HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 11:06 AM

that Factory 21 is completely gone , hard to tell there was even a building there

now on the Corner of Young and Agricola

Former tanner supply (I'll miss the creepy dog) and the house that used to be the Futon Store

still 2 properties just cheaper to demolish both at once
the TAnner Supply lot is being rebuilt as a gourmet Pizza Shop called Mothers Pizza

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 11:37 AM

Ha and this is a funny one from the mothers pizza blog

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 4:14 PM

Good to see those two derelict buildings removed.

Too bad HRM was not acting proactively to reclaim some frontage from both of those lots to widen Young St a bit. That corner is claustrophobic and a real traffic bottleneck.

Of course if they did, some bozos would demand a half-block long bike lane instead.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2012, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Good to see those two derelict buildings removed.

Too bad HRM was not acting proactively to reclaim some frontage from both of those lots to widen Young St a bit. That corner is claustrophobic and a real traffic bottleneck.

Of course if they did, some bozos would demand a half-block long bike lane instead.
Yup.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2012, 2:54 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The owners of these buildings have stated that they'd like to move in to this corner again sometime in the fall. That seems awfully quick given that the old buildings are being torn down in August. It makes me worry about the quality of the replacement buildings.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 2:33 PM
Honored Member

The following update is posted on the halifax.ca website regarding the Bay three-storey expansion: (source: http://www.halifax.ca/planning/Case17397Details.html): No further action has taken place on the application since the February 2012 public information meeting. The application has therefore been closed.

However, it is mentioned that "Work to convert the existing building floor space is already underway."

In an old Chronicle Herald story (one year ago), there is mention that part of the 800 parking spot garage is being converted for use by tenants - http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...r-bay-building. It sounds like the parking garage is being converted to office space(?)

The renovated Bay is rumoured to be the location of the consolidated CBC TV/Radio. Also, 70,000 square feet will be leased by Admiral Insurance company, which has plans to expand from 400 to 800 employees (quite a large company).

Now that the Nova Centre is planned to start in the near future, maybe Joe Ramia has too much on his plate to continue with the Bay expansion proposal (which isn't a big loss).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
In an old Chronicle Herald story (one year ago), there is mention that part of the 800 parking spot garage is being converted for use by tenants - http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...r-bay-building. It sounds like the parking garage is being converted to office space(?)
Maybe they're converting some of the parking spots into reserved parking? That happened a few years ago with some of the spots in the Purdy's Wharf garage.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 12:37 PM

The lot down on the corner of Hollis and South St has been smoothed out and sadly it looks as if it will become downtown Halifax's newest parking lot

Old Posted Aug 5, 2012, 1:37 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
The lot down on the corner of Hollis and South St has been smoothed out and sadly it looks as if it will become downtown Halifax's newest parking lot
I think that you are referring to this lot - http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=5167+So...cTAS9KmjA&z=18

The last thing I read regarding this lot is that the owner was waiting for an increase in height from 13.716 meters to 22 meters to permit a multilevel residential development. It was mentioned in the May 3, 2011 minutes - http://www.halifax.ca/council/documents/c110503.pdf. This is an excerpt of the minutes:
Quote:
11. MOTIONS

11.1 Councillor Sloane

An e-mail submission dated May 2, 2011 from Elias Metlej was before Council.

MOVED by Councillor Sloane, seconded by Councillor Wile that Halifax Regional Council:

1. Authorize staff to include, as part of the first annual review of the Downtown Halifax Secondary Municipal Planning Strategy and the Downtown Halifax Land Use By-law, the consideration of potential amendments to the Maximum Pre-Bonus and Maximum Post-Bonus height maps to increase the height on properties identified by civic addresses 5161 to 5167 South Street, Halifax, from the current height of 13.716 metres to 22 metres, as was originally recommended by the Urban Design Task Force, and for the maximum height on these properties to be calculated as per the definition of building height, as contained under Part 2 of the Land Use By-law.

2. Request that staff follow the public participation program approved by Council on February 25, 1997.

Mr. Austin French, Manager, Planning Services, responded to questions of clarification from members of Council explaining that during the HRM by Design approval process, the 22 metres in height was requested to be lowered to 13.716 meters for this area until such time as the Barrington South Heritage Conservation area would be considered.

Councillor Sloane added that the area in question, located a block away from the approved Heritage Conservation district, would be a vacant lot for some time if Council awaited the Barrington South Heritage Conservation decision.

MOTION PUT AND PASSED.
This item should have been included as part of the first annual review of the Downtown Halifax Secondary Municipal Planning Strategy and the Downtown Halifax Land Use By-law. Edited: I found the minutes of the first annual review meeting and there is no mention of this matter - http://www.halifax.ca/boardscom/drc/...nts/110811.pdf . Where it has gone; does anyone know?

Last edited by fenwick16; Aug 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I think, most parking there's in a city and this is better for the traffic. I live in a city where is very difficult found a parking. And i know, is not good for the pollution, but it's necessary for the traffic order. Halifax (from what i read) is a city with 372.679 peoples and they're not a few.
Honestly i don't know how many parking lot there's in Halifax, but the structures are impressive and i think some parking lot, is not bad.

(Google translate rules)

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 7:54 PM

There have been some streetscape 'improvements' along Quinpool Rd recently with the addition of several plastic planter boxes. I'll try to grab some pictures when I can, but in my opinion, these additions are incredibly discouraging. Rather than improving the streetscape, these planters seem to contribute to its degeneration by addition to its already cheap and rundown quality. Some recent openings had me rather encouraged Quinpool could turn around. Another example of the city succeeding in spite of its management. Just terrible.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 9:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Yeah, it's a real shame that the city's been unable to get it together for so long when it comes to the streetscape improvements. It's hard to think of a public project that is so cheap and yet would have such a visible impact.

The Hollis and South height limit is another sad story. If I remember correctly, I think Sloane and possibly some others wanted a low height limit on that site to discourage demolition of the heritage buildings. A few years later that ill-conceived policy backfired and now we will have an empty lot, hopefully only for a few extra years but who knows?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yeah, it's a real shame that the city's been unable to get it together for so long when it comes to the streetscape improvements. It's hard to think of a public project that is so cheap and yet would have such a visible impact.
Even the new lightpole banners on Quinpool are bad. They took a remnant of the former 1940's-style "Quinpool Rd." logo they had used previously, which wasn't bad, and laid a new look on top of it. Looks crappy. Who's in charge of the Quinpool Business District anyway? They seem to be lacking some good judgement.

Quote:
The Hollis and South height limit is another sad story. If I remember correctly, I think Sloane and possibly some others wanted a low height limit on that site to discourage demolition of the heritage buildings. A few years later that ill-conceived policy backfired and now we will have an empty lot, hopefully only for a few extra years but who knows?
Well, the odds are good that Sloane will be bounced this time and regardless, she will not represent this district after October. Perhaps someone with some sense will submit an amendment to let some height be built on this block.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 11:28 PM

Tah dahh...

Last edited by pchipman; Aug 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 12:50 AM

The rectangular ones look like coffins and the round ones look like trash cans. Cripes.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 1:16 PM

land for the Rona on Almon completely clear

Old Posted Aug 7, 2012, 1:20 PM

and what's with this

Why the need for storage locker with a view? Do you pay a premium for that ?

also dickish how they have all that land and they built it right beside CAW blocking one side of their windows

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 2:30 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There was an article about Cogswell in ANS tonight. Apparently the city may soon issue an RFP for a development plan.

The overall time frame isn't clear but it seems like the time to begin planning is now, since many existing empty lots are filling in and since it will take many years to fully disassemble and redevelop the interchange lands. It sounds like they're looking at a phased plan for bringing smaller land parcels to market and gradually switching traffic to at-grade streets. A new transit hub was also mentioned. I think this could be very important and could tie in well with other new developments.

In a way I think it might be good that Cogswell was delayed. Council talked about dismantling it in the 1990's but there was little appreciation back then of good urban design, transit, etc. That was the era of, say, the MetroPark, which was funded by regional council. The old plans from that era were more like traffic studies and called for what looked like at-grade suburban style arterials rather than a well-planned extension of the downtown.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 10:31 AM

Cogswell lands

I wonder if rather than running a grid of streets thru Cogswell if it might make sense to do a one-way street around the outside with possibly a few towers in the interior. Possibly lots of people space around the towers.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2012, 1:20 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
I wonder if rather than running a grid of streets thru Cogswell if it might make sense to do a one-way street around the outside with possibly a few towers in the interior. Possibly lots of people space around the towers.
I think that the expectation for available land is far to high for the Cogswell lands. If a grid pattern is created then there will be gridlock as Upper Water, Hollis and Barrington will have to tee into Cornwallis St. making a very awkward exit from downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth