HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Bell Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Denver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 4:54 AM
Tribune in all her glory.

Wow, this is absolutely beautiful!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 5:39 PM

Very exciting and dymanic design.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 8:32 PM

Not a bad design. If anything, it is emblematic of the fact that Denver developers are willing to step out of their comfort zone and eschewing a status-quo design. I think the realization could be quite interesting, and there is enough dynamic geometry to give it some presence; a good thing considering the visibility of its site.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 9:43 PM

Dead sexy tower.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 12:20 AM

I love it, though I will also echo that I like the original white office building with the arched windows more.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2009, 5:18 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Not a bad design. If anything, it is emblematic of the fact that Denver developers are willing to step out of their comfort zone and eschewing a status-quo design. I think the realization could be quite interesting, and there is enough dynamic geometry to give it some presence; a good thing considering the visibility of its site.
Are we talking about the same Denver here? City of the box?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 8:13 PM

This was posted in the Westword blog today. It's an interview about this tower with the developer, Buzz Geller.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...n_the_bell.php

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 10:50 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

How's it bad?

You go down the sidewalk, make a right, cross 14th and you are in LoDo. You cross Speer, go south, and you are at a King Sooper's grocery store, the closest one to Downtown.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 11:52 PM

Shoot, you could ride you bike down Cherry Creek, which sits between the north and southbound lanes of Speer all the way to Cherry Creek Mall.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:33 AM

I like it very much. I find it alluring.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 6:51 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

I luv the sleek lines! It's sexy, I hope it gets built.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 10:50 PM
Chairman

To me, the architecture has a hint of Fountain Place in Downtown Dallas.

-sb

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:31 AM

This project was approved today.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 3:23 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Excellent news! I'm glad the revised design only required that the building be slimmed down and nothing else. We'll see how well it sells in this economy. At $1,000-1,500 a square foot, that puts it into Chicago/New York prices!!! I'm surprised they may have already sold 8 or more units.

I'm not surprised, however, to see residents from Larimer Place come to the board meeting to voice their opposition to the tower. Damn NIMBYs.

Last edited by FrancoRey; Feb 6, 2009 at 3:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 3:30 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Following the meeting, Geller said he has interest from four Asians who are interested in buying units as investments, and the possibility of four other investors, whom he thinks are from South America.
from here

Is it just me, or does this sound ignorant, and borderline racist?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
from here

It's just you.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:40 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onishenko View Post
from here

It's you.

Though the article could have probably re-worded it to "four Asian investors".

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 2:58 PM
Urban Advocate

/\ yeah, that would have sounded a little better. Anyways... moving on.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 18, 2009, 1:01 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Just a classic: Attack of the NIMBYs!

From the Rocky Mountain News
February 17, 2009
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...have-hit-snag/

Bell Tower condo project may have hit snag
Retired lawyer files protest with Landmark Preservation Commission

The $250 million Bell Tower - believed to be one of the most expensive condominium towers going forward at this time in the nation - has hit a potential roadblock.

Z.L. Pearson Jr., a resident of the Larimer Place Condominium building near the proposed 34-story Bell Tower at Market Street and Speer Boulevard, has asked the Landmark Preservation Commission to overturn the Feb. 5 decision by the Lower Downtown Design Review Board to approve the form and mass for Bell Tower.

Bell Tower is "fatally flawed," Pearson wrote in the letter.

Developer Buzz Geller, who has been working on the Bell Tower for the past three years, said, "I'm saddened we have another hurdle to jump over."

Pearson, a retired attorney, said the board's decision should "be reversed" by the commission.

"I think my letter for the appeal was fairly short and to the point," Pearson said Monday. He said no date has been set for his appeal.

Geller presented no drawings or other evidence to establish that the building is "less bulky" than his original proposal, Pearson said. Geller, at the request of the board, presented a model that he said was 18 percent thinner than the initial proposal, but Pearson contends it was not to scale.

In addition, Geller admitted that the "floorplates" of some of the units exceeded 7,500 square feet, which is the limit by ordinance. At that time, city planner Tyler Gibbs said that the average size is below 7,500 square feet and that Geller's latest proposal was in keeping with the spirit of the ordinance.

Pearson also argued that Bell Tower is not the "slender, elegant" structure promised. He said that it would be 375 feet tall, 155 feet wide, have a facade of more than 58,000 square feet and more than 2.8 million cubic feet of space.

Pearson noted that the units have large balconies and that the future homeowners might want to enclose them, making the units far larger than 7,500 square feet.

Geller said he believes Pearson doesn't want Bell Tower because it would block his view from Larimer Place, which Pearson denied.

"I can't see the Bell Tower from my unit," he said.

"I've never supported the tower. I think it is wrong, on the so-called western edge of the historic district."

I can only hope that the Commission is intelligent enough to see this callous argument for what is truly is and that they will push it aside as nonsense. Only Larimer Place...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2009, 3:40 AM

After much wrangling I'm OK with the Bell Tower, but I'm glad it isn't much taller. It will be a good photo-op for Denver but it looks like every major city is getting at least one curiosity like this one - eliminating its novelty - and increasing the likelihood that it will look dated after a short time.

Here's an article with a little info on buildings like these:

http://www.slate.com/id/2215988/slideshow/2216140/
http://www.slate.com/id/2215988/

I do think a tall-ish building here will look good from Speer, and help widen the skyline a little, and the width and height are about right. As for the jumpled design, I can say I'm definitely glad it's not a box.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive