HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Yes, this can be verified on Wikipedia.
This ranking (Beta +) is the reworking of the categorization by Loughborough University, and comes through Wikipedia, which is pretty reliable.
I'm flabbrgasted to see Vancouver ahead of Seattle and Osaka.

another source:
http://www.diserio.com/gawcworldcities2010.jpg

is this list in order even within each category. It doesn't seem to be in alphabetical order.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I can see why Vancouver is ahead of Seattle... they have held the Olympics, have sufficient(and then some) transit infrastructure, extremely diverse population, etc.

Dunno why it is ahead of Osaka though. But I'm sure the ranking system has its reasons.
Seattle, with major corporations like Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon .... plus technical infrastructure and education, is why I mentioned it. Seattle seems to have a real economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I don't know why some people like so much to bash their hometown, but truth is that Vancouver is doing very well among global cities and for multiple reasons, like others have already described. Vancouver is by no means a small and internationally unrecognized town anymore - it hasn't been such since the late 80s!

I think Beta+ is pretty well-matching group for Vancouver to be in and it wouldn't take too much to climb the chart even more. I think for that Vancouver should be able to attract some major corporations into town to bring some business power, which is one area this city is lacking in.
I don't like bashing my hometown at all. I wish it would get some business power (which Seattle has more of). Developing our pharmaceutical industry would be a good place to start.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 9:48 AM

Quote:
Seattle, with major corporations like Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon .... plus technical infrastructure and education, is why I mentioned it. Seattle seems to have a real economy.

I don't like bashing my hometown at all. I wish it would get some business power (which Seattle has more of). Developing our pharmaceutical industry would be a good place to start.
it's the taxes that hinder major companies from setting up their headquarters here. and people keep saying that this city isn't an office headquarter city - so nothing's going to ever change.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 9:50 AM

Quote:
Yes, this can be verified on Wikipedia.
This ranking (Beta +) is the reworking of the categorization by Loughborough University, and comes through Wikipedia, which is pretty reliable.
I'm flabbrgasted to see Vancouver ahead of Seattle and Osaka.

another source:
http://www.diserio.com/gawcworldcities2010.jpg

I can see Vancouver move up from Beta + to Alpha -

even up to Alpha, but maybe never beyond that. not for a very very long time.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancity View Post
it's the taxes that hinder major companies from setting up their headquarters here. and people keep saying that this city isn't an office headquarter city - so nothing's going to ever change.
Can you be more specific? BC has some of the lowest corporate taxes in North America.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 5:19 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Can you be more specific? BC has some of the lowest corporate taxes in North America.
This is correct, but we need to remember that it's a relatively new thing. Our taxes used to be on the highest side not that long ago and are why we bled head offices/regional offices.
Head offices do not just up and relocate easily so we shouldn't expect them to come back now that are taxes are lower unless they are taxed very unfavourably where they currently are. What we will see though is new companies start up and stay here. The problem is it takes time, lots of time. We are just starting to see the changes filter thru, hopefully we don't see any policy plans to end it.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
This is correct, but we need to remember that it's a relatively new thing. Our taxes used to be on the highest side not that long ago and are why we bled head offices/regional offices.
Head offices do not just up and relocate easily so we shouldn't expect them to come back now that are taxes are lower unless they are taxed very unfavourably where they currently are. What we will see though is new companies start up and stay here. The problem is it takes time, lots of time. We are just starting to see the changes filter thru, hopefully we don't see any policy plans to end it.
Yes, in fact I think it's almost "too late" to expect head offices to re-locate here. However these policies help new companies starting here that have made it big (like Lululemon) to stay. And companies like Telus deciding to move the HQ here rather than Alberta.

That being said, you can't blame tax rates for decisions made today.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 6:05 PM

Quote:
More like the high cost of housing. If you realized you were going to have to pay people enough to afford something in Vancouver, you'd turn tail and set up shop in Seattle.

Seattle-Queen Anne Hill
http://www.estately.com/listings/info/305-blaine-st

vs

Vancouver-Cambie/Riley Park
http://www.realtylink.org/prop_searc...000000&SCTP=RS

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 6:09 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
More like the high cost of housing. If you realized you were going to have to pay people enough to afford something in Vancouver, you'd turn tail and set up shop in Seattle.
So if that's the case, that means the median wage is much higher in Vancouver than in Seattle?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 6:27 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

It means companies with workers with high-demand and mobile workers will have to buck up. Things like live out or housing allowances and gas allowances have to be high around here.

If you're trying to attract people to a job and they're obviously not going to be as well off in Vancouver, chances are you aren't going to get first pick of people unless they're really after our lifestyle or their family has other links to here.

Right now might be the exception since the states has had such a rough ride recently, but it definitely drives YUPs like me to look at moving to other places as a good financial move. I've had a lot of friends in mining move to Australia because Vancouver is expensive. While Australia is also expensive, the compensation is much better currently. Trading Vancouver for Perth doesn't seem like that bad a of a deal in my eyes.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 6:49 PM

Lets not compare the US and Canada just yet. Health care and standard of living can be two huge differences that make this a little more difficult to calculate.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 7:42 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
So if that's the case, that means the median wage is much higher in Vancouver than in Seattle?
I hope that's sarcasm.
Nope. It means Seattle can attract and maintain head offices more easily because they don't have to pay their employees as high a wage.

Seattle has a strong middle-class sipping cappuccinos at Starbucks.
Vancouver has a strong barista-class serving cappuccinos at Starbucks.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 7:50 PM
loafing in lotusland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
I can see why Vancouver is ahead of Seattle... they have held the Olympics, have sufficient(and then some) transit infrastructure, extremely diverse population, etc.

Dunno why it is ahead of Osaka though. But I'm sure the ranking system has its reasons.
Japan is very Tokyo centric. Tokyo is such a large city that it really drains any possibility of another large city. The UK is similar with only London as a major city of any signifigance. There is also an East/West divide in Japan.

In the past they've tried to bid for the Olympics in Osaka and they've also tried to make KIX an international gateway. There was optimism during the economic bubble, but Japan's economy has been sinking for over a decade and since then the focus always goes back to Tokyo.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 9:33 PM

Quote:

Vancouver is a major player in the mining industry, which is a huge industry that gets little visibility, but business people are generally aware of this fact, and I think it pushes us up rankings.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 10:05 PM

Vancouver's median wage is the similar to Seattle
It just costs more to live in Vancouver.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejaw View Post
Vancouver's median wage is the similar to Seattle
It just costs more to live in Vancouver.
Hence we are all worse off.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I can see Vancouver move up from Beta + to Alpha -

even up to Alpha, but maybe never beyond that. not for a very very long time.
it's in the alpha - class in other rankings, moved up from a gamma+ 4 yrs ago...but population growth helps to strengthen that status

butit won't be l.a or nyc, not with the current develeopment, that includes that fancy outlet...u need a lot more to rise in this competitive world...salary, economy, history, culture etc.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
These are exactly the countries I'm talking about. Although these countries seems to have better road and public transit infrastructures, but they are awfully inadequate during peak hours. The traffic jam are much worse and train and buses are way overcrowded. When I was there, I'd avoid peak hour travel at all cost, while I'm pretty much indifferent in Vancouver...
Agreed.

My life experiences don't come from Asia but rather Europe, North, Central and South America but I assume the problems will be fairly similar.

During peak times its not just the transportation and transit infrastructure that often suffers but its the even more important stuff like the power grid, water distribution,etc. In Vancouver stuff just works, the water comes out of your tap nice and clean every day, your power is always on and stable, natural gas keeps flowing, transit and roads are generally usable even during peak times, toilets flush even with toilet paper in them, etc....

Most places dont have it so good.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio View Post
Agreed.

My life experiences don't come from Asia but rather Europe, North, Central and South America but I assume the problems will be fairly similar.

During peak times its not just the transportation and transit infrastructure that often suffers but its the even more important stuff like the power grid, water distribution,etc. In Vancouver stuff just works, the water comes out of your tap nice and clean every day, your power is always on and stable, natural gas keeps flowing, transit and roads are generally usable even during peak times, toilets flush even with toilet paper in them, etc....

Most places dont have it so good.
In Florida it is not recommended to drink water from the tap.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2012, 6:14 PM
Can I has a tunnel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Japan is very Tokyo centric. Tokyo is such a large city that it really drains any possibility of another large city. The UK is similar with only London as a major city of any signifigance. There is also an East/West divide in Japan.

In the past they've tried to bid for the Olympics in Osaka and they've also tried to make KIX an international gateway. There was optimism during the economic bubble, but Japan's economy has been sinking for over a decade and since then the focus always goes back to Tokyo.
You do realize that the Osaka metro area is like 20M people right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure