HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 1:41 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Our most prominent local record shop is Backstreet Records, on Germain Street. This article gives a good overview.

Quote:
Record setter: Backstreet Records founder still feelin' groovy
Running your own business means a lot of sacrifices, industry veteran says after 36 years
By Julia Wright, CBC News Posted: Nov 14, 2016 6:00 AM AT

It was 1979 when Gordie Tufts first thought about opening a record store.

"Record prices were creeping up to — get this — like $8.98, and people were complaining that was too pricey," said Tufts, the owner of Backstreet Records in Saint John and Fredericton.

On a trip to Halifax,Tufts noticed two stores dealing in used records and collectibles. He came back to Saint John with a novel idea: a used record store in the uptown.

The first Backstreet Records shop opened in 1980 in the Ritchie Building, a few doors from O'Leary's Pub on Princess Street.

Things were rocky at first: there was a rash of break-ins. Then the store was destroyed by arson on Christmas Eve 1982.

Two months later, Backstreet relocated to a compact 600-square-foot storefront at 124 Germain St.

It's been there ever since.

Backstreet's in-store shows by local acts like Bad People, Motherhood, and Little You Little Me, as well as bigger regional stars like Joel Plaskett and Rose Cousins, can attract attendees ranging from teenagers to senior citizens.

Recently, both Dave Cousins of U.K. rock veterans the Strawbs and Jay Ferguson of Sloan were in the store.

"The age difference between them is probably 40 years," said Tufts, "and they were chatting about the business and what it's like to be on the road. It was interesting to see."

Plain "stubbornness," Tufts says, has allowed Backstreet to stay open while others, including big chains like Sam the Record Man, Radioland, and CD Plus, have long been relegated to the dustbin of recorded music history.

"We never stopped selling vinyl," said Tufts, adding the store simply added cassettes and CDs to the shelves when those formats were in their heyday, rather than tossing out vinyl, as many other retailers did in the '90s.

"We've always been there and catered to a collector's market."

The rise of digital music has contributed to "down periods in the 36 years we've been hanging out," Tufts said.

"But we kept going. It's "customers that keep the doors open.

"It's a knowledge of the local scene, and keeping an eye on the shows and CD releases that allows us to rely mainly on word-of-mouth."

Saint John is known as an industrial hub that lives and dies on major projects; however, small businesses, just as much as multibillion-dollar industries, have shaped fabric of the 231-year-old city.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:07 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
On Saturday my wife, son and I went on a university tour and saw a typical residence that he could live in. It was a Saturday afternoon and the place was so quiet. No mega speakers like Molson has. These young whippersnappers have their collection of music on their phones for their own personal enjoyment...considering most of it is crap it may be a good thing we don't have to listen to it.

We met up with my wife's sister and her family who have a son considering going to this university. About 4 years ago they moved to a more rural setting and the net result is the 17 year old cousin/nephew has developed an appreciation for C & W along the standard top 40 and hip hop dirge.

This video sums it up. I know Molson hates this music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySgNm8qH-I

World's worst music. Silverado jacked-up truck shimmy down over here hot stuff with jeans painted-on tight and grab that real good feel good stuff and got a shotgun seat for you.
Quote:
drink my beer i fuck my horse i matsturbate while looking other houses windows i kill myself im going thru a divorce i hurt my children i drive a tractor koby keith is the greatest actor
and
Quote:
Trucks, trucks, trucks, how bout you get yo' fine ass in dis truck. Beer, beer, beer, good stuff, I got the good stuff gurl how bout' you drink some of dat' good stuff. Gurl, gurl, gurl, gurl, I'm so fucking drunk wanna get in my truuuuuuuuck?
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:24 AM
HVAC guru

^ wow, that's good stuff! You missed your calling

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
^ wow, that's good stuff! You missed your calling
Reminds me of that old joke.

What do you get when you play a country song backwards?

You get your truck back, your girl back and your dog is alive and well.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 3:18 AM
Registered Drug User

Since we're on the topic of stereos/speakers:

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 9:50 AM
video et taceo

I like vinyl for the ritual aspect. You put a record on, you listen to that record, that's what you're doing. It's a long-attention-span medium.

Millennial Spotify DJing, by comparison, often consists of the first 5 seconds of 11 songs before you get going; "oh wait, wrong version..."

Its like being at a party in the 90s where some guy picks up an acoustic and "wait just a second"s his way through the intro to some old Led Zep song for half an hour.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 1:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Reminds me of that old joke.

What do you get when you play a country song backwards?

You get your truck back, your girl back and your dog is alive and well.
frontwards, it is pretty awful stuff:

Quote:
"Shake it for the birds, shake it for the bees
Shake it for the catfish swimming down deep in the creek
For the crickets and the critters and the squirrels"
Quote:
"I heard he's got a Prius, 'cause he's into bein' green
My buddies said he saw ya'll, eatin' that sushi stuff
Baby that don't sound like you, that don't sound like love, sounds like it sucks..."
Quote:
“I ain’t much for mowin’ thick grass/ I’m too slow for workin’ too fast/ I don’t do windows so honey don’t ask/ But I’m pretty good at drinkin’ beer.”
Quote:
"Them pantyhose aint gonna last too long
If the DJ puts Bon Jovi on
She might come home in a table cloth
Ya tequila makes her clothes fall off"
Quote:
"You lie like a priceless Persian rug on
a rich man's floor
and you lie like a coon dog basking
in the sunshine on my porch
Well you lie like a penny in a parking
lot at the grocery store"
Quote:
Yeah baby lookin so fine with a tear in her jeans her momma never fixed, shimmy your hot little ass up into my big nuts jacked up truck and make a little moonlight magic in the back while drinking some of that ice cold beer, baby just pass it down over here as we drive on down that old dirt road, down to the river and watch that sun go down and the crickets sing their song
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/indie...ountry_lyrics/
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:23 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

LOL!

They do usually have really cute girls in their music videos though. (But that's still not enough to make me watch them.)

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 5:21 PM

Our local brewery is teaming up with our local arts council to bring the third Analog Pop Up Vinyl Shop, which brings together about a half-dozen record stores together with a handful of music labels for a one-night-only vinyl shop. They're even going to have a limited edition beer on hand called High Fidelity!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:00 AM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpseatles View Post

In London and Kitchener I mostly go to The Beat Goes On, which is a fantastic chain of used CD/DVD stores (and some new vinyl) in southern Ontario. Excellent selection, always very cheap (usually $4-8 for most CDs), and never had any problems with the discs.

While I'm glad to hear that Sunrise is taking over some HMV locations I've never been a huge fan. I find their selection to be poor, and prices to be fairly high. Like HMV prior to its demise they also seem to pander to pop culture trends, instead of focusing on the music. Nevertheless I wish them luck. As I said before, I think that it's important to have stores like that in suburban malls.
I started collecting CD's when I was twelve, and my mom bought me two albums. Later on, I began buying CD's from The Beat Goes On when I'd go there with my grandma. The selection in there is overall fairly good, but the bands and albums I look for (which have a few million fans/are or had been fairly popular)are usually not there. I've sometimes bought CD's online, though I prefer going to an actual store rather than through the internet UNLESS the CD is an EP or single that's really hard to come by.

I liked HMV, even with it's weird attempt at branching out with merchandising and headsets and audio and toys. The move to Sunrise Records is very strange I gotta say.....I went into a Sunrise Records once relatively recently and the albums weren't even alphabetically ordered, so anything I looked for was going to take a while to find. It feels like they're going the route of HMV, though I would rather have them there as you said.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:50 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

It's the not the biggest or the fanciest place around, but my favourite local record shop is Cosmos Records on Queen St. It's a tight, dingy little space with a great collection of mostly obscure, vintage disco, soul, house, japanese, and hip hop records, run by a chill guy with a cute dog.

http://alarm-magazine.com/2010/behin...ds-toronto-on/

But of course, for overall selection you can't beat Sonic Boom. It's the obvious and objective choice for best record shop in town.

http://sonicboommusic.com/home227/

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 4:52 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I got me some of those, but sadly, I have recently found that one has basically rotted out due to too many years in an unfinished basement (former house).
Does it sound ok though? I have some B+W which must have gotten wet as the bottom particle board is coming apart, but they still sound normal/fine.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 4:53 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Mandatory New Yorker cartoon

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Since getting back into vinyl after a long hiatus I've fallen in love with independent record shops. Along with used book shops, they're among the most soulful places a city can have, in my opinion (see this thread here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ight=book+shop).

What shops do you go to for the selection, the vibe, or just because walking around stacks of records makes you feel good? Yeah, I read High Fidelity and watched the movie too. Loved both.

Stratford's got two places that are well worth a look if you're into vinyl.

Diamond Dogs: Obviously a Bowie aficionado. Fairly sizable used selection with obscure gems to be found if you have the time to hunt. Some nice new stuff at the standard nice new prices (i.e. $35 or more--yikes).

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.36917...7i13312!8i6656

Sound Fixation: Small but with a startlingly eclectic selection. Stooges, Can, Pixies, Coltrane, you name it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.37073...7i13312!8i6656

Pro tip: Baby boomer high school music teachers have been and are continuing to retire in droves, and they're liquidating their record collections. If you're into classical music (or just getting into it, like I am) you can find all kinds of amazing used stuff for $5 or less.
My sister and her boyfriend are obsessed with records! They even have their own Instagram page The Grape Vinyl. People are really getting into these things again, it's a decent sized movement. Even the new artists are releasing the album in vinyl again. It's considered a collectors item.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 5:47 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
Does it sound ok though? I have some B+W which must have gotten wet as the bottom particle board is coming apart, but they still sound normal/fine.
Alas, no. They had been stored the wrong way, and one woofer is just shredded. The photo isn't mine, btw. My Cerwin-Vega speakers are actually a size larger.

I just love studying album covers. Can't do that with CDs or MP3s. Or Cassettes.

As a kid, I would usually stare at the album cover that was playing on the turntable.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:17 AM

Quote:
On Saturday my wife, son and I went on a university tour and saw a typical residence that he could live in. It was a Saturday afternoon and the place was so quiet. No mega speakers like Molson has. These young whippersnappers have their collection of music on their phones for their own personal enjoyment...considering most of it is crap it may be a good thing we don't have to listen to it.

We met up with my wife's sister and her family who have a son considering going to this university. About 4 years ago they moved to a more rural setting and the net result is the 17 year old cousin/nephew has developed an appreciation for C & W along the standard top 40 and hip hop dirge.

This video sums it up. I know Molson hates this music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WySgNm8qH-I
Seriously, I think there is still a lot of great music now, as much as before. Just don't expect to hear it on the radio, especially not top 40. I don't know anything about country, but I assume it is in the same situation.

My favourite albums from this year are B Boys' Dada and Wolf Alice's Visions of a Life. I have no complaints.

I'm not a hip hop fan either but the A Tribe Called Quest album last year was really good also.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:27 AM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I got me some of those, but sadly, I have recently found that one has basically rotted out due to too many years in an unfinished basement (former house).
I remembered this post.. I just finished renovating my basement and got the ol’ CV’s set up. ‘80’s rule

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 2:38 AM

^ Very cool.

80s did rule

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada