HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 13, 2009, 9:55 PM

As of today, the Power Station parking lot was closed to the public. A gate was installed just before Christmas. That gate was closed and padlocked today. I'd say things will probably start happening soon.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 1:35 AM

Exciting news. Hopefully they'll start soon. I don't know what their timeline is but this plus completing the boardwalk between Bishop's Landing and Salter will go along way to filling in some of the holes. Now if they would only start on Salter's Landing.....

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 1:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
Now if they would only start on Salter's Landing.....
I second that brother...definitely my favorite project

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrington south View Post
I second that brother...definitely my favorite project
I third that man that is a nice project.

Its just too bad Emera was banned from including retail in this one....that would of helped out a lot in making the boardwalk better.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 11:10 AM

Aecon is starting construction this month.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 4:39 PM
we built this city

I hope they are able to stay on budget... I think this building will be a good compliment to the seaport area... Now if only the Alexander and Salter Street developments get off the ground, the area will seem alot more alive.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Aecon is starting construction this month.
On the Emera project?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:26 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's a brief article with some details: http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.c...=209920&sc=101

Aecon wins contract to adapt power plant into offices for Nova Scotia Power print this article
The Canadian Press

HALIFAX — Aecon Group Inc. (TSX:ARE) said Monday its Atlantic Buildings division has been awarded a $53.4 million contract to adapt a power generating plant into corporate offices for Nova Scotia Power Corp.

Aecon, one of Canada’s largest construction companies, said the project involves converting a 271,000-square-foot plant into occupancy for 500 employees, a public meeting hall and parking facilities.

Work on the project is expected to be completed in December 2010.
Aecon reported the highest third-quarter profits in its history in October, with net income of $23.1 million or 45 cents a share, up from $19 million or 44 cents for the same 2007 period. Revenues rose 24 per cent to a record $535 million from $430 million as the company benefited from new road building and other infrastructure contracts.

Nova Scotia Power is a subsidiary of Halifax-based Emera Inc. (TSX:EMA), an investment company with power and energy interests in Nova Scotia and the U.S. state of Maine.

Aecon shares fell 30 cents to $10.39 in Monday trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post

Its just too bad Emera was banned from including retail in this one....that would of helped out a lot in making the boardwalk better.
I couldn't agree more with you DJ...I think it is short sighted and a poor decision. It is going to harm the potential of the waterfront and make a large dead zone stretching from the end of Bishop's Landing to the start of the seawall

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 1:37 AM

The 500 new employee's at the new Emera power plant conversion...once it is completed...are going to be very good business for the Henry House...especially at Lunch, and at around 5:oopm for after work drinks

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:41 AM

500 people in that end of town is going to be good for a lot of businesses, I just hope I'll still be able to get a seat at the HH, man I love that place.

Glad to hear that this is getting underway

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 2:46 AM

No retail sucks. Even if it was just some public space... like an atrium space... with a little coffee shop / cafeteria open to the public... maybe even a little free NSPI museum or something. Anything would be better than no main floor public access at all. Oh well.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:07 AM

Yeah that part of the URB decision really annoyed me. The problem is the whole system of having a private monopoly that then necessitates very heave government involvement (the worst of both worlds really). Where else would a private sector business be banned from making such a blatantly common sense decision?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
500 people in that end of town is going to be good for a lot of businesses, I just hope I'll still be able to get a seat at the HH, man I love that place.

Glad to hear that this is getting underway
500 people is going to be AWESOME for that part of town.

Just imagine a summer day around 4 o'clock. There would be the normal cruise ship and other visitors walking the boardwalk, the 500 people from Emera leaving from work maybe out for a stroll first, the Westin guests and all the residents of downtown south.

I can't even imagine what a difference there would be if this, famers market, salter street, and the Alexander were all built. Talk about massive urban renewal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo View Post
No retail sucks. Even if it was just some public space... like an atrium space... with a little coffee shop / cafeteria open to the public... maybe even a little free NSPI museum or something. Anything would be better than no main floor public access at all. Oh well.
A NSP museum? That would be interesting to say the least. "And heres the part you've all been waiting for....the real reasons behind our power outages"

I don't even think the whole ground floor would be big enough to display all of the reasons...

But seriously something there would be nice. At least the Farmer's Market is going ahead so there will be some retail in the area.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 3:40 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I don't think they were banned from ever putting retail on that site, I think the insistence was simply that they not roll other things into this particular project.

Maybe a retail development on the land nearby could happen in the future. I'm not sure what the plan is for the harbour side of the building.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 4:17 PM

A bit of a tangent from the topic of the NSP building but somehwat related, I searched the NSUARB website for an hour looking for how someone gets on the board and more information on the people that are currently on it.

Perhaps this should be a seperate thread?

Does anybody know who these people are, what their backgrounds are, how you get appointed and what qualifications would be required. It seems the board is the "be all end all" of decisions our City Council can make, of decisions NSPower can make, and basically anything the provincial government doesn't want to get their hands dirty on. For a board with this much power, shouldn't we have a better idea as to who these people are, how they got where they got, and if possible, even be able to elect these people so they are accountable for the decisions they make?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Here's a brief article with some details: http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/index.c...=209920&sc=101

Aecon wins contract to adapt power plant into offices for Nova Scotia Power print this article
The Canadian Press

HALIFAX — Aecon Group Inc. (TSX:ARE) said Monday its Atlantic Buildings division has been awarded a $53.4 million contract to adapt a power generating plant into corporate offices for Nova Scotia Power Corp.

Aecon, one of Canada’s largest construction companies, said the project involves converting a 271,000-square-foot plant into occupancy for 500 employees, a public meeting hall and parking facilities.

Work on the project is expected to be completed in December 2010.
Aecon reported the highest third-quarter profits in its history in October, with net income of $23.1 million or 45 cents a share, up from $19 million or 44 cents for the same 2007 period. Revenues rose 24 per cent to a record $535 million from $430 million as the company benefited from new road building and other infrastructure contracts.

Nova Scotia Power is a subsidiary of Halifax-based Emera Inc. (TSX:EMA), an investment company with power and energy interests in Nova Scotia and the U.S. state of Maine.

Aecon shares fell 30 cents to $10.39 in Monday trading on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
That last sentence is an amusing non-sequitor. I'll bet the other firms that were bidding on the contract are some glad THEY didn't win! The NSP kiss of death.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 10:00 PM

I'm really interested in seeing how they proceed with this one. Are they gonna tear down the majority of the building and rebuild it or what? It will certainly be interesting.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2009, 10:05 PM

Well the problem with tearing it down would be the massive power cable sitting on top of the building. Judging by direction it might be the main power source for the Seaport.

I think if possible they would start at the bottom and build upwards...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 9:53 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesh111 View Post
A bit of a tangent from the topic of the NSP building but somehwat related, I searched the NSUARB website for an hour looking for how someone gets on the board and more information on the people that are currently on it.

Perhaps this should be a seperate thread?

Does anybody know who these people are, what their backgrounds are, how you get appointed and what qualifications would be required. It seems the board is the "be all end all" of decisions our City Council can make, of decisions NSPower can make, and basically anything the provincial government doesn't want to get their hands dirty on. For a board with this much power, shouldn't we have a better idea as to who these people are, how they got where they got, and if possible, even be able to elect these people so they are accountable for the decisions they make?
Stumbled across this during my daily job search, pretty much answers your question.

http://www.careerbeacon.ca/search/en...3/MB0901162153

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth