HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Apr 9, 2012, 1:53 PM
3rd Coast King

Tales of a Second Shooter.....

So I thought I would share this with you guys here on SSP since I share just about all of my other photography with yall. These are some shots from my first official second shooter job. I did this more as practice for another wedding I am shooting in a few weeks but did get paid. Made $100, got some BBQ and a few Shiner Bocks. Met lots of nice people too.

You guy tell me what you think and remember you can fly me in if you ever get married and want a Disko treatment to your pics!

View the full set here.

My Book

Last edited by diskojoe; Apr 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 6:25 PM

These are really nice!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:32 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
These are really nice!
Thanks. I like to think I earned my $100!

My Book

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 12:21 AM

^Lol you should come to Chicago, people are a little desperate over here. I was offered $300 to photograph a wedding a couple weeks ago even though I consistently told them that I had zero experience in professional photography and that my focus was on architecture. Only after I rejected their offer 3 times did they finally give up.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 7:33 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
^Lol you should come to Chicago, people are a little desperate over here. I was offered $300 to photograph a wedding a couple weeks ago even though I consistently told them that I had zero experience in professional photography and that my focus was on architecture. Only after I rejected their offer 3 times did they finally give up.
You might be on to something.

Move to Chicago - love that idea
Get paid for photography - love this idea even more

This was actually a pretty low paying gig. The last wedding I did I got $250 when I offered to do it for free. And I have one scheduled for next Saturday that I am getting paid $500 for. Already got a $250 deposit yesterday! Hopefully I can get some referrals and some more gigs.

Weddings are pretty easy if you know the check list of shots. Only problem is working with whatever lighting that might be available. This is where the real work comes into play. Lighting is usually low and nothing close to ideal.

If you look at my pics you can see this. Outside with natural light the shots are perfect and I have a really crappy camera. But inside with the low light you can tell how crappy my camera really is because it cant handle those type of conditions. But since Im starting to make money I can legitimize an upgrade!

My Book

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 5:14 PM

I'm surprised you never thought of renting a camera and lens for the weekend(friday to Monday morning) in Montreal you can rent a Sony Alpha900 (24MP) for $140 and a killer Zeiss 24-70 for $40 (total about $210 with taxes),if you charge $500-$600 you can walk away with a profit of about $400 and your shots will be stunning (resulting in more contracts in the future) PS I expect 10% of all profits and this time no fucking paypal (I still can't get my $20)

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:14 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.John View Post
I'm surprised you never thought of renting a camera and lens for the weekend(friday to Monday morning) in Montreal you can rent a Sony Alpha900 (24MP) for $140 and a killer Zeiss 24-70 for $40 (total about $210 with taxes),if you charge $500-$600 you can walk away with a profit of about $400 and your shots will be stunning (resulting in more contracts in the future) PS I expect 10% of all profits and this time no fucking paypal (I still can't get my $20)
I have a homie that has all that and would let me borrow it for free if he didnt have a shoot that weekend. But I like to do it with my own gear. Plus I am not use to working with gear of that caliber. In this type of situation I need to be able to make adjustments quickly so you have to be very familiar with your gear. I probably will rent an extra flash in the future if needed. I found out that I can rent another flash with radio poppers and a stand for about $60.

I plan on getting an upgrade to an alpha 580 (same sensor as the d7000) after my next wedding shot this weekend. I am going to make $500 off that and will be able to sell my a200 and a couple lenses should get another $500. So that will pay for the motor. Still talking my wife into letting me get the new sigma 17-50mm f2.8. I really need that too. My kit lens is busted and has junk on the lens and I dont want to keep using variable aperture.

My Book

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 1:07 AM
So very tired...

You did pretty good Joe, congrats. I am curious what the bridesmaids are holding up there in the kiss sequence.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:15 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
You did pretty good Joe, congrats. I am curious what the bridesmaids are holding up there in the kiss sequence.
Thanks. Honestly I have no idea what the signs said. I was too busy at the time to look up and read them and didnt see them later on. They had lots of little props and such. I'm thinking maybe score cards.

My Book

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography