HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 9:25 PM

^^ what is a gay bookstore if you don't mind my asking?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okstate View Post
^^ what is a gay bookstore if you don't mind my asking?
Really, it isn't a necessity! In this town we have Powell's etc. But in San Francisco, West Hollywood, even Dallas they have great gay bookstores. It carries gay themed fiction, DVD of gay themed movies (Brokeback Mountain, etc), gay magazines. Biographys of gay and gay friendly people. The one in Dallas even has a coffee bar. Like I said not a necessity, but nice to have.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 5:30 PM

Learn something new every day. I just assumed Powell's carried most of that material. Maybe it does but is dispersed around and not concentrated.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2009, 7:12 PM

I just read that the oldest gay bookstore in NYC has just closed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?se...cal&id=6639934

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 4:10 PM
Karma Police

Powell's has a very large LGBT section, but it's just books, not the cards, DVDs, magazines and other gay-related gift items that you would find in a typical gay book store.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Cosmopolitan View Post
Sorry I didn't meant to insult the gay community I just thought that the greater tolerance that people have now towards gay people would allow gay clubs to open anywhere in the city without having problems with the local community; and I thought that it would be good news for gay people, because a gay club would increasingly be seen as normal as any other club. I'm not trying to tell what’s good for gay people; I just thought that all this changes were a sign of greater tolerance allowing the gay community to spread.
Has nothing to do with tolerance. Straight clubs tend to congragate too. Here in Chicago we have Clark Street and Halsted (Lincoln Park), Rush Street and so on. Where straight bars are elbow to elbow. So this really shouldn't be an issue about gays and straights...but just how easy it is to club hop.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 6:40 PM
Well designed mixed use

Fair to mention that although Stark Street is changing, there are still many gay-owned businesses. Three of the four Ace Hotel partners are in fact gay, and the owners of Cacao are gay as well. I'm not gay so I cannot speak and will not speak for the gay community, but I have read that certain types of establishments like Club Portland and Eagle are simply not as popular as before and therefore going out of business or moving to parts of town where rent is cheap.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 7:21 PM
Bears of antiquity

Club Portland shuttered because they were hemmorhaging money over code and because the property was more valuable than they were.

The Eagle moved to 6th and Couch because the building they were in was leaking and not really all that great. There was a lull in mid-2006, but when the DJs from Booty came and started throwing parties, there was hardly an empty Saturday Night.

They are in the basement of Casey's and still pack it in most weekends.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2009, 7:31 PM

I still think that the gay triangle isn't fully gone. The gay community loves the the Ace, the Living Room Theater is gay managed (I think), Cascade Aids project has their Men's wellness center, and the Fez/Aura/RedCap/FishGrotto/ Boxxes building is gay managed.

Speaking as a gay man, I wonder if the revitalization of Stark street will move out less desirable uses and become attractors for a more socially diverse gay clientele and businesses. I think the times are changing and we are moving towards positive change in the downtown areas. Bars for an older generation were important as they represented safety in numbers and a judgement free environment. I don't think, however, that my age group 24-28 find that they necessarily identify themselves with being in a bar every week but rather with building a sense of community, both gay and straight. That is my opinion from working for LGBTQ rights for the past 4 years.

Imagine in 20-40 years when 82nd begins to be redeveloped, will the straight community come out in full force for destroying the video shops, strip clubs, and automotive stores? It seems strange that gay people are screaming gentrication over the reuse of a historic hotel turned seedy bathhouse turned hotel, and strip club, but we are perfectly fine running amuck owning houses and swanky businesses in North Portland. We also seem perfectly fine taking cheap real estate, installing new fixtures, landscaping, and then rebranding neighborhoods with new monikers like NoPo, or FoWo, North of Tabor (joe that's for you), etc.

My opinion. Thanks for letting me rant as the topic was pretty close to home.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 7:42 AM
Karma Police

FoWo? Haven't heard that one before. Let me guess... Foster/Woodstock? (aka Lents)?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 12:49 PM

FoWo, that's terrible!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 9:35 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

FoWo? Oh no.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2009, 9:11 AM

North of Tabor? Does that become NoTa? That may be some time a way..

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Has nothing to do with tolerance. Straight clubs tend to congragate too. Here in Chicago we have Clark Street and Halsted (Lincoln Park), Rush Street and so on. Where straight bars are elbow to elbow. So this really shouldn't be an issue about gays and straights...but just how easy it is to club hop.
You'r right I talked about gay people without even knowing them really, any way how is the gay triangle growing up right now does it survive well gentrification?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2012, 10:16 PM
PearlHelp.com

North Portland Restoration

McMenamins proposes boutique hotel in North Portland

McMenamins is looking into the possibility of turning an old, burned-out Masonic lodge in North Portland into a boutique hotel.

Mount Hood Masonic Lodge No. 157 is at 5308 N. Commercial Ave., adjacent to McMenamins’ Chapel Pub. The company envisions joining the two properties by converting the paved parking lot between them into a lush garden with an outdoor spa, a garden bar and a sitting area.

Mario Espinosa, an architect with Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects, said the concept is subject to design review and public input. A pre-application conference is scheduled for April 11.

The 16,245-square-foot building was constructed in 1923 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was designed by Sutton and Whitney, a once notable Oregon architecture firm, and stands out in the neighborhood with a Colonial Revival-style brick facade. And like other McMenamins properties, its history has flair.

Tim Hills, McMenamins historian, said that in 1924 a local group staged a drama production at the building.

“Two of the actors in there went on to quite brighter careers after 1924: Clark Gable and the other was Mark Rothko, the artist,” Hills said.

The production was an adaptation of author Zona Gale’s 1920 novel “Miss Lulu Bett,” and the director was an actress named Josephine Dillon, Hills said.

“Later in 1924, she and Billy Gable – as he was known at the time – went down to Hollywood and got married, and he started going by his middle name and away they went,” he said.

Hills said another interesting historical tidbit is that one of the lodge’s founders, John Chambers, was the original owner of the funeral home (now the Chapel Pub) next door.

In 1982, vandals set fire to the lodge, and flames wreaked havoc throughout the interior. It has since sat vacant.

“But you can see the remnants of the grandeur that was there and these big, enormous spaces that were used for ceremonies and meetings,” Hills said.

In 2007, McMenamins purchased the property from Ethos Inc., a music education foundation, for $675,000. Prior to the recent recession, Ethos had hoped to make the temple its headquarters and turn the space into a teaching and performance venue.

Espinosa said the team wants to restore the building’s natural grandeur.

“The exterior is (planned) to be renovated and it’s pretty much going to keep its old beauty and clean it up and make it a little stronger,” Espinosa said.

Much of the charred remains would need to be removed, and the building would need a seismic upgrade, but McMenamins envisions a three-story, 46-room hotel. It would have a 974-square-foot venue, meeting and bar/pub space, as well as another small pub in the attic. The company would convert the basement into mechanical space and add showers and restrooms for guests using the spa.

Espinosa said the proposed hotel would essentially follow in the footsteps of the 51-room Crystal Hotel, a downtown Portland property that the company renovated last year. That hotel’s rooms highlight past performances in the building, and while Espinosa said the new hotel would also play up history, he did not know yet what that would look like.

Espinosa said he hopes the proposed plans will be well received and that he thinks it’s a sound way to preserve an ailing architectural landmark.

“We’re trying to save the building and not let it cave in on itself,” he said.

Via: DJC Oregon.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2012, 6:13 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

This is awesome! When the work gets underway, somebody should take down that "U" sign, turn it into a piece of happy face art and frame it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 6:49 PM

Gentrification

Report: City action could reduce some neighborhood gentrification (Portland Tribune)

Quote:
Portland’s eastside neighborhoods south of Powell Boulevard and between 82nd Avenue and Interstate 205 are among those likely to face future gentrification pressures, according to a new study.

In the city’s first serious stab at addressing gentrification — displacement of lower-income residents and local merchants as a neighborhood grows more desirable — the Bureau of Planning & Sustainability commissioned a study by Portland State University Urban Studies Professor Lisa Bates that maps out vulnerable neighborhoods and suggests possible remedies.

Addressing gentrification will remain a daunting challenge, says Tom Armstrong, supervising planner. But now “we have a better handle on the when and where” it will occur, Armstrong says.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2013, 10:09 PM

OregonLive has a better map, at:

http://projects.oregonlive.com/maps/gentrification/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 3:30 AM

Was gonna put this in Central Eastside, but more of a general affordability theme... interesting stuff :

Developers not biting city’s lure

By: Lee Fehrenbacher in Scrolling Box June 20, 2014 9:32 am

Quote:
Trinsic Residential Group employees Allison Finn, left, and Jack Paauw, stand in front of the former Falcon Auto lot on East Burnside Street, where the firm will begin construction on a multifamily project later this year. Trinsic researched using a Portland program that aims to incentivize affordable housing – but decided to pass because the company found it to be too risky and burdensome. (Sam Tenney/DJC)
Quote:
When Dallas-based Trinsic Residential Group set its sights on Portland, it had hoped to replicate a 159-unit apartment project it was developing on the far side of Puget Sound. That $41 million development, now under construction, will have underground parking, high-end amenities and 20 percent affordable units. The Portland project will have those components too – except the affordable housing.

That’s because unlike a popular program in Seattle that rewards developers who include affordable housing in their market-rate projects with tax exemptions, a similar program in Portland effectively penalizes them, said Allison Finn, a development associate at Trinsic Residential. Portland city leaders are searching for new incentives to encourage inclusion of affordable housing in developments, but industry professionals say the first step should be to fix the disconnect between the existing tax exemption program and the free market.

“It’s too bad that the Portland program is what it is today just because there is a big multifamily housing boom going on and there are a lot of neat, cool, urban infill projects going on that could potentially have an affordable component,” Finn said. “But I just don’t see that same participation in Portland that I do here in Seattle … I hope they can craft or morph the program into something that’s more attractive to developers, and hopefully encourages more affordable housing in Portland in the close-in neighborhoods.”

Read more: http://djcoregon.com/news/2014/06/20...#ixzz35EyCjpcD

Old Posted Jun 22, 2014, 1:30 PM

Great article. Thanks for sharing this. Are you familiar with the specific law in Seattle, if there are similar incentives in other cities, and why ours is so ineffective (why we don't have that program here)?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Parks, Metro, Urban Design & Heritage Issues