HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 5:43 PM

BisNow dropped an interesting hint in today's newsletter. Another high-rise residential project in the Woodlands?

"...Howard Hughes is also pushing forward on multifamily developments, Peter says. Hughes Landing’s One Lakes Edge (pictured) was the firm’s first self-performed apartment project, and it has its second and third planned in Maryland and Vegas. It’s also looking into building a second multifamily tower in Hughes Landing, which Peter says would probably be 250 to 400 units and could break ground in about six months. Howard Hughes is loving the niche, and Peter tells us it’s considering building age-restricted senior living projects as well..."

Old Posted Aug 5, 2015, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxteth o'grady View Post
BisNow dropped an interesting hint in today's newsletter. Another high-rise residential project in the Woodlands?

"...Howard Hughes is also pushing forward on multifamily developments, Peter says. Hughes Landing’s One Lakes Edge (pictured) was the firm’s first self-performed apartment project, and it has its second and third planned in Maryland and Vegas. It’s also looking into building a second multifamily tower in Hughes Landing, which Peter says would probably be 250 to 400 units and could break ground in about six months. Howard Hughes is loving the niche, and Peter tells us it’s considering building age-restricted senior living projects as well..."
It's the building on the far right of this rendering.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 1:47 AM

I was in the The Woodlands over the weekend for the first time in about 15 years. Pretty impressive but wow the traffic is worse than I expected. Lots of money in that community so I was surprised the roadways were so deteriorated, as if they hadn't been resurfaced in 40 years. Not sure what gives. But overall, good looking place, and beautiful trees everywhere.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 2:21 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/b...o-medical.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJ
Why one developer has turned his sights to medical office

A developer with experience across product types in Houston has set his sights on a new frontier: medical office.

The company's also planning a 72,000-square-foot, 11-story medical office in River Oaks that will also have an ambulatory surgery center and medical offices. That project will break ground next year and is expected to be complete in late 2017. It's currently 50 percent preleased.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 2:25 AM

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/n...-downtown.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBJ
Dallas developer to close on iconic downtown Houston tower, place it on historic register

A Dallas-based developer plans to close on an iconic downtown Houston tower by the end of August, paving the way for a historic renovation project.

Todd Interests is set to purchase the Great Southwest Building, formerly known as the Petroleum Club, by Aug. 28 for an undisclosed price. The 21-story office tower, built in 1926, is located on Texas Avenue, between Austin and Capitol streets, along the eastern half of city Block 72 near Minute Maid Park.

Once the deal closes, the Great Southwest Building won’t be demolished like so many others in downtown Houston. Instead, the historic building will be gutted and renovated into a high-end multifamily project consisting of 150 apartment units, nine townhomes and a parking garage.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 3:08 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Sad to see it go but nice to see they will be re-using some of the glass blocks in the new building.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2015, 7:16 PM

This is good news regarding the Southwetern tower redevelopment. This with the Texaco redevelopment will give some architectural variety to the highrise apartments in downtown. As appealing as the new highrises are, these older ones give a "Nero Wolfe" feel. Get by me a fedora and complain about the Dodgers leaving Brooklyn.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2015, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
The Great Southwest renovation project is #1 on my wish list for future Downtown projects.

Since it is so hot and the usual flood of announcements has slowed to a trickle, I thought it would be nice to take a look at everything going up Downtown. It is hard to keep track. This is just Downtown, but maybe later I will do a list for Uptown and points in between.

If you see errors please feel free to comment. I don't guarantee any accuracy regarding the number of apartments, hotel rooms or other stats...just compiled what I could put together from the database here at Skyscraperpage, Downtown Houston Development Map, Emporis, Swamplot, HAIF, etc.

I divided the list by skyscrapers, renovations, mid-rise projects and a short wish list. There are a number of other large residential projects that fall under the DLI but I didn't list them all of them. I hope they break ground too.

Skyscrapers U/C 30m+

1. Main at Texas 49-story (750') 1 million sq. feet commercial
2. Market Sq. Tower 40-story 463 apt. residential
3. Market Sq. Residences 32-story 274 apt. residential
4. Marriot Marquis 29-story 1000 rm hotel
5. Hilcorp 23-story, about 1/2 million sq. feet commercial
6. Catalyst 28-story 361 apt. residential
7. Skyhouse Main 24-story, 330 apt. residential
8. Hotel Allesandra 21-story 225 rm hotel
9. 1311 Louisiana 16-story parking
10. Hampton/Homewood 14-story 300 rm hotels
11. GHP 11-story (adjacent to GRB) with podium for future hotel

Renovations U/C

12. Le Meridien (1952 Melrose) 22-story 200+ rm hotel
13. 1111 Rusk (1915 Texaco) 16-story 300 apt. residential
14. Holiday Inn (1966 Savoy Building) 17-story 215 rm hotel
15. State National (1923) 14-story residential
16. Aloft (1913 Stowers Buidling) 10-story 172 rm hotel
17. Springhill (1921 Humble Building) 17-story 167 rm hotel

Midrises etc. U/C

17. 500 Crawford 7-story 400 apt. residential
18. Hamilton 5-story 149 apt. residential
19. Caroline at Jefferson 6-story 220 apt. residential
20. Main at Leeland 5-story 207 apt. residential
21. 1811 San Jacinto 8-story 242 apt. residential (condo?)
22. Alley Theatre renovation
23. George R. Brown facade and street redesign
24. Dallas Street streetscape redesign for retail corridor
25. Lamar Street bicycle lane construction
26. Sunset Coffee building at Allen's Landing
27. Capitol Tower parking 7-story

Wish List

#1. Great Southwest (1927) renovation residential
#2. Capitol Tower
#3. Marlowe 20-story 100 condo residential
#4. Block 98 40-Story 314 apt. residential

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 1:14 AM

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 5:46 PM

Excellent list DBGHouston. It lifts ones spirits. Except for NYC I do not believe there is this level of construction anywhere else in the US. I know Toronto and Panama City are also booming. I hope the construction north of the ballpark have not been cancelled.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGHouston View Post
The Great Southwest renovation project is #1 on my wish list for future Downtown projects.

Since it is so hot and the usual flood of announcements has slowed to a trickle, I thought it would be nice to take a look at everything going up Downtown. It is hard to keep track. This is just Downtown, but maybe later I will do a list for Uptown and points in between.

If you see errors please feel free to comment. I don't guarantee any accuracy regarding the number of apartments, hotel rooms or other stats...just compiled what I could put together from the database here at Skyscraperpage, Downtown Houston Development Map, Emporis, Swamplot, HAIF, etc.

I divided the list by skyscrapers, renovations, mid-rise projects and a short wish list. There are a number of other large residential projects that fall under the DLI but I didn't list them all of them. I hope they break ground too.

Completed:
1. Skyhouse 24-story, 336 unit residential tower
2. JW Marriott Conversion of 806 Main from office to hotel
3. 1311 Louisiana 16-story parking garage

Skyscrapers U/C 30m+

1. Main at Texas 49-story (750') 1 million sq. feet commercial
2. Market Sq. Tower 40-story 463 apt. residential
3. Market Sq. Residences 32-story 274 apt. residential
4. Marriott Marquis 29-story 1000 rm hotel
5. Hilcorp 23-story, about 1/2 million sq. feet commercial
6. Catalyst 28-story 361 apt. residential
7. Skyhouse Main 24-story, 330 apt. residential
8. Hotel Allesandra 21-story 225 rm hotel
10. Hampton/Homewood 14-story 300 rm hotels
11. GHP 11-story (adjacent to GRB) with podium for future hotel

Renovations/Redevelopments U/C

12. Le Meridien (1952 Melrose) 22-story 200+ rm hotel
13. 1111 Rusk (1915 Texaco) 16-story 300 apt. residential
14. Holiday Inn (1966 Savoy Building) 17-story 215 rm hotel
15. State National Bank Building (1923) 14-story office w/ retail
16. Aloft (1913 Stowers Buidling) 10-story 172 rm hotel
17. Springhill (1921 Humble Building) 17-story 167 rm hotel
18. Alley Theatre renovation
19. George R. Brown facade and street redesign
20. Sunset Coffee building at Allen's Landing
21. Dallas Street streetscape redesign for retail corridor
22. Lamar Street bicycle lane construction
23. Main Street landscape imrpovments

Midrises etc. U/C

24. 500 Crawford 7-story 400 apt. residential
25. Hamilton 5-story 149 apt. residential
26. Caroline at Jefferson 6-story 220 apt. residential
27. Main at Leeland 5-story 207 apt. residential
28. 1811 San Jacinto 8-story 242 apt. residential
29. Capitol Tower parking 7-story

Proposed

#1. Great Southwest (1927) renovation residential
#2. Capitol Tower 35-story office tower
#3. Marlowe 20-story 100 condo residential
#4. Block 98 40-Story 314 apt. residential
#5. 6 Houston Center 30-story office tower
#6. High School for Visual & Performing Arts
#7. Alexan Downtown 8-story, 285 unit residential
#8. The Cosmopolitan of Houston 7-story, 209 units
#9. Theater District Redevelopment
#10. Camden Conte Two 21-story towers, 500+ units
#11. Block 387 10-story residential, 290 units
#12. Houston First Hotel 15-story hotel on top of GHP Building
#13. Block 114 24-story residential, 304 units
#14. Hilton Garden Inn 12-story, 230 rooms
#15. 800 Bell Redevelopment Upgrades to 45-story office tower
#16. Houston Chronicle Block New Office Tower by Hines
#17. Allen Center Redevelopment: Exterior upgrades; new retail spaces
#18. Solero at The Park Residential
#19. Chevron Tower ~50-story office building
#20. 5 Allen Center ~50-story office building

Why not list everything in development for Downtown? I filled in the rest.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2015, 10:40 PM

As always great work Urbannizer...you have a better handle on Houston development than anyone.

The primary focus of my original list was under construction for the reason that I am having difficulty in keeping straight the two dozen constructions sites that I pass in Downtown.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 12:17 AM

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/busi...#photo-8450907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Galveston's Falstaff Brewery to be Redevoleped

The former Falstaff brewery in Galveston has moved a step closer to redevelopment with a new owner and plans to convert the hulking industrial building and surrounding plot into a parking lot for cruise passengers and, later, condominiums and a boutique hotel.

The new owner, a Friendswood attorney, has been aggressive in purchasing older properties for redevelopment, including the Mall of the Mainland in Texas City. Plans for the brewery building's renaissance could signal new life in an area of the island that was hard hit by Hurricane Ike in 2008.

"In terms of large-scale renovation, this is the most aggressive project in the attempt to succeed in mixed-use development" on the island, said Jeff Sjostrom, president of the Galveston Economic Development Partnership. "It could be a shot in the arm for (the area north of) Broadway. There are many exciting developments in Galveston, but this is in the center of the corridor and could kick-start other projects."

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 12:42 AM

609 Main at Texas

8/7 by fkp5 on HAIF

1111 Travis

Marriott Marquis

GHP Building/Hotel

Skyhouse Main

Broadstone Skyline

3400 Montrose

Photos by hindesky on HAIF

500 Crawford

By Nate99 on HAIF

Aloft Downtown

The River Oaks Redo

Photos by Rechlin on HAIF

Menil Drawing Institute

By bobruss on HAIF

Old Posted Aug 12, 2015, 4:36 AM

Galleria Renovation/Expansion - Phase II

http://www.beckgroup.com/projects/ga...ue-renovation/

Quote:
Simon Properties is transforming Houston’s iconic Galleria as a response to its new luxury tenants. The renovation, part of a $250 million transformation of The Galleria’s luxury wing, will ensure that The Galleria remains the destination of choice for affluent consumers in the area. Beck’s construction team is building a new state-of-the-art Saks Fifth Avenue flagship store. In a second phase, the team will convert the existing Saks store into a new two-level mall wing with space for 35 retailers and several restaurants.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 2:18 PM

3300 Main by PM Realty Group

*PM Realty Group purchased this site from the city in Nov. 2014; soil testing occurred March 2015.

http://www.rtkl.com/wip/the-winners/3300-main/

Quote:
“What can we do to make people want to live in the city, not just come there to work?” It’s a question many city leaders, developers and designers ask themselves more often than they would like. While there’s no secret sauce for urban success, many municipalities find that residents seek communities that offer the amenities they want near the transit they need.

Midtown Houston revels in this idea. The area is deep in the midst of an urban resurgence. Business is booming and a crop of new developments in the area is encouraging a swift pace of growth. The Midtown Arts and Theater Center (MATCH) is one of the most buzzed about new projects in the area. 3300 Main, a proposed 400-unit residential tower next to MATCH, would complement this arts center and create a focal point for this low-density neighborhood.

Despite its great height, the residential tower is designed to work with its low-rise neighbors through the use of a technique called “borrowed view,” which allows for clear, premium sight lines from the apartment units. The design also pays special attention to the relationship between pedestrian, vehicular and train traffic. 3300 Main could help create an even stronger identity for midtown Houston, inspiring more positive growth in this area of the city.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 3:50 PM

Stalled Projects are Back on The Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisnow
You might think construction projects are stalling left and right in Houston. Not so, according to panelists at yesterday morning’s Bisnow New Construction & Development event.

Arch-Con CEO Michael Scheurich (right, pictured with McGriff Seibels & Williams’ Marc Boots) says a number of developments were put on pause at the end of last year/early this year. But now people are breathing again, and most are back on. Moreover, many of them are even expedited. To his amazement, even office developments are all systems go again. He says the only projects he’s had pause and not return are multifamily.

Ziegler Cooper senior principal Kurt Hull (right, pictured with moderator Thompson & Knight partner Bruce Merwin) has a slightly different experience but the same general sense. He hasn’t seen any multifamily developments stall because of oil. He has had office projects go on hold in Uptown and The Woodlands, but then he also recently received some new pure office assignments. (Those single-use buildings will become increasingly rare this cycle, he says—already, almost every project Ziegler Cooper’s working on has some mix of uses.) Kurt says developers are back to being aggressive because they’re looking at multiple years of design and construction lead time, and because no one’s making new land—if you’re going to take advantage of the best sites, you need to do it now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2015, 5:17 PM

Street-level tenants at Allen Center will reportedly begin relocating in October so redevelopment of the complex can proceed.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 12:29 AM

Demand for condo buildings is really gaining traction here. Very exciting to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston Chronicle
Luxury builder bets high-end sales will continue to soar

In another sign that low oil prices haven't crushed demand for high-end real estate, a local builder is proposing a 16-story residential structure in the Galleria area where the most expensive units could fetch as much as $5 million.

Chris Sims, a custom home builder based in Sugar Land, is planning the new building on a tree-lined street behind Uptown Park, a high-end shopping destination off the West Loop near Post Oak Boulevard.

The new building will be called Aurora and will hold 40 units, most of which will be priced between $2 million and $2.6 million. The units will range from 3,400 to 4,000 square feet. Four two-story penthouses as large as 6,400 square feet will be priced in the $4 million to $5 million range.

Sims is buying about an acre of land at 4906 Tilbury Drive for the project, which he plans to start construction on once half the units are spoken for.

Last edited by Urbannizer; Aug 14, 2015 at 12:54 AM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2015, 3:51 AM

Love the midtown tower! Hopefully we will see more high rise developments come to the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations