HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 12:44 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Mostly a joke...

Mount Pearl.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 1:14 PM

Mt. Pearl doesn't look like a very interesting place to live, but one thing it has going for it is the terrain. Suburbs with hilly terrain, like those around St. John's, Saint John, Halifax, Vancouver, etc. are much more attractive, aesthetically speaking, than those in Southern Ontario, Quebec and the Prairies for that reason. If I had to live in any suburb and the city didn't matter, I'd take Quispamsis and North Van over Laval and Sherwood Park.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:45 AM

For a city of over 500 000 inhabitants and looking to overtake Vancouver in the next decade, Surrey doesn't (yet) have an amazing skyline. Granted, this photo is from an angle that is not the most impressive and is also taken all the way from Metrotown (Burnaby), some 14 kilometers away.

But with all tower plans and construction underway, the skyline will be transformed soon. The crane on the left is for 3 Civic Plaza which will be the tallest in the city with 48 floors and 163 meters (double the current height) once completed. That's in the epicenter of Surrey Central, right next to the city hall (not visible).

Last edited by Klazu; Jun 30, 2016 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2016, 1:57 AM

Double post

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 7:46 AM
perhaps . . .

One of my favorite threads . . . but, so sad, despondent, everyone seems to have forgotten . . . come on, post some pictures . . . please . . . .

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 8:22 AM

nice one's by Klazu!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 4:03 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Mt. Pearl doesn't look like a very interesting place to live, but one thing it has going for it is the terrain. Suburbs with hilly terrain, like those around St. John's, Saint John, Halifax, Vancouver, etc. are much more attractive, aesthetically speaking, than those in Southern Ontario, Quebec and the Prairies for that reason. If I had to live in any suburb and the city didn't matter, I'd take Quispamsis and North Van over Laval and Sherwood Park.
Calgary has some neat ones in the foothills.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 5:37 PM
Ocean Breeze

Taken January, 2015

Burnaby Skyline, from Coquitlam Crunch Trail by Gerry Bates, on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/echopr...-9P92PT-9P93CT

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 8:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post

Well, Quispamsis is not particularly scenic. It's mostly just plain New Brunswick woods with suburban housing plopped down here and there in it.

It might be a bit more densely wooded than Sherwood Park, but I wouldn't say it's significantly more scenic.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 8:35 PM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, Quispamsis is not particularly scenic. It's mostly just plain New Brunswick woods with suburban housing plopped down here and there in it.

It might be a bit more densely wooded than Sherwood Park, but I wouldn't say it's significantly more scenic.
Excellent response to my plea. Thanks all.

It would be interesting to see shots around suburban Halifax, Quebec, Ottawa, all the Southern Ontario Cities, Calgary & Edmonton: all places with suburban high-rises that must appear from all sorts of vantage points. Skylines are interesting from considerable distance, like Burnaby above, but they are also interesting as you get closer to them and parts of them become a more immediate back drop.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 10:15 PM

North York..and some hills.

North York
by Marcanadian, on Flickr

North York
by Marcanadian, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:14 AM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
Calgary has some neat ones in the foothills.
Help me out here, exactly what part of Calgary is in the Rocky Mountain foothills because I thought those foothills generally started somewhere just to the east of Morley. Bragg Creek would be in the foothills, Cochrane is not. Springbank, not in the foothills. Bearpaw, not in the foothills.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:54 AM

Metrotown, Burnaby's downtown.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 4:50 AM
perhaps . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Taken January, 2015

Burnaby Skyline, from Coquitlam Crunch Trail by Gerry Bates, on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/echopr...-9P92PT-9P93CT
Is that the trail that goes straight up under the hydro line? If it is, I rode up that, but obviously missed the view. Now I'll have to do it again.

Love the North York pictures - it gives us a good idea what it might be like if we lived there and were just driving our normal routes. (Klazu's photo too: a view I see from time to time.)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 7:05 AM

The Metrotown and Edmonds skylines in Burnaby taken by me earlier today.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 12:49 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedog View Post
Help me out here, exactly what part of Calgary is in the Rocky Mountain foothills because I thought those foothills generally started somewhere just to the east of Morley. Bragg Creek would be in the foothills, Cochrane is not. Springbank, not in the foothills. Bearpaw, not in the foothills.
After the flatness of the prairies I basically figured where the hills started was the foothills. I am an ignorant Ontarian.

(Also there is an electoral district in Calgary called Foothills.)

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 1:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In the spirit of this thread, I'd say only the Vancouver area really has the "holy alliance" of true suburban skylines juxtaposed with very nice scenery.

Some suburban areas do have nice scenery. But their built form is still flat suburbia.

A few places on the south shore of Montreal are like this:

Mont-St-Hilaire:

St-Bruno-de-Montarville:

Closer to me, the suburbs of both Ottawa and Gatineau are generally unremarkable in terms of scenery (except for one or two exceptions on the northern outskirts of Gatineau), but the municipalities of Chelsea, Cantley, La Pêche and Val-des-Monts north of Gatineau are quite scenic. But they are more exurbia than suburbia.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 12:21 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I guess it is debatable what counts as a skyline but the suburbs around Halifax have a lot of highrise buildings now and some of those areas are scenic as well.

Armdale, Spryfield, Fairview. It is hard to see here but there's a glass office building on the far right that was the former HQ for Maritime Life, now part of Manulife:

Source

Bedford Basin

https://www.flickr.com/photos/urban_...x/14500739680/

Icon Bay, Rockingham:

Source

Good pictures of the suburbs are few and far between. Lately, most of the suburban construction in Halifax has been multi-unit buildings like these and midrise buildings in the 4-10 storey range. Aside from parts of Dartmouth which were mostly built before 2000 there aren't a lot of suburbs that are overwhelmingly detached houses.

Despite having a fair number of highrises a lot of these areas are not very pedestrian-friendly unfortunately. Some of them are okay for amenities and others have almost nothing. A lot of the suburbs in Atlantic Canada are very light on local amenities even if they are scenic.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 9:39 PM

Metrotown skyline taken by me today.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2016, 12:10 AM

The Metrotown skyline is always gorowing!

During my trip back to Canada this month I got a few pics of it myself:

Metrotown Summer Skyline by Ian, on Flickr

Metrotown Skyline by Ian, on Flickr

Skytrain Through Metrotown by Ian, on Flickr

Also a pic of the Edmonds area skyline in Burnaby:

Edmonds Summer Skyline by Ian, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada