HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted May 2, 2012, 11:22 PM

Centennial Parkway | Confederation Station | ? | Under Construction

As explained in the "GO/Via" thread, I'd be creating a new thread in the suburbs section dedicated to the approved Confederation Station for GO Transit as proposed and approved by the Liberals for the promised all day train service to Toronto.

If you have not viewed the image of the station, here it is: http://gotransitnlb.gotransit.com/pu...Station%20.pdf

The construction just as the new James Street North station is suppose to be completed before the 2015 Pan Am Games, sometime in 2014, and according to local rumours was slated to begin this March, but nothing has been started and no postings around the area have been put up. The bridge over Centennial Parkway was in dire need of repair and a public information session outlining the work required was posted in the newspaper during the months of November and December. But other then that, with the opening of the new Wal-Mart Power Centre nothing has been stated about the station since.

If anyone has anymore information, including rumours, images, files, and articles pertaining to the construction of this station it would be greatly appreciated if you could post it to keep this thread alive. Thank you.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 2:10 AM

Lets not ge ahead of ourselves

the confediration station will not be built before they even secure money for the James North Station so hold on tight its gonna be a bumpy ride

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 10:21 PM
Concerned Citizen

Why would this be in the suburbs section? It's well within the old city of Hamilton boundaries.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 1:21 AM

Youre right, but I could forgive a guy for thinking Stoney Creek starts at centennial parkway.

Old Posted May 5, 2012, 11:43 PM

I always thought it did... Where does Stoney Creek start.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 2:29 AM

I think Stoney Creek starts at Centenial Parkway if you're on King St. But if you're on Barton, Stoney Creek starts further east.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 7:34 AM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
I always thought it did... Where does Stoney Creek start.
The old boundary went North from the escarpment down Centennial to Queenston then East to I think Grays Rd, then North to the lake.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 7:42 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2013, 10:17 PM

CENTENNIAL PARKWAY GO STATION
Councillor Chad Collins Report (Riverdale Community Edition) - September 2013

The Province of Ontario (through GO Transit/Metrolinx) has completed an environmental assessment process related to a GO regional transit service extension to the Niagara Region. As part of this service extension initiative, GO Transit/Metrolinx is in the site design process for a new GO Station in Hamilton on James Street North, which is targeted for opening in 2015. A second GO Transit station is also planned for Hamilton, in the Centennial Parkway area. The City of Hamilton is aware that GO Transit/Metrolinx has begun the process of purchasing land, including some surplus City land along Kenora Avenue for the purposes of the future Centennial Station. We’ve yet to be informed as to the timing of the service extension. I’ll provide additional details regarding the timing of construction as soon as information is made available.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2017, 6:15 PM

source

source

Quote:
Confederation Station

A new station in Stoney Creek means more GO service for the Hamilton community!

In June 2016, we announced funding for a new station located at 397 Centennial Pkwy. Since then we have been busy planning and designing the new station building will be fully accessible and will include:

- Ticket sales, shops and waiting areas
- An island platform with pedestrian tunnel
- Heated train shelters and platform canopies
- Accessible platform with elevators
- Bus loop with heated shelters
- Kiss & Ride
- Vehicle and bike parking
- Direct stair access from the platform to Centennial Parkway

We are approximately halfway through our design and expected to finalize our plans later this year.

We know that providing more GO stations closer to home is a key part of our plans, so we are hard at work planning and designing a new station at Casablanca Boulevard in Grimsby. We also have plans to renovate the existing VIA Rail stations in St. Catharines and Niagara Falls.
This work is required so we can support additional service and make your journey more comfortable from start to finish.

More information about our plans can be found here.

- gotransit.com

Centennial Parkway | Confederation Station | ? | Approved ---> Confederation GO Station | ? | 1 fl | Approved

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 6:09 PM

I drove by on the weekend and the land has been cleared and awaiting construction.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:51 PM

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 4:51 PM

Confederation GO Station Groundbreaking Ceremonyby TedMcMeekin, on Twitter

Confederation GO Station Groundbreaking Ceremony by TedMcMeekin, on Twitter

Quote:
Province breaks ground at new Stoney Creek GO station

CBC News | February 8, 2018

Liberal MPPs were on hand at the site of the future Stoney Creek GO station Thursday to mark the official groundbreaking on the project.

Ted McMeekin, MPP for Ancaster-Dundas-Flamborough-Westdale, and Jim Bradley, MPP for St. Catharines, were at the site today to unveil a new station sign and celebrate the project's groundbreaking.

The province says the Confederation GO station will include an island platform with a canopy, a "kiss and ride," a bus loop and a headed bus shelter.

It will also include a pedestrian tunnel, "up to" 600 parking spaces, and six elevators.

In a news release, the province said the station will "help facilitate year-round GO rail service to Stoney Creek on the Lakeshore West Line, and will also lay the groundwork for future plans to extend a second rail track to Niagara Falls."

Metrolinx plans to expand GO trains to St. Catharines and Niagara by 2023, and is currently designing a Casablanca GO station in Grimsby.

Work is already underway for the Stoney Creek station at 397 Centennial Pkwy. N. That includes excavating the property, building sewer connections and culvert extensions, and clearing the rail corridor.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2018, 2:26 PM

I believe this was discussed in the past. News article on how Confederation Station (and LRT) is expected to transform Centennial Parkway and area.

Last edited by NortheastWind; Feb 26, 2018 at 5:01 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:59 PM

Old Posted Apr 29, 2018, 7:20 PM

my photo

my photo

my photo

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 3:10 PM

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:28 PM
Hammer'd

Looks like they're really rushing to get that bus platform finished. Considering that it won't even connect to any train service for a few more years, this is pretty inconvenient for me when I come into Hamilton from St. Catharines. Barton and Nash was a lot better for HSR connectivity.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:09 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

This station would be a gold mine for any other city. I don't know why there isn't a mini downtown around this spot. ?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 1:47 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
This station would be a gold mine for any other city. I don't know why there isn't a mini downtown around this spot. ?
Probably because most of the surrounding area is heavy industrial.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs