HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Thanks for the info

We got a similarly-sized arena built in 2005 here in Victoria yet even when you factor in inflation, ours was 1/3 the cost of Moncton's arena
On the flip side, we did a BIT better on the naming rights.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
On the flip side, we did a BIT better on the naming rights.
That I will have to agree with Centre Avenir Centre seems to be a better name then Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
We got a similarly-sized arena built in 2005 here in Victoria yet even when you factor in inflation, ours was 1/3 the cost of Moncton's arena
Yes, well our arena has all the bells and whistles. The general consensus is that it is a mini-NHL calibre arena - all we need is an extra 10,000 seats and another 2 million people in the metro area.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
That I will have to agree with Centre Avenir Centre seems to be a better name then Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre
Here's an article with some #'s on the naming rights. They only disclosed what went directly to the city (which isn't much) as the rest went to a managing company similar to SMG

https://www.timescolonist.com/sports...ship-1.1395016

In our case all monies went to SMG as far as I understand, although the city has a guaranteed pay day every year from SMG, and I also was under the impression some of this money is supposed to go into a fund for future maintenance.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 8:48 PM

Here's something interesting I heard Saturday night from a friend of mine at our UFC PPV gathering.

He heard from hard core Wildcats fans that the "hockey" experience was much better at the Coliseum.

Yeah, the sound of hockey is missing at the Avenir Centre. At the Coliseum, you could apparently hear the stick handling, the puck slamming in the boards, the on ice player/refs chit chats, the checks, the body slams, the whistles, the end of period horn, etc. At the Avenir Centre, you don't any of that.

I've only been to one Wildcats game at the Coliseum and two games at the Avenir Centre. I can agree that it is very quiet at the Avenir Centre. Does anyone else agree? MonctonRad?

I think there's any easy resolution to this. Attached a dozen mics around the top of the plexiglass, feed the mics to mixer, then simply feed it to the overhead house system. Maybe that will get the crowd into the games more!

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
He heard from hard core Wildcats fans that the "hockey" experience was much better at the Coliseum.

Yeah, the sound of hockey is missing at the Avenir Centre. At the Coliseum, you could apparently hear the stick handling, the puck slamming in the boards, the on ice player/refs chit chats, the checks, the body slams, the whistles, the end of period horn, etc. At the Avenir Centre, you don't any of that.

I've only been to one Wildcats game at the Coliseum and two games at the Avenir Centre. I can agree that it is very quiet at the Avenir Centre. Does anyone else agree? MonctonRad?
I hadn't really thought about it much, but yes, your friend, the "hard core Wildcat fan" is correct. All those "sounds of hockey" are missing from the Avenir Centre. Furthermore, the sounds of the crowd are much more muted as well. You don't really hear the thunderous roar of the crowd when a good goal is scored either.

I only noticed this in retrospect, and only when you brought it up, and really, I don't miss those sounds much. What I have noticed is that I find the hockey experience at the Avenir Centre more relaxing and enjoyable - great sight lines, wide comfortable seats, superior AV and better amenities. The quieter background (except for the high quality sound system) contributes to this relaxing atmosphere.

I like the Avenir Centre better, but I guess it really depends on what you want.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:04 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
All those "sounds of hockey" are missing from the Avenir Centre.
At the Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata they play ambient rink sounds over the PA system during play - sticks, skates on ice, etc.. It's embarrassing.

New buildings are never going to be able to replicate that nostalgic hockey feeling you get from old barns. You'd be deceiving yourself if you thought everything from the Coliseum would transition over perfectly to Avenir and that everything would be just as it always was. Things change.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:51 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
At the Canadian Tire Centre in Kanata they play ambient rink sounds over the PA system during play - sticks, skates on ice, etc.. It's embarrassing.

New buildings are never going to be able to replicate that nostalgic hockey feeling you get from old barns. You'd be deceiving yourself if you thought everything from the Coliseum would transition over perfectly to Avenir and that everything would be just as it always was. Things change.
Yeah I think it must be the higher ceiling in the modern buildings it must make it harder for the echoes and sounds to travel up to the spectators?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 6:54 PM

I don't think anyone was expecting an identical experience; they're just pointing out the difference.

The idea to mic the boards and broadcast the sounds in real-time over the audio system isn't a bad one. Certainly it would be leagues better than pumping in generic hockey sounds out of sync with the action!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 7:03 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post
I don't think anyone was expecting an identical experience; they're just pointing out the difference.

The idea to mic the boards and broadcast the sounds in real-time over the audio system isn't a bad one. Certainly it would be leagues better than pumping in generic hockey sounds out of sync with the action!
Another vote for mics right here!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ire Narissis View Post

I sit 11 rows from the ice and not once have thought I couldn't hear sounds from the play. The boards in the Avenir Centre are completely different, top of the line materials that are far safer than the boards from the coliseum. They have a lot more flex in them which leads to less injury. They also sound different when a puck hits them. This might be part of it.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure they are already mic'd. The sounds I can hear sound amp'd up, and the coliseum was also previously mic'd, they had strategic microphones that hangover the ice. The hits always sounded way louder than they actually are. Because of the new flexible glass the hits sound much different at the Avenir Centre as well.

It will take a few years before the arena has some soul to it. There's no history right now, no memories there. Everyone is sitting in different seats than they had been for potentially over 20 years. So they don't feel at home yet. More like they are a guest in someone elses home that is much nicer than their own. I think some of these coliseum comments are more around nostalgia than anything else. I've been going to games for 18 years there and I rarely heard comments that the coliseum had a good atmosphere. Maybe people forget tt was pretty quiet for 90% of games. Game 7 against Halifax a few years ago, the memorial cup year, the 2009-2019 playoffs, the victory to break the record losing streak in 2017.. or when a big fight happened in the old days . The coliseum COULD be loud, and when it was it felt like a special place, but so can any building given those set of circumstances. I think it will feel different once the cats fans start having memories at the new rink. The home opener was special, but a pregame ceremony that went on 15 minutes too long and left fans over stimulated and tired killed some of the buzz. Not to mention half the building was more there for the event which zero attachment to the team.

I'd like to see them get the banners up in the rafters soon and start adding pictures on the walls for the former Cats players who played in the NHL, or even ones like Christian Gaudet who are memorable. Right now besides the giant screens theres a couple of "go cats go" ad boards and thats about it. Maybe once they are done the renovations they will put their focus on that.

I'm sort of rambling here, but have been shocked to see a few comments about wanting the coliseum back. People forget quickly what that experience was like. I don't think I could have taken another year of hockey in that building.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I sit 11 rows from the ice and not once have thought I couldn't hear sounds from the play. The boards in the Avenir Centre are completely different, top of the line materials that are far safer than the boards from the coliseum. They have a lot more flex in them which leads to less injury. They also sound different when a puck hits them. This might be part of it.

The funny thing is I'm pretty sure they are already mic'd. The sounds I can hear sound amp'd up, and the coliseum was also previously mic'd, they had strategic microphones that hangover the ice. The hits always sounded way louder than they actually are. Because of the new flexible glass the hits sound much different at the Avenir Centre as well.

It will take a few years before the arena has some soul to it. There's no history right now, no memories there. Everyone is sitting in different seats than they had been for potentially over 20 years. So they don't feel at home yet. More like they are a guest in someone elses home that is much nicer than their own. I think some of these coliseum comments are more around nostalgia than anything else. I've been going to games for 18 years there and I rarely heard comments that the coliseum had a good atmosphere. Maybe people forget tt was pretty quiet for 90% of games. Game 7 against Halifax a few years ago, the memorial cup year, the 2009-2019 playoffs, the victory to break the record losing streak in 2017.. or when a big fight happened in the old days . The coliseum COULD be loud, and when it was it felt like a special place, but so can any building given those set of circumstances. I think it will feel different once the cats fans start having memories at the new rink. The home opener was special, but a pregame ceremony that went on 15 minutes too long and left fans over stimulated and tired killed some of the buzz. Not to mention half the building was more there for the event which zero attachment to the team.

I'd like to see them get the banners up in the rafters soon and start adding pictures on the walls for the former Cats players who played in the NHL, or even ones like Christian Gaudet who are memorable. Right now besides the giant screens theres a couple of "go cats go" ad boards and thats about it. Maybe once they are done the renovations they will put their focus on that.

I'm sort of rambling here, but have been shocked to see a few comments about wanting the coliseum back. People forget quickly what that experience was like. I don't think I could have taken another year of hockey in that building.
Amen the Coliseum was a barn compared to the Avenir Center!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 11:25 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:

No rambling, it was a great post! I took my family to the opener game and I will be taking them to many others this season and many seasons to come, I think the next one were going to is on the 20th as the one on the 17th is a school night. Personally I didn't go see many games because I thought of the Coliseum as depressing and somewhat run down with long line ups to get out that were a pain. We'll definitely be better cats fans now that we actually have some place decent to go watch them.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
No rambling, it was a great post! I took my family to the opener game and I will be taking them to many others this season and many seasons to come, I think the next one were going to is on the 20th as the one on the 17th is a school night. Personally I didn't go see many games because I thought of the Coliseum as depressing and somewhat run down with long line ups to get out that were a pain. We'll definitely be better cats fans now that we actually have some place decent to go watch them.
Just a note. The Cats play rimouski on October 21st..they feature Alex Lafreniere whos the favourite to be selected 1st overall in the 2020 draft. Its a sunday afternoon.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:51 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Just a note. The Cats play rimouski on October 21st..they feature Alex Lafreniere whos the favourite to be selected 1st overall in the 2020 draft. Its a sunday afternoon.
Ah I never even seen that, TYVM!!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 6:54 PM

I've yet to get to a game yet this year (STH but unlucky scheduling wise), is it true that the concession prices are astronomical?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 7:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanSoloCup View Post
I've yet to get to a game yet this year (STH but unlucky scheduling wise), is it true that the concession prices are astronomical?
There are some cheaper eats to be found ($7-8, especially in the self serve "pick-up and go"), but typical fare is $10-15, with beer at $9.75, and water at $5. I'm having a brain fart over soft drinks, but maybe $7.........

Tim Horton's is not yet up and running. I don't know what the delay is..........

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:48 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonianSentinel01 View Post
Yeah I think it must be the higher ceiling in the modern buildings it must make it harder for the echoes and sounds to travel up to the spectators?
The rink in Blainville has a flat roof and that rink was deafening in the playoffs. The sound reverbs off the surface and makes it seems ten times louder.

Other than that it's essentially just a rink inside of a box warehouse.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 7:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Ian Fowler Oval is going to open for outdoor skating on November 23rd.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The Ian Fowler Oval is going to open for outdoor skating on November 23rd.
Assuming to skate there that helmets are required?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces