HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 10:16 PM
Here and There

If you want to raft a flooded, swift moving, churning, ice cold, dangerous river with a history of stealing lives, and no guide and rescue gear.......then be my guest!

I prefer to wait until I can see the bottom everywhere and the river is calm enough to walk in some places.

Condolences to the family.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 10:31 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
I see your point, I think that the reason they close Glenmore is the dam, if for some reason (heavy rain, high temperatures, etc.) the city has to suddenly reduce the reservoir level it becomes dangerous for users of regardless experience levels or equipment.

The police keep talking about jurisdictional issues, which Transport Canada has since debunked, it seems both would fall under the same section of law and the police should have equal powers over both, maybe it's time for the provincial/federal government to get more money in place to support the regulation of these waterways.
I've been doing dryland practices from the shore and majority of time the ban on the Glenmore Reservoir seems absurd as the water is like glass. Also, cause we are doing short trial runs that our watercraft is nowhere near the inlet or outlet of the Glenmore. There is an oarsman that's job is to navigate the craft and everyone wears lifejackets. Average experience of people on the boat is about 5 years, with the team being around for about 10 years. I think the biggest risk for our boat tipping is from a sudden squall. Whereas the risk of a raft flipping over on the Bow River is probably about 100 times what it is on the Glenmore. From a safety perspective, there is also a lot of chatter between teams about water conditions whereas I get the sense that watercraft users on the Bow River are much more independent and may not fully understand water conditions as it pertains to their skill level.

In my opinion, City of Calgary and federal government should try to offload some of the responsibility of better education on to grass roots community organizations that use these waterways for recreational purposes. Also, by providing year round access to the water through organizations like Calgary Canoe Club etc. it helps accelerate people on learning safety versus if someone tries something like rafting alone down the river.

Funding may not be required if City of Calgary and federal government were instead to promote increasingly competent watercraft users through competent clubs instead.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2012, 10:45 PM
Here and There

They need to air a TV commercial right away outlining the dangers of the Weir in high water.....or medium water, possibly even low water......There should also be a radio ad and a facebook ad. Facebook has already spread the message a little bit, but we need to show people how the river current will actually suck you under. It feel like someone grabs your ankles and pull your head under; sometimes a struggle, even with a life jacket.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 12:17 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Might as well flog this horse to death. With all of this discussion about how the "safe" side is now actually a Class II, it's interesting to see what's on the actual project's website:

Quote:
Using an existing small island below the weir, the river will be divided into two channels: a gentle channel to the south (river right) and a more challenging channel to the north (river left). Signage and design features will be used to encourage people floating down the river to use the south channel. More advanced canoeists and kayakers will be able to practice their skills on several waves on the north channel.
Quote:
What if I fall into the water?

Presently, a fall over the weir would almost certainly lead to death. Once the modifications are in place, falling into the water above the weir will be like falling into other sections of the Bow River. There will be areas of faster water separated by slow, deep pools from which most people can easily swim or walk to shore. As on the rest of the Bow River, all river users need to be aware of the hazards of falling in.
I don't know, this doesn't sound like "Class II rapids" that "no one on a raft should ever go through".

Contrast this with Mayor Nenshi's recent comments:

Quote:
“Even though it’s much safer than the weir was, it really is for experienced people, for experienced rafters and kayakers — it’s not for people like me, who are floating down the river. And I’m not sure we made that clear enough.
Naheed, when the weir project itself is stating that it IS for people floating down the river...

Yeah. Either someone needs to get their head out of their ass, or stop crying wolf and admit that this is merely a high water problem.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2012, 6:36 AM
Realtor

In March of 2010 Daily Planet (The Discovery Channel) did a video on the old/new weir.

http://watch.discoverychannel.ca/dai...10/#clip280303

Skip to the 8 minute mark of the video.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2012, 2:04 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Interesting look at the construction, thanks for finding that.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 3:38 AM

Drive to Vancouver

Question for someone who has done it recently, how long does it take to drive to Vancouver from Calgary? I have several people telling me anywhere from 8-15 hours.

Leaving on a Friday that is not a long weekend, and hopefully on the road by 5:30 AM, so missing rush hour.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 4:17 AM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Question for someone who has done it recently, how long does it take to drive to Vancouver from Calgary? I have several people telling me anywhere from 8-15 hours.

Leaving on a Friday that is not a long weekend, and hopefully on the road by 5:30 AM, so missing rush hour.

It takes me 11 hours to Horseshoe Bay in West Van with a stop for gas and a few quick pee stops. I stay close to the speed limit and I let the passers pass. I try not to eat too much because that can make me sleepy and I don't over-caffeinate because that means more pee stops!
The time change is in your favour heading west.

Last edited by Jimby; Jul 12, 2012 at 4:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 4:18 AM

Quote:

Last time I drove it (2.5 years ago) going the other way I left Vancouver about 10am, pitstop in Kelowna for a meal and I was in Cochrane by 11:30.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:43 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Just did the drive last week with a 2 month old and a 2 year old. Left at 5:30am with stops in Golden, Revy, Salmon Arm, Kamloops and the Coqualla(sp) (all stops averages 30 mins). We arrived in Van at 5:30pm. Didn't speed so you can totally do it faster.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:17 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the input and lines up with what I was expecting.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:35 PM

I usually do it in about 10 hours, and that includes a stop for lunch in Revy. I usually go about 20km/h over the speed limit (except when passing, then I floor it). I have never got a speeding ticket in BC either.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I usually do it in about 10 hours, and that includes a stop for lunch in Revy. I usually go about 20km/h over the speed limit (except when passing, then I floor it). I have never got a speeding ticket in BC either.
You're lucky, I've had extremely bad luck in BC when it comes to tickets. I'd say the majority of mine in the past 10 years have been in BC.

I'm usually between the 10 to 11 hour mark. A bit longer by motorcycle as I need to stop more.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
You're lucky, I've had extremely bad luck in BC when it comes to tickets. I'd say the majority of mine in the past 10 years have been in BC.

I'm usually between the 10 to 11 hour mark. A bit longer by motorcycle as I need to stop more.
I rarely get a speeding ticket (anywhere) and always drive fast. I am always looking out for cops though, I try to keep an eye on any car that is similar to ones they drive and slow down when I see any car pulled over on the side of the road. I caught myself going about 165km/h down one of the steep hills between Merrit and Kelowna, I slowed down promptly after that lol.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 9:29 PM

Quote:
I rarely get a speeding ticket (anywhere) and always drive fast. I am always looking out for cops though, I try to keep an eye on any car that is similar to ones they drive and slow down when I see any car pulled over on the side of the road. I caught myself going about 165km/h down one of the steep hills between Merrit and Kelowna, I slowed down promptly after that lol.
I rarely get tickets as well, yet I always drive over the speed limit. I do the same as you, but I also like to follow someone a tad faster. I also like to rely on my Spidey sense.

On the July long weekend, I explained to my GF my system as we rocketed out to Fairmont for the weekend. I told her that I speed intelligently. Fastward about 45 minutes and I'm blasting down 93 and see a white car coming towards me, I hesitated a bit and didn't slow down quick enough. Sure enough, busted.

Needless to say, my GF spent the majority cracking jokes about speeding inteligently. I did point out that if I had followed my rules and waited until someone faster passed me, I probably wouldn't have gotten pulled over.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I am similar to you as well. I am going to be extra dilligent with watching my speed though in BC, as they now have that new rule of impounding your car on the spot if you are going 40 over. While I normally consider 40 over to be a bit excessive, hitting 130 in a 90 zone in one of the parks is not unexpected (stretch next to Field for instance). I will have to keep an eye on my speed.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 10:30 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
I am similar to you as well. I am going to be extra dilligent with watching my speed though in BC, as they now have that new rule of impounding your car on the spot if you are going 40 over. While I normally consider 40 over to be a bit excessive, hitting 130 in a 90 zone in one of the parks is not unexpected (stretch next to Field for instance). I will have to keep an eye on my speed.
Watch out for bears! I had near death experiences both ways on my last trip.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 10:36 PM

Bears as in police (smokey?), or the real thing? Either way, I will be keeping an eye out.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 11:48 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Bears as in police (smokey?), or the real thing? Either way, I will be keeping an eye out.
black bears running out on the highway in front of me!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 6:21 PM
cow orker

Quote:
The wife and I drove out (and back) to Ladysmith last weekend, and I looked down at the speedo on the Coqahalla (sp? lol) and we were doing 160 in her Mazda 3...I wouldn't be writing this if I had her car impounded.

We made it back in 12 hrs, although there was a parking lot for about 45 minutes between Revy and Golden, and the morning traffic between Van and Hope.

I need a mind control device to get the idiots out of the left lane, and a death ray for the four POS's that pulled out in front of me at the last second with out signalling, even though there were six billion SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs in BC alone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation