HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 3:36 PM

Re: St. John's/Halifax/Moncton thing

As much as St. John's is booming, there's no way we'll overtake Halifax as the hub of Atlantic Canada. Geographically, we're very disadvantaged, which puts limitations on us. As for Moncton: well, there's a 0% chance of St. John's landing a CFL team

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 3:57 PM

I'll start a separate thread to discuss the SSP:L or sub-forum concept.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
No not really, CBS is a mostly residential town, which just so happens to be close enough to St. John's that it can survive without a large commercial district. The closest thing they have to a downtown is probably along Topsail Road, which is the main street through the town, so it could be thought of as a larger Main Street. CBS is finally beginning to build a "power-center", so that'll probably be the largest commercial area once completed.
Paradise is probably more "city like" then CBS despite it having only 17,000 people.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K. View Post
I'll start a separate thread to discuss the SSP:L or sub-forum concept.
Thanks. I'd suggest all posters from the St. John's thread to give their opinion, it'll benefit us all

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I'd suggest all posters from the St. John's thread to give their opinion, it'll benefit us all
Like I said before, I think a SSP:L or sub-forum structure for St. John's would be beneficial, helping bring more structure and ease of use/navigation.

By the way, has anyone been downtown to take a few snaps of the developments. I was going to head down last weekend, but the weather wasn't great and my wife wanted no part of it () and I'm out of town this weekend.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Like I said before, I think a SSP:L or sub-forum structure for St. John's would be beneficial, helping bring more structure and ease of use/navigation.

By the way, has anyone been downtown to take a few snaps of the developments. I was going to head down last weekend, but the weather wasn't great and my wife wanted no part of it () and I'm out of town this weekend.
I really want to go down and take pictures, but school is consuming my life between now and April 1st. If someone else found the time to do it though, it'd be greatly appreciated. Obviously, 351 and Fortis being the busiest spots downtown, there may be even more things happening at these sites than when I was last there a few weeks ago. TD reclad may also be somewhere else now, last time I was down most of the brick on one portion of the building was removed

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Interesting note on this article, someone has posted a great comment on the CBC article (great comment on CBC, there's a first for everything!)

"When amalgamation of the NE avalon takes place St. John's will be in a position to compete with Halifax. A few years ago I attended huge international trade shows in Houston, Abardeen and Norway where St. John's should have been competing with Halifax for business. Instead St. John's was forced to compete with Mt. Pearl. This was an embarresment because no one knew what or where Mt. Pearl was (still don't). The result was that Halifax caught most of the international attention. Mt. Pearl is still an embarressment (like a pimple on an elephant's arse). Amalgamation cannot come soon enough. God! Stund!"

What are your thoughts on this? It's an interesting point, we're not a large enough region to be competing amongst ourselves. Let's be honest here, St. John's vs. Halifax is MUCH more realistic than Mount Pearl vs. Halifax

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
I really want to go down and take pictures, but school is consuming my life between now and April 1st. If someone else found the time to do it though, it'd be greatly appreciated. Obviously, 351 and Fortis being the busiest spots downtown, there may be even more things happening at these sites than when I was last there a few weeks ago. TD reclad may also be somewhere else now, last time I was down most of the brick on one portion of the building was removed
Yeah, I'd like to see the progress on 351 Water and Fortis. I'd also like to see what work (if any) has been completed with the Henry-Bell development, as well as the DND building in Pleasentville... that thing's a beast! If I can get DT sometime this week I'll definitely take some snaps. I'll also try to make it to MUN to check out the progress of the new residences.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 7:57 PM

Pleaasantville Update

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 8:18 PM

Taken by me today.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:19 PM

First time here in a couple of days and I notice a clamor for snaps! I happened to be out earlier today and took a bunch of pictures. 351 Water, Fortis, TD, MUN residence, DND at Pleasantville, Long Term Care at old Janeway apts, Confederation Bldg refresh, etc

I'll post them up later tonight when I get everyone down for bed.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post
First time here in a couple of days and I notice a clamor for snaps! I happened to be out earlier today and took a bunch of pictures. 351 Water, Fortis, TD, MUN residence, DND at Pleasantville, Long Term Care at old Janeway apts, Confederation Bldg refresh, etc

I'll be looking forward to seeing them!

Personally i think the whole SSP: local thing would be great!, we would be able to discuss all kinds of developments on seperate threads, than all on the one. I also think it would create more traffic, and interest in what is going on in St.John's.

Last edited by codyLawrenceDylan14; Mar 4, 2012 at 5:36 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlack View Post

That's great, thanks so much AllBlack! I'll be looking forward to the pics.

Thanks PoscStudent for posting the 351 Water picture

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:27 AM

Fortis Building at Springdale and New Gower.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:32 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Thanks for posting the pics AllBlack & PoscStudent. Nice to see these taking shape. The first thing I noticed is the absence of any large cranes, I guess they will continue to use mobile cranes in NL for most projects.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:38 AM

A couple of 351 Water, to add to what PoscStudent posted earlier.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:41 AM

TD Building.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:49 AM

DND Building at Pleasantville. This is a huge site, worth over $100 million I believe.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 12:53 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ The scaffolds make TD look like it has a podium, which is an interesting look. So far they have not started with any new cladding?

^Also, great pics of DND.

When the new SSP section is put in place you might consider keeping this thread in the section for general posting, such as projects etc. too small to have their own thread, also things can be taken from it to start new threads. In future maybe a new thread can be used to list a compilation in one place.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2012, 1:08 AM

Long Term Care facility at the old Janeway Apartments site. Another huge project. 500,000 sq ft I believe, spread over three buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's