HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I remember this one time during my freshman year at CU, at the point where planners & architects were still in combined classes, one of the architecture professors giving us a slideshow showed us this picture of a path along the side of hedge. The path did a little curvy jog away from the hedge briefly, then went back to the hedge's side. The prof just loved it. Told us what a great example it is. How the curve's unexpectedness artfully highlights the dichotomy of a concrete path over soft greenery. Just marvelous, he said.

The straight line along the side of the hedge, following the shortest distance, had an unpaved desire path straight through it.

And it was in that moment that I knew I'd made the correct decision to take the planning track instead of the architecture track.
You know sometimes the path is about the journey, not the destination. Intuitively from your story, it may be possible that you missed the professor's point. Maybe the message was that sometimes it's okay to have a minor detour rather then to simply get from point a to point b - and maybe not. Who knows and who really cares? I'm sure your presentation of the story is skewed by your opinion - and as a freshman, no less. But, when I walk in a garden, I expect the path to wander and I enjoy that, even while others may, for some strange reason, not. When I am commuting, I just want to get to my destination with minimal disruption - straight line Can you imagine going for a hike in the mountains and saying I'm going to the top of that mountain and I'm going in a straight line? What a waste of time.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimluk View Post
So I was reading through the above thread and decided it would make a good lunchtime design exercise. As always you learn a lot by putting pencil to paper(mouseclicks to aerial photography). I am certainly no landscape architect and my quick sketch solution isn't very refined, it did however get the wheels turning so to speak.

Observations:
+The current path pushes pedestrians north past the storefronts on the plaza, where a more direct path from bridge to bridge would align with the southern less desirable shaded sidewalk. This would also force another road crossing for the majority of users.
+Pushing people north creates a large flat open field for frisby, yoga, other yuppster activities, a more direct path would bisect this space and perhaps limit its ability to host more active uses. For the record, I think this is exactly wherethose types of activities were designed to go and exactly where you want those activities to occur.

Design Challenges:
+What becomes of the current path if a more direct one is added.
+Can active uses be accommodated elsewhere if the field is bisected.
+How does one balance shelter and safety, ex: by moving the path away from the hill one might want to create a sense of enclosure by planting trees/bosque etc however trees might make the area feel less safe(more rape-y)
+Does one continue hardscape for the entire width off the plaza, frankly that is just a ton of pavers/crushed gravel/whatever. A formally ordered landscape might conflict with the organic/natural feel oif the rest of the park. Anything less might just feel cheap and arbitrary.
+How is the space programmed, by who. For example the plaza often feels underutilized except when there are events(fashion show) etc. Even more so now that the water feature was removed.

Finally if all if the above is met with success your path will still run directly into the wall at the base of the bridge stairs, damn detour again.

I do think that a direct path is the way to go but it didn't take long working on the problem to see some oif the reasons that it ended up that way. Also in defense of the original designers, I would add that although my memory of the timeline is can bit fuzzy I think the bridges came after the park. Also, highland was not nearly the same place it is today.

Anyways, kinda fun, although I have now probably spent more time typing this up than I spent drawing at lunch. I wonder if anyone would sponsor a design competition, East West, Riverfront Park, PlatteForum, UC Denver SAP, etc as a way to create dialog and spur future change?

Wait, is this the transportation thread, sorry Cirrus
So well said and thank you for clarifying that. Sometimes we focus so hard on a small thing that we miss the big picture.

Usually, after the fact, we see things that seem stupid when in reality we don't know what caused the issue to begin with. If the wandering path in the park was a circle and someone came a long later and laid a straight path into it, we blame the original path rather than the one that came later that obviously was placed incorrectly. Perhaps, the bridges should have been placed so as to intersect the side of the circle. Maybe P&R just didn't have the extra money to redesign the park layout, Maybe, they were just waiting for the causal path to appear and then pave over it. Who knows, but we are all quick to blame whatever pet peeve group we have to blame.

I personally blame the engineers who placed the bridge wrong, or the lawyers who probably sued someone, somewhere, somehow, that magically made it impossible for P&R to redesign the path, or place the bridge in the right place

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I actually stay on the sidewalk myself. Nobody is saying he's wrong, I think we all agree with him. We just generally have no patience for folks -architects in particular - who go out of their way to try to sound smart and deep and sophisticated. It's part of the reason why the entire profession of architecture has become a bit of a joke - they try too hard. Even when being simple and pragmatic is in vogue, like it is these days, architect-types have to find the least pragmatic way to be pragmatic.
Bunt, I feel your pain..., even though I didn't follow your logic in how you got to this conclusion from the previous conversation. Perhaps, still dragging some baggage there.

I also don't always understand the high talk that some architects use - even though I should. I also don't understand artists, or lawyers, or my financial advisor - even though I should. That's why I hire people to help me with the things I don't understand. The point being, I think that the problem you describe is not unique to architects - especially the star ones who get all the glamorous commissions while the rest of us bear bunt's wrath. Whether architects, lawyers, artists, doctors, or anyone that is involved in a like minded group that has their own way of thinking and talking, it is often difficult for others outside of their world to relate or understand their processes.

Unfortunately, architects are often very poor at expressing themselves to anyone other than architects. Unlike lawyer's who have to distill their logic for layman (i.e. juries) to understand, architects, don't really don't do that and that's a shame. I heard a story about an artist that said he doesn't explain the meaning of his art. People either get it or they don't. I kind of wish we had that luxury.

While you won't believe me, I and most architect's I know take great pride in finding the most pragmatic solutions to a clients design request. We also try to be creative and design buildings that are not ugly. But, sometimes the most pragmatic solution can not be achieved because of external factors that we have no control over.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 4:53 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM View Post
Bunt, I feel your pain..., even though I didn't follow your logic in how you got to this conclusion from the previous conversation. Perhaps, still dragging some baggage there.

I also don't always understand the high talk that some architects use - even though I should. I also don't understand artists, or lawyers, or my financial advisor - even though I should. That's why I hire people to help me with the things I don't understand. The point being, I think that the problem you describe is not unique to architects - especially the star ones who get all the glamorous commissions while the rest of us bear bunt's wrath. Whether architects, lawyers, artists, doctors, or anyone that is involved in a like minded group that has their own way of thinking and talking, it is often difficult for others outside of their world to relate or understand their processes.

Unfortunately, architects are often very poor at expressing themselves to anyone other than architects. Unlike lawyer's who have to distill their logic for layman (i.e. juries) to understand, architects, don't really don't do that and that's a shame. I heard a story about an artist that said he doesn't explain the meaning of his art. People either get it or they don't. I kind of wish we had that luxury.

While you won't believe me, I and most architect's I know take great pride in finding the most pragmatic solutions to a clients design request. We also try to be creative and design buildings that are not ugly. But, sometimes the most pragmatic solution can not be achieved because of external factors that we have no control over.
A great explanation of part of "reality," sir.

Every profession has an academic reflection that must distort reality because professors (tend to) have tenure, and, are relatively immune from being responsible for intellectual actions. In city planning and architecture, professors can hone their intellectual positions without facing the requirements of having to make money off of these "ideas" (papers written do not have to make money, but receive accolades if the papers increase grants, endowments, student/faculty ratio, etc.).

Combine this with every profession having a distinct vocabulary, and, most architects and city planners use their vernacular to help limit the size of their group, raise the value of their knowledge, and, seek the role of being the intermediary between their knowledge base and those outside the group.

Having little job security changes this, of course. Those that have to work very hard with no tenure rapidly loose elitism and become more concerned with survival, which in turn, over time, becomes an ideology practiced by those who want to protect personal wealth.

The "bottom line", to me, is how well 'things' work. If 'things' do not work, then why don't they work?

Take walk paths that people use: the best way to put in concrete pathways is to put them on the paths made by pedestrians. Plant a field with grass and watch the field for a year or two and see where people walk, then put the walkways there (and make them comfortable to walk on!)

This type of practicality is far more prevalent in those hired by private business, with the major caveat that "what works" is what keeps one employed, making the most money, and, not necessarily the best solution for public need or aesthetics.

An educated public theoretically can have the political will to steer wealth towards profit making opportunities that also help the public at large, through tax policy, regulation, and, statute.

In my experience, most small business people are rather 'socially responsible", while most in the upper management of large corporations, and, most of the very wealthy are not.

Ideally, the academic world, in addition to providing work related education, can help balance profit making opportunity with social responsibility as tenure can provide the freedom to speak without financial accountability. The reality? Most tenured professors gave up creative thought when they received tenure, and, and are more interested in internal politics than the risky world outside their institution.

While the worker bees deal with the real world.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Last edited by Wizened Variations; Apr 26, 2014 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 9:36 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I actually don't disagree with you, Wizened.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 9:44 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM View Post
You know sometimes the path is about the journey, not the destination...
Sometimes. But it's the professionals' job to tell the difference, and desire lines running through grass are one of things that help us know. Had my architecture professor not completely ignored the obvious visible proof that the space wasn't working as designed, perhaps my response would've been different. Alas, we got nary a peep about that foot-worn path through the grass. We got a designer happy to force a journey and not even have a discussion about the fact that at this location the public clearly wants a destination.

And that's what's not OK.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimluk View Post
Wait, is this the transportation thread, sorry Cirrus
Walking counts as transportation.

We can talk about Ryan's dating life too. It's sort of transportation. It involves cars & streets, anyway:

YJnews

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 9:58 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I think that girl's legs are 5'4". Unless that's Ryan in a clever disguise? Height is right...

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 3:35 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

I think it's pretty simple. No changes to the park are needed other than laying down a 5-foot wide crusher-fine path where the dirt path is now. It won't interrupt the larger field for play as it's not concrete.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 5:03 AM

Well, and remove the sign. But I agree, it doesn't have to be concrete.

And in CU's defense, while I was there the university clearly had a program laying down stone paths along desire lines through quads. A few more official paths replaced worn ones every year.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
I think it's pretty simple. No changes to the park are needed other than laying down a 5-foot wide crusher-fine path where the dirt path is now. It won't interrupt the larger field for play as it's not concrete.
That's a fine solution. I walk the path (the concrete one) almost daily and most people take the concrete, circuitous route.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2014, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Sometimes. But it's the professionals' job to tell the difference, and desire lines running through grass are one of things that help us know. Had my architecture professor not completely ignored the obvious visible proof that the space wasn't working as designed, perhaps my response would've been different. Alas, we got nary a peep about that foot-worn path through the grass. We got a designer happy to force a journey and not even have a discussion about the fact that at this location the public clearly wants a destination.

And that's what's not OK.
I agree that the professional should make a difference. My point, which I did not explain well, was not that that particular path in the photo was a correct or acceptable solution, seemingly it wasn't. But for all I know the professor was not saying that that path was the right solution for that particular situation but that was a playful and attractive solution that could have been right in another place.

As a freshman, usually the stuff you study and see is very loose and non-specific. They are trying to let you open your mind and see what is going on before you start to lock it all back down. That is probably why the attrition rate for architecture school is so high for 1st year students - that and the obscene work load which is pretty tough if you're not interested in the subject matter.

In addiiton, just because one professor says one thing in one circumstance to one freshman, does not mean that you have to accept it, or that any other professor would agree with it or that an entire profession is lost because of it. I certainly disagreed with many of my professors. And, in some cases rightfully so.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I actually don't disagree with you, Wizened.
Thanks. We are respectful opponents, but, fundamentally we are on the same page. (This is not to be quoted, and is strictly unofficial.)

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
Thanks. We are respectful opponents, but, fundamentally we are on the same page. (This is not to be quoted, and is strictly unofficial.)
Ha! Good one..

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 7:34 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post

Noted.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 5:03 PM

Not sure when this happened, but it looks like Boulder added some vertical protection, thus converting its existing Baseline Road bike lanes into cycletracks.

photo from City of Boulder on flickr

photo from City of Boulder on flickr

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 5:16 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Crude yet effective. I like it.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I should know this, and will be able to see for myself soon, but is there a direct connection down into the bus terminal from inside Union Station? Or are the only access points the Chestnut and Wewatta pavilions? Hopefully it's the former and not the later.
I was just down there trying to figure this out but couldn't tell if there were stairs underground inside or outside the Union Station building. Inside would be the most logical so you could come out and walk down 17th into Lodo.

The Grand Opening celebration is next Friday, May 9. There is a street party planned for 17th between Chestnut & Wewatta. I don't think this includes Union Station which won't open until July.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
I was just down there trying to figure this out but couldn't tell if there were stairs underground inside or outside the Union Station building. Inside would be the most logical so you could come out and walk down 17th into Lodo.

The Grand Opening celebration is next Friday, May 9. There is a street party planned for 17th between Chestnut & Wewatta. I don't think this includes Union Station which won't open until July.
You have to exit the historic station to go inside the bus terminal. There will be stairs and an elevator and an escalator right outside the doors in the back as soon as you exit.

The reason is that the bus station is a loop. The bus terminal is not actually directly under the historic station.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 6:44 PM
Denver

Quote:
Not sure when this happened, but it looks like Boulder added some vertical protection, thus converting its existing Baseline Road bike lanes into cycletracks.
That has been there for at least a year. It works pretty well.

The sidewalk is still way better if there arent any pedestrians, however

Last edited by Cirrus; May 1, 2014 at 7:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West