HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 3:42 AM

2010 Olympic Security

How nice of the Americans....

Washington State to spend $71 million on 2010 Games Security

BELLINGHAM, Wash., Jan. 9 (UPI) -- The expected increase in border traffic due to the Vancouver Olympics has officials in Washington state calling for U.S. Homeland Security Department funds.

Officials from Whatcom County, which borders the Canadian province of British Columbia, have begun lobbying the U.S. government for $71.3 million to assist in the expected increase in border traffic and potential terrorist threats the Vancouver 2010 Olympics will have on the northern border county, the Vancouver Province reported.

Pete Kremen, a Whatcom County executive, says as a result of the volume of people expected to cross the border during the Olympics, the county will need the additional funds to fight the potential of a terrorist threat.

Whatcom officials estimate that of the 450,000 expected to attend the Games, approximately two-thirds will travel from the United States, the majority of whom will take the interstate highway connecting route.

If granted, the government funds would pay for a regional emergency operations center, coordinating radio and phones between American and Canadian officials and additional equipment for emergency response officials among other security related items.

County officials will take their multimillion-dollar request to Washington, D.C., Jan. 16.

© 2008 United Press International. All Rights Reserved.

New perimeter-protection technology for 2010 will be Canadian
Jan, 16 2008 - 11:30 AM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - The head of security for the 2010 Olympics says new perimeter-protection technology will be supplied by a Canadian company.

"It must be Canadian, that's my understanding."

RCMP assistant-commissioner Bud Mercer says a call for bidders went out this morning... And the winning contractor will supply intrusion detection services for 25 venues in Whistler and Vancouver.

"And there's a process involved for that selection process which includes security clearances and then, once they've been selected, then our operational plans will be provided to them to put their costing models together to be competitive and to be considered."

The 2010 games will be the first Olympics in Canada to replace patrol officers with electronic sensors and video cameras.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2008, 4:45 AM

Terrorists will strike Bellingham, Washington.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 7:29 AM

Military preparing to commit `thousands' to secure 2010 Games

Derrick Penner, Vancouver Sun
Published: Wednesday, January 30, 2008

VANCOUVER - The military is preparing to commit "thousands" of troops to ensure security at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, the Forces' Pacific coast commanding officer said today.

Rear Admiral Tyrone Pile told a Delta Chamber of Commerce audience that he already has 25 people at his "joint task force games" headquarters in Esquimalt, a number that will quadruple by this summer.

In addition, members of the military are also participating in the Games' integrated security unit led by the RCMP.

Pile said the military contribution likely won't be as large as the 16,000-member contingent the Forces supplied to the 1976 Montreal Olympics.

"We're better at what we do and well organized," he said, "but boy, do I have some challenges to deal with."

He wouldn't give a hard personnel number but said "there will be thousands of Canadian forces involved but not to the extent [Montreal] that I mentioned earlier."

Pile said the 2010 Olympics are a "no-fail mission" for the military.

"It is our No. 1 domestic priority, and we will field the naval, air and land forces necessary to support it," he added.

Support, Pile said, will include such things as venue security, air, sea and land surveillance and logistical support.

Pile said he couldn't answer questions about the military's security budget because planners have yet to finalize what personnel and equipment are needed for the Olympics.

The military and RCMP have already held their first table-top planning exercise to test how well their command networks would coordinate with one another in "dealing with events that could disrupt the Games," he said in an interview.

Pile wouldn't be more specific about what kind of disruptive events the exercise anticipated, but the media has previously reported on security concerns ranging from domestic protests to terrorist attacks.

Canada was listed as the fifth most important "Christian" target behind the United States, United Kingdom, Spain, and Australia by al-Qaida in 2004, Canadian Lt.-Gen Marc Dumais wrote in a report made public last spring.

The 2010 Olympics, his report said, "could offer opportunities for terrorists [international and domestic] and extremists to further their agendas," to attack Canada or other participating nations.

Pile, on Wednesday, would also not comment on Canada's current terrorism threat level let alone what the military is preparing to address in 2010.

He would only say the Armed Forces have made a threat assessment and will ensure they're capable of dealing with any potential changes in the future.

Some 12,350 RCMP, police and private security are also expected to be part of the Olympic security effort.

The Games' security budget has proved to be a controversial topic with the RCMP, last summer, admitting the $175 million established for Vancouver's Olympic bid will be inadequate for the security task.

Military observers have suggested the Armed Forces contribution alone could run in the half a billion dollar range.

A RCMP report made public noted the integrated security unit is being asked to secure 100 venues and locations, almost five times the numbers spelled out in Vancouver's bid, and includes more tasks than they expected, such as screening up to 100,000 volunteers.

But where would we get these troops? Surely, a lot will be from Afghanistan with the federal gov't being pressured by the opposition to end the operation in 2009.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 7:45 AM

glad to see they're taking a heavy-handed approach to security.

according to a client of mine (who is closely involved in olympic security) we will see security unlike anything we've ever seen in vancouver (obviously). expected guests include the prime minister, vice president of the USA, and the queen, among many others.

i wonder what type of security challenges are encountered with the proximity of so many highrise condos in and around olympic venues. how on earth do you go about securing a condo on the 20th floor of spectrum overlooking bc place?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bils View Post
glad to see they're taking a heavy-handed approach to security.

according to a client of mine (who is closely involved in olympic security) we will see security unlike anything we've ever seen in vancouver (obviously). expected guests include the prime minister, vice president of the USA, and the queen, among many others.

i wonder what type of security challenges are encountered with the proximity of so many highrise condos in and around olympic venues. how on earth do you go about securing a condo on the 20th floor of spectrum overlooking bc place?
You don't want to know It will be interesting... but I do suppose we have an advantage of being in Canada, and not in the USA where there would be snipers situated on every rooftop.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
You don't want to know It will be interesting... but I do suppose we have an advantage of being in Canada, and not in the USA where there would be snipers situated on every rooftop.
considering there will be domestic and foreign dignitaries attending the ceremonies at BC Place, the stadium should be one of the most secured places in the entire city...besides the Athletes Villages. i really wonder how they'll fence the village, the convention centre, BC Place, GM Place, etc.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
But where would we get these troops? Surely, a lot will be from Afghanistan with the federal gov't being pressured by the opposition to end the operation in 2009.
There are over 10 000 boots available to fill in. Even with the 2500 in A-stan, we wont have a problem with numbers at all. The length of the Olympics is less than many-a-field exercises soldiers encountered throughout their training.

As much as they bitch and groan, this will be a walk in the park for the army... Save for if the rifles are taken away in exchange for something more peaceful looking. Some officers will have to push papers, and they have to be willing to commit alot of dollars to it, but it can easily be done. Should make for a solid PR and boost our overall buildup.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Mind View Post
There are over 10 000 boots available to fill in. Even with the 2500 in A-stan, we wont have a problem with numbers at all. The length of the Olympics is less than many-a-field exercises soldiers encountered throughout their training.

As much as they bitch and groan, this will be a walk in the park for the army... Save for if the rifles are taken away in exchange for something more peaceful looking. Some officers will have to push papers, and they have to be willing to commit alot of dollars to it, but it can easily be done. Should make for a solid PR and boost our overall buildup.
Interestingly enough, that's what the Germans did in Munich 1972. They wanted to soften their image after what they did in World War II, so they had around 300 security guards patrolling the Athletes Village - and none of them were armed. And because of the lack of security, the terrorists were then able to hop over the security fence, into the athletes village, bypass the unarmed security, and take their hostages.

After what happened in Munich, the Canadian government took no chances with Montreal 1976 and as the article stated, sent in huge numbers (16,000 armed soldiers) to patrol the Montreal Games.

I'm sure there would still be quite a few Canadian soldiers holding automatics in Vancouver. During my trip to Hong Kong, I was surprised to see bank after bank with security guards wearing helmets, bullet proof vests, and either a shotgun or an automatic.

I wonder how this will work out: "The 2010 games will be the first Olympics in Canada to replace patrol officers with electronic sensors and video cameras."

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:48 AM

^^ In regards to being armed: my father was part of the army security for the 1984 Winter Olympics...he was given a rifle, but no bullets. Generally, people who were actually armed were stationed every couple of blocks within shouting distance. However, this was only in the city centre; the athletes village was heavily fortified.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:50 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.x2 View Post
Interestingly enough, that's what the Germans did in Munich 1972. They wanted to soften their image after what they did in World War II, so they had around 300 security guards patrolling the Athletes Village - and none of them were armed. And because of the lack of security, the terrorists were then able to hop over the security fence, into the athletes village, bypass the unarmed security, and take their hostages.

After what happened in Munich, the Canadian government took no chances with Montreal 1976 and as the article stated, sent in huge numbers (16,000 armed soldiers) to patrol the Montreal Games.

I'm sure there would still be quite a few Canadian soldiers holding automatics in Vancouver. During my trip to Hong Kong, I was surprised to see bank after bank with security guards wearing helmets, bullet proof vests, and either a shotgun or an automatic.

I wonder how this will work out: "The 2010 games will be the first Olympics in Canada to replace patrol officers with electronic sensors and video cameras."
I think it's amazing how many on-foot police officers there are in Hong Kong.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I think it's amazing how many on-foot police officers there are in Hong Kong.
I'd say at least 2 officers for every 3-4 blocks.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2008, 7:47 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

This is a matter where I have some insight and am involved with, the miltary has been the plan for security since the start and that has ruffled the RCMPs feathers. Fact of the matter is the miltary is already being paid, they don't incur overtime and in so does not cost the government as much money. Why would you pay the RCMP hundreds of millions in OT when you have armed forces who are better trained, being underused on a base, when they could be putting their training to use.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2008, 6:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
This is a matter where I have some insight and am involved with, the miltary has been the plan for security since the start and that has ruffled the RCMPs feathers. Fact of the matter is the miltary is already being paid, they don't incur overtime and in so does not cost the government as much money. Why would you pay the RCMP hundreds of millions in OT when you have armed forces who are better trained, being underused on a base, when they could be putting their training to use.
Good point....though maybe it's because the RCMP has this sort of experience, afterall they are the ones in charge of organizing and delivering security for foreign dignitary visits and international events in the country.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 9:32 PM
BANNED

for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies could we see a security person with a machine gun at the top of every row?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2008, 10:46 PM

^ of course not. that has never happened before, why would it happen in 2010. you'll see uniformed security guards at all of the concourse entrances to the seats, and you'll have security guards standing at the bottom row. we might also have plain clothed police in the crowds.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:42 AM
BANNED

I hear on the news APEC is trying to get attention again; this time problems at the Countdown clock again

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:47 AM
BANNED

These protestors are getting out of hand...

Bright yellow paint was smeared down the front of the clock and a poster was plastered over the number of days left until the Games

http://www.news1130.com/news/topstor...17_202043_7364

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:48 AM

>_<

new topic is needed for this!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 3:01 AM
BANNED

I'm really upset about what happened today. They smashed that beautiful Clock and sprayed yellow all over the wood. I walk by it everyday to/from work. I am disgusted. Who are these terrible people? All that beautiful masterpiece wood on the clock and they smash the glass and spraypaint the wood.

What is wrong with this city?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 3:57 AM
Vancouver Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerguy3 View Post
I'm really upset about what happened today. They smashed that beautiful Clock and sprayed yellow all over the wood. I walk by it everyday to/from work. I am disgusted. Who are these terrible people? All that beautiful masterpiece wood on the clock and they smash the glass and spraypaint the wood.

What is wrong with this city?
Nothing's wrong with the city. Just the people in the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > 2010 Olympic Winter Games [Archive]