side of the lot.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:40 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Here's a more extensive version:

Red is the Green redevelopment.
Purple is the Seaholm redevelopment.
Orange is the Energy Control Center redevelopment.
Green is the Austin Library development.
Black is the Travis County Courthouse development.
Blue is the mixed use development currently under construction.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:54 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Ok I remember now, om out Downtown at the clubs drunk right now my bad lol.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:35 AM

2900 Manor Road

Quote:
It will be the largest single mixed use project to date that has been proposed for the M.L King Jr. Station TOD. Ground breaking fall 2012.
http://www.bigreddog.com/preview-of-...-austin-texas/

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 7:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I LOVE the design. I have to say, though, that it is a bit far from the station to be considered a transit oriented development... Either way it is a positive densifying element.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninatx View Post
b e a u t i f u l

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 10:31 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I LOVE the design. I have to say, though, that it is a bit far from the station to be considered a transit oriented development... Either way it is a positive densifying element.

In New York, aside from lower Manhattan, anything within 1/4 mile of a subway station is close.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinNYC View Post
In New York, aside from lower Manhattan, anything within 1/4 mile of a subway station is close.
Yes, well, remember that we're dealing with two completely separate mindsets vis-a-vis transit. New Yorkers' primary mode of transportation is mass transit, which necessarily - and out of necessity (pardon the wordplay there) - expands what you'd consider close. In practically every other American city the primary mode of transportation is car, which necessarily diminishes the pull of mass transit.

I.E. in order for a commute in mass transit to be reasonable in the mind of most Americans (and hence most Austinites) it (being the boarding platform or what have you) can't be much further away from where you parked your car. In this case, its way too far away.

I'm all for it w/ regard to density and proximity to downtown as it is energy efficient compared to a similar development in the suburbs, but marketing this as a transit oriented development is disingenuous.

Last edited by wwmiv; Jun 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 12:05 PM

Comparing Austin to New York City is probably not gonna fly. NYC is obviously a very unique city in America when it comes to density and transportation.

You might as well argue about whether a 37-story condo is tall, if you're using NYC as your comparison.

Austin is a very unique city too, but it seems more fit to compare it with Dallas or another TX city, or another city of relative size such as Cincinnati, Baltimore, or Charlotte.

Not trying to cause commotion. I just don't like a comparison of Austin vs NYC very much in general.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan View Post
Ah! Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmsalpha View Post
Comparing Austin to New York City is probably not gonna fly. NYC is obviously a very unique city in America when it comes to density and transportation.

You might as well argue about whether a 37-story condo is tall, if you're using NYC as your comparison.

Austin is a very unique city too, but it seems more fit to compare it with Dallas or another TX city, or another city of relative size such as Cincinnati, Baltimore, or Charlotte.

Not trying to cause commotion. I just don't like a comparison of Austin vs NYC very much in general.
You may not want to compare Austin to Dallas on this forum.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:13 PM
~Hook'em~

Quote:
Austin is a very unique city too, but it seems more fit to compare it with Dallas or another TX city

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 5:50 PM

Lol. Well I oftentimes hear people say they're afraid of Austin becoming "South Dallas". Really, there is not another city like Austin that I can think of, so finding somewhere to compare it to is hard. But when I hear something like that, it makes me think that people do in fact compare the cities in some way. For instance, you could compare decisions that had different outcomes when it comes to zoning or transportation that caused the two cities to go in different directions. Or using Dallas' history to show Austin the wrong way to do something.

I always thought Portland would be a good city to compare Austin to, but obviously they have a much tighter urban growth boundary and a more mature public transportation system, at least as far as rail is concerned.

I greatly apologize for using the D-word.

In the end, my point was the same. Comparing Austin to NYC is probably a bad idea.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Lol. Well I oftentimes hear people say they're afraid of Austin becoming "South Dallas". Really, there is not another city like Austin that I can think of, so finding somewhere to compare it to is hard. But when I hear something like that, it makes me think that people do in fact compare the cities in some way. For instance, you could compare decisions that had different outcomes when it comes to zoning or transportation that caused the two cities to go in different directions. Or using Dallas' history to show Austin the wrong way to do something.

I always thought Portland would be a good city to compare Austin to, but obviously they have a much tighter urban growth boundary and a more mature public transportation system, at least as far as rail is concerned.

I greatly apologize for using the D-word.

In the end, my point was the same. Comparing Austin to NYC is probably a bad idea.
I guess it depends on the topic being discussed as to what cities are appropriate comparisons. But one steadfast rule is never ever compare Austin and San Antonio (and vice versa) under any circumstance.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2012, 8:21 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on the topic being discussed as to what cities are appropriate comparisons. But one steadfast rule is never ever compare Austin and San Antonio (and vice versa) under any circumstance.
Lets count the ways... that Austin and San Antonio rivalries can be stirred up. 1) Listing Austin before San Antonio... Oops. Did I do that twice already?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations