HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 8:11 PM

Most desirable (US) cities to millennials (survey)

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 8:49 PM
Never Dell

No surprises, other than I'd have put Miami, Boston, and Chicago higher.

Obviously migration doesn't look like the list...prices and job availability come into play.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 9:11 PM

Portland and Austin definitely punch above their weight according to that list.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 10:01 PM
BANNED

Those cities should B u i l d M o r e H o u s i n g

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 10:05 PM
Future God

I'm surprised they didn't include Nashville in this study, because it's more or less a hipster amusement park at this point.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 10:18 PM
Never Dell

My impression is Nashville's national reputation is country music, not millennial playground.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 10:19 PM

How is Miami under Chicago and Minneapolis?

There's no way I'm believing this shit.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:03 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I'm surprised they didn't include Nashville in this study, because it's more or less a hipster amusement park at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
My impression is Nashville's national reputation is country music, not millennial playground.
I knew a guy who recently gave up a rent controlled apartment and decent job in San Francisco to make a go of it in Nashville.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:15 PM
Posh

Quote:
Lots of hipsters these days are into Bluegrass and other country-style types of music.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 11:35 PM
Future God

Quote:
Oh it's definitely still that too, but these days it's also artisan honey shops, and vintage record stores, and dive bars, and organic empanada stands.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Oh it's definitely still that too, but these days it's also artisan honey shops, and vintage record stores, and dive bars, and organic empanada stands.
I've heard that Nashville has a killer gourmet food truck scene these days. Boston-San Fran-level good. That's gotta count for something.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 12:44 AM

I'm not saying that Nashville doesn't have all these things, but at least on the East Coast, this rep. hasn't sunk in. I don't think people here group Nashville with the Austin-Portland typology.

IMO Austin is overrated and Philly underrated, but whatever.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:18 AM

I'd imagine it's the same as it's always been. The best and brightest and most motivated can go anywhere. Everyone else pretty much settles in their own catchment zones.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:40 AM

Interesting........YSL.......

Weren't you on the "LA reached 4 million milestone" thread saying that millennials hated LA?.... Isn't it a bit awkward to create a thread that proves your own statement wrong?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:32 AM
The Vomit Bag.

clickbait

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:38 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I've heard that Nashville has a killer gourmet food truck scene these days. Boston-San Fran-level good. That's gotta count for something.
I don't think I'd go that far, but yeah, the food scene in general has really exploded.

Anyway, didn't mean to make this thread about Nashville. I just expected to see it on the list...I mean, Jack White is basically the defacto mayor these days. Haha...but anyway.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 3:52 AM

As a Millennial, I would choose Philadelphia over all of these cities. Philly is a big city with an excellent urban form, plenty of young people, an excellent public transportation system, an exciting dining and shopping scene, connections to other large cities, and great nightlife. This entire package comes with a lower COL than other comparable cities.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:35 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nashville has already been referenced to on portlandia as a place to move to from portland (along with asheville). in all seriousness it's a legit hipster magnet (somehow). if austin can make it work with a tiny, overpriced urban core, then so can nashville. it sucks people in from both the south and the midwest, which can get interesting. it's sort of like how austin used to be, but also with shiny condo towers going up and taylor swift.

nashville has also been a magnet as a home base for working indie bands for 15 years, now, so even though the country music industry is still huge there, it isn't JUST that.

Last edited by Centropolis; Jun 17, 2016 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 1:42 PM

Quote:
That doesn't even cross my mind when I think of Nashville most of the time. It's basically the Austin or Portland of the Southeast. And it's a great town for all types of music.

Edit: Seems this point has already been driven home by other posters. Didn't mean to beat a dead horse. Though it is interesting that apparently folks in the Northeast and West aren't aware of the city's transformation over the last 10 or so years. Where I'm from in Florida, it definitely seems to be the biggest millennial lifestyle magnet, probably due to proximity. (I say lifestyle magnet because the more practical millenials often end up in Atlanta or a Northeast Corridor city for career reasons. Though Nashville's economy is doing pretty well).

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
Though it is interesting that apparently folks in the Northeast and West aren't aware of the city's transformation over the last 10 or so years.
I think you're conflating two things. It may be true that Nashville doesn't have the same reputation as Austin-Portland in certain parts of the country (it definitely seems to be true in the Northeast, where Nashville = Sunbelt, rednecks and country music).

Whether or not Nashville has had a "transformation" is irrelevant to whether or not it has a certain reputation. I mean, Austin is massively known as a hipster millennial indie type place, yet Austin is one of the sprawliest, most car-oriented, most chain-store oriented cities I've ever seen (supposedly these are things millennials don't want). There's basically no urban context.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions