HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
No surprise, but Austin is formally submitting.

http://www.512tech.com/technology/ch...45GfsQoGi9FTM/
Sorry I just now saw you already posted the same thing lol

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:48 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I kind of wonder if it'll be Austin or "Austin."

Space and traffic anywhere near downtown will be difficult, to say the least. They could go east toward COTA where there's lots of land, or even south to the burbs like Dell did in Round Rock.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I kind of wonder if it'll be Austin or "Austin."

Space and traffic anywhere near downtown will be difficult, to say the least. They could go east toward COTA where there's lots of land, or even south to the burbs like Dell did in Round Rock.
I think they'd rather pick another city than do something way in the Austin burbs...seems like they are aiming for something in the heart of whatever city they choose, to be an urban campus like the one in Seattle. They want to be part of the city...they even have limited food options at their Seattle HQ in order to force their employees to venture out in the city for lunch.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I was joking that it's like the engagement ceremony from the movie "Coming to America"

I wonder if there are any cities willing to hop on one leg and bark like a dog to get it?
" A Big Dog" Woof woof woof..... !!!! LOL!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 1:03 AM

Austin would seem to fit like a glove for this new headquarters. Vibrant growing tech city in a state with no income tax. Then consider is has social similarities to Seattle as well as an onslaught of cloud computing companies littered on "silicon hill" who Amazon likely does plenty of business with considering it's a huge facet of their operations. You've got The University of Texas a stones throw away, where Amazon would surely sink their line into to scoop up undergrads and MBAs from McCombs and the highly ranked computer science program. Entertainment for employees is bustling - good food, Colorado river, 6th street, 2nd street, Rainey, etc. There's no shortage of high end residential for employees to live in. Oh and I'd say Whole Foods being headquartered here is another big pro. Remember, Amazon bought Whole Foods not because they're interested in the grocery business. They wanted consumer data but these are also their ideas of distribution centers for their drones. I'd expect Austin to be the headquarters facilitating those operations. I'd say the downside is transportation but I think the Airport is large enough to suffice their needs and is adding more and more destinations (such as the non-stop flight to London) and the whole international terminal.

Statesmen site in the South Shore District is an obvious site but I think you could lease plenty of 600 Guadalupe and finance your own tower(s) on the post office site (skybridge anyone?) and then the old Travis County block could offer more space for a tower and green space (think extension of Republic Square Park).

I see many, many reasons for Austin to get this bid.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:40 PM

My guess is they already know where they want to be but they are looking to make cities completive about landing them.... thereby forcing the city of choice to make bigger concessions up front than anyone may have in a non competitive situation.

But that's just a guess! ;-)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:51 PM

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 11:24 PM

I noticed that one of those dots is representing Small Springs, Wyoming, Pop 4. They probably have lots of available land for an 8 million sq ft campus.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I noticed that one of those dots is representing Small Springs, Wyoming, Pop 4. They probably have lots of available land for an 8 million sq ft campus.
One of those dots will get it.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:11 AM

So far Southshore, Brackenridge and Broadmoor have been mentioned as possible campus sites. WCC bought the 156 acre 3M campus this summer, and it has 1,000,000 sq ft of office space already built. I haven't heard of any development plans for the site once 3M moves to their new Parmer location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-large-3m.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:12 PM

After the talk last week of the city council thinking of backing out of the cities deal with the Domain I wonder if Amazon could have trust issues with any deal the city offers:

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...in-developers/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 8:10 PM

The Catalyst Project may be a good choice for an Amazon campus. AusTxDevelopment was the first to post about it on SSP a while back. It's 79 acres adjacent to the Oracle campus. Here's a quote from the paywall protected ABJ article that was posted on Reddit:

Quote:
Nine million square feet of total development potential with building heights averaging between eight and 20 stories
Reddit post with link to ABJ article:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...ex_planned_on/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 8:18 PM

Here's a re-post of AusTxDevelopment's info about the Catalyst project:

Here's the original post from May:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=203

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The Catalyst Project may be a good choice for an Amazon campus. AusTxDevelopment was the first to post about it on SSP a while back. It's 79 acres adjacent to the Oracle campus. Here's a quote from the paywall protected ABJ article that was posted on Reddit:

Reddit post with link to ABJ article:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Austin/comm...ex_planned_on/
CapMetro's Airport Flyer regularly goes right by there from the airport, down Riverside, to Congresss Ave, up into downtown, and up around the UT campus. I'm not sure if it exactly fits the bill for the public transportation that Amazon is looking for, but it's a start. At least it's something to work with.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 8:48 PM

I think the Catalyst project site is the best fit so far for the campus with Broadmoor being the next best bet. The former 3M campus may be a turnkey choice, but it's pretty far away from the urban core.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 1:39 PM
Closed account

Hello? The public transportation in Austin is awful and can't compete with many of the other options. I don't know why everyone seems to be ignoring what was a major point of emphasis that amazon identified.

I'm willing to bet that Abbot pushes Dallas as the best option in Texas.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 3:51 PM
lurker

why worry about transportation? Amazon can just mobilize their staff with drones.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Hello? The public transportation in Austin is awful and can't compete with many of the other options. I don't know why everyone seems to be ignoring what was a major point of emphasis that amazon identified.

I'm willing to bet that Abbot pushes Dallas as the best option in Texas.
It's an issue to address in whatever proposal goes to Amazon, for sure. But the DART isn't exactly the be all end all of public transportation.
The sad fact, really, is that not many US cities can compare to what is in NYC and DC. The public transportation in Seattle isn't even that great really.

Being that they are asking for nationwide proposals, I'm guessing that they may be willing to have a little leeway in this regard. Otherwise, why put out a request for proposals? Just pick the city that already has everything that you need already. Then look for some space and start negotiating with them for incentives.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
The sad fact, really, is that not many US cities can compare to what is in NYC and DC.
But yes, other than that I agree.

Everywhere else you're basically talking about 90% car modeshare vs. 80%.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I also see that the crater for the Mauna Loa volcano is interested in hosting Amazon HQ2. Mostly undeveloped land but I hear it's pretty hot real estate!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin