HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 10:35 PM
HVAC guru

SSP Edmonton river valley bike tour/ photo session and after beverages

Carried over from the other thread. There's a lot of Edmonton SSP'ers with bikes it seems so lets set up an after work bike tour in the river valley for some time in the next week or two. I take my other group out tuesdays and thursdays, but wed or fri work for me, We could meet at the park at the north-west side of the 109 street bridge, take a run down either side of the river and then head for beers. Bring your camera because there are city views along some of the lesser travelled dirt trails that you can't get anywhere else. So let's do it to it... Who's in ?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
HVAC guru

I've had a request for thursday evening next week. I can make that work. Anyone else ?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 10:43 PM
Community Guy

i am in.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 10:45 PM

As am I.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 11:02 PM
Change is good

I'm likely in...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 12:07 AM

I'm probably in.

Am I the only one who gets really disgustingly sweaty after a trail ride? Especially in weather like this? So I guess the question is where are the beers going to be?

Also, I just got stung on the lip by a bee while riding. What a startling and then painful experience.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 12:21 AM
Change is good

I also tend to sweat on trail rides...

The logical order should be ride -> shower -> beers.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:39 AM

^Moments like these that I wish I lived downtown...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 5:24 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I also tend to sweat on trail rides...

The logical order should be ride -> shower -> beers.
no...

RIDE-PATIO WITH BEER SO SWEAT NO MATTER MANG

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
no...

I'll try to make it if I'm back south.

Where do you want to start this epic excursion?

I might be sucking air but this old body still has some ridding in it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Carried over from the other thread. There's a lot of Edmonton SSP'ers with bikes it seems so lets set up an after work bike tour in the river valley for some time in the next week or two. I take my other group out tuesdays and thursdays, but wed or fri work for me, We could meet at the park at the north-west side of the 109 street bridge, take a run down either side of the river and then head for beers. Bring your camera because there are city views along some of the lesser travelled dirt trails that you can't get anywhere else. So let's do it to it... Who's in ?
Quote:
I've had a request for thursday evening next week. I can make that work. Anyone else ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0773|=\ View Post
^Moments like these that I wish I lived downtown...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
no...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I'll try to make it if I'm back south.

Where do you want to start this epic excursion?

I might be sucking air but this old body still has some ridding in it.
carried over from the other thread as well but if you want to start and finish in riverdale and do your crossover at dawson or louise mckinney, i won't ride but will offer up a patio and some refreshment...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 3:06 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

I'm very tempted, but my piece of shit bike will probably embarrass me.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTA View Post
I'm very tempted, but my piece of shit bike will probably embarrass me.
we could just open the patio and some refreshment earlier...

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 4:20 PM
Community Guy

^haha... all of a sudden i am not riding anymore.

ok ok i am

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 6:28 PM
HVAC guru

I'll post a route map shortly, I'm posting from the inside of a sea can at the Red Deer College connected to a very weak wireless signal, and I can barely read what I am typing so pardon any spelling mistaques.

So here's the plan: Meet at the NW end of the high level bridge (can someone please post the name of that park ? I can't remember) on thursday the 25th at 7:00 pm. we will cross the high level and ride to Louise McKinney. Cross the Groat bridge, and follow the trail along river valley road (I call this the 'scenic route'.... guess why) past Rossdale and along the north side all the way to Riverdale. If okay with Ken we will stop in at the Kantor residence for a hydration break then carry on to the Capilano bridge (this can be shortened up by crossing at the Dawson bridge if required) Follow the trail back along the south side to Kinsmen. At that point we can hit up a pub if it is still ight out and we're not too badly beaten up.

Pack a camera. Please, please bring a helment (no trips to the hospital allowed) and bring hydration. It's the middle of june & half the water fountains in the valley aren't working, go figure. I have tools, spare tubes etc. that I will bring.

No showering. Just revel in the stench of sweat and bug spray (yes, you will want that.. I always bring lots so if you forget no worries) That's why we'll need to find a place outside.

I will be at the meeting point at about 6:30, in case anyone's bike needs a quick tune or some CO2 in the tires, you can show up a bit early.

Call my cell if you are going to be late to the meeting place. 721-8314 so that we don't leave without you.

Last edited by 240glt; Jun 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I'll post a route map shortly, I'm posting from the inside of a sea can at the Red Deer College connected to a very weak wireless signal, and I can barely read what I am typing so pardon any spelling mistaques.

So here's the plan: Meet at the NW end of the high level bridge (can someone please post the name of that park ? I can't remember) on thursday the 25th at 7:00 pm. we will cross the high level and ride to Louise McKinney. Cross the Groat bridge, and follow the trail along river valley road (I call this the 'scenic route'.... guess why) past Rossdale and along the north side all the way to Riverdale. If okay with Ken we will stop in at the Kantor residence for a hydration break then carry on to the Capilano bridge (this can be shortened up by crossing at the Dawson bridge if required) Follow the trail back along the south side to Kinsmen. At that point we can hit up a pub if it is still ight out and we're not too badly beaten up.

Pack a camera. Please, please bring a helment (no trips to the hospital allowed) and bring hydration. It's the middle of june & half the water fountains in the valley aren't working, go figure. I have tools, spare tubes etc. that I will bring.

No showering. Just revel in the stench of sweat and bug spray (yes, you will want that.. I always bring lots so if you forget no worries) That's why we'll need to find a place outside.

I will be at the meeting point at about 6:30, in case anyone's bike needs a quick tune or some CO2 in the tires, you can show up a bit early.

Call my cell if you are going to be late to the meeting place. 721-8314 so that we don't leave without you.
Ezio Ferone Park

Old Posted Jun 18, 2009, 6:53 PM
Community Guy

^indeed.

see you then y'all

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:33 AM

Quote:
... we will cross the high level and ride to Louise McKinney. Cross the Groat bridge, and follow the trail along river valley road (I call this the 'scenic route'.... guess why) ...
Not to be a stickler on details, but you must mean Emily Murphy Park, right? That's a bit of a jog otherwise, not to mention on the wrong side of the river

Looking forward to it!

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:00 PM
HVAC guru

whups, yes I meant Emily Murphy park

Old Posted Jun 19, 2009, 2:42 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

Yeah, I'm definitely going to have to skip out, given that I'm heading out camping the next day. Next time, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton