HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 15, 2011, 9:55 PM

From HAIF:

Two HISD campuses in the 4th Ward: Carnegie Vanguard High School and Gregory Lincoln School

This will be built on what is a former vacant lot. I believe this is great news for this area but it will certainly change some of the dynamic of the area.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 4:16 AM

For anyone who likes to use their imagination, now's a good time to venture up Main Street past UH Downtown, up near the freight rail grade separation. It appears as though the foundation to the light rail fly-overs are being constructed. Burnett Station (the intermodal transit hub) will be located here and will be a significant component of the LRT network in Houston:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/_u...dor_090209.pdf

I've seen renderings of the rail, but have yet to find any online.

http://www.eekarchitects.com/portfol...modal-facility

I can't say for sure what's being done at this time, so maybe someone more familiar with the progress can chime in.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 9:27 AM
Everywhere all at once

The Houston Northern Intermodal Facility is GENIUS. Love the design, love the concept, and I had no idea that such a plan was even in the works! Way to be the up-and-coming number-four city after NY, LA and Chicago!

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 9:37 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
I like this redevelopment of an old building, more residential coming to downtown. Awesome.

Texaco Building conversion to residential apartments downtown:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/p...1111-rusk.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/p...eans-more.html
Its about flippin time, those buildings have been abandoned since the 70s about. They are beautiful and will make amazing apartments or condos, I just hope this really happens. And what is with that glass building? Thats just a parking lot now, are they also building a new highrise along with restoring the historic buildings or is that just wishful thinking?

Oh, and Im back in town folks, out of hell hole Arkansas finally for good I hope!!!!!

Last edited by photoLith; May 16, 2011 at 9:52 AM.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
The Houston Northern Intermodal Facility is GENIUS. Love the design, love the concept, and I had no idea that such a plan was even in the works! Way to be the up-and-coming number-four city after NY, LA and Chicago!
Hate to break it to you, but its not happening. Anytime soon, at least.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 10:16 PM
Ex Houstonian

Well thats just freakin great but expected, this is Houston after all and we hate public transportation.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 10:31 PM

Yeah, this project has long since been cancelled.

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 11:38 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photolitherland View Post
Well thats just freakin great but expected, this is Houston after all and we hate public transportation.
Honestly, I read that article a few months ago and came away with blaming Metro's bad leadership and irresponsibility than Houston's disdain for public transportation. That's me though.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 12:56 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:

Oh, and Im back in town folks, out of hell hole Arkansas finally for good I hope!!!!!
Too bad I never had a chance to meet up with you, dude... Now that I'm in Pittsburgh, I guess it will just have to wait until I'm back in Houston for some sort of training class, which will likely be sooner than later!

Anyhow, great news on the conversion of that old tower into apartments!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 3:46 AM
Voice of the Modern World

Quote:
Thats just a parking lot now, are they also building a new highrise along with restoring the historic buildings or is that just wishful thinking?
It's their Phase II, they will construct a new residential tower for 120 units, with parking on the first several floors and the apartment units above it, sort of Chicago style like that.

But Phase II is still a good 2 years away at least from happening because of the long redevelopment work on Phase I for the next year.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...s/7530965.html

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 5:23 AM

The Intermodal may be on hold, but I do believe the LRT expansion is on its way with Burnett Station and an elevated Main Street Bypass.

http://houstontx.city.swagit.com/Council_Commissions/

Click on "Video" for April 28, then click on the Play button for Item III. Scroll to the 7 minute mark for the reclassification proposal for Burnett Street.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 2:04 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Too bad I never had a chance to meet up with you, dude... Now that I'm in Pittsburgh, I guess it will just have to wait until I'm back in Houston for some sort of training class, which will likely be sooner than later!

Anyhow, great news on the conversion of that old tower into apartments!

Aaron (Glowrock)
I will most likely get a job here in Houston and work out on the oil rigs. But, as I understand it, you can work on the rigs and pretty much live anywhere. If thats the case, I would love to live in New Orleans. But if not, Ill chose the Houston Heights or around that area to live. If you do come back send me a message or something and well go shoot downtown or wherever.

Old Posted May 17, 2011, 3:26 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
I will most likely get a job here in Houston and work out on the oil rigs. But, as I understand it, you can work on the rigs and pretty much live anywhere. If thats the case, I would love to live in New Orleans. But if not, Ill chose the Houston Heights or around that area to live. If you do come back send me a message or something and well go shoot downtown or wherever.
I take it you're looking for work as a mudlogger, at least for now? If not, there's no reason why you couldn't actually work as an analyst of some sort in an office, unless you just WANT to work in the great outdoors!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:40 PM

Buffalo Lakes Mixed Use:

Project Information: http://www.kirksey.com/project/buffa...es_master_plan

Page 10 of METRO's Powerpoint Slide: http://www.ridemetro.org/ProjectsPro...ing_020711.pdf

Old Posted May 18, 2011, 5:54 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

So there will light rail along Bellfort down to 90 and out to Missouri City by 2018 or so? Cool. Buffalo Lakes looks like its under construction based on the most recent Google Earth imagery from March 2011. They will have a wait a little while, probably hoping Metro follows through otherwise they'd be a TOD without the T.

I used to have family members living around that area when I was younger and my mom went to Westbury HS. I'm sure a transit line that way would do well, lots of people living in apartment complexes in that area who would benefit from transit, as they do now with routes on Fondren and Airport having the big articulated buses filled with passengers already

Last edited by llamaorama; May 18, 2011 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 2:47 AM

Wow this is very ambitious. I want to say pipe dream but this could turn out to be a very good location, especially if the rail comes to fruition.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 3:27 AM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
I take it you're looking for work as a mudlogger, at least for now? If not, there's no reason why you couldn't actually work as an analyst of some sort in an office, unless you just WANT to work in the great outdoors!

Aaron (Glowrock)
I would like to work as a mudlogger, mainly because I would go crazy in an office and I get almost half the year off to do whatever I want when Im a mudlogger.

Oh, and I was downtown today and in the Woodlands yesterday, Ill post some update pics tomorrow.

Old Posted May 19, 2011, 11:27 AM

Lots of news for today. In order from most boring project to most fun.

Sims Bayou Project- 4 Bridges: (Starting up)

Quote:
HARRIS COUNTY FLOOD CONTROL DISTRICT PREPARES FOR LAST PHASE OF SIMS BAYOU PROJECT
"Motorists are Advised of Upcoming Bridge Closures and Traffic Detours Associated with Bridge Construction in Southwest Houston"

HOUSTON - The Harris County Flood Control District will begin construction on the first of the final four roadway bridges associated with the $379 million Sims Bayou Federal Flood Damage Reduction Project at the first of next month. The four roadway bridges cross Sims Bayou at Heatherbrook Drive, Croquet Street, South Post Oak Road and Hiram Clarke Road in southwest Houston. The bridges will be reconstructed in that order.

The project also consists of the modification/replacement of 20 roadway bridges, of which 16 are complete. Construction of the remaining four bridges marks the final phase of the project, which launched in 1990 and is scheduled for completion in late 2012. From the onset of this project, the Flood Control District, as the local sponsor, has been responsible for property acquisition, utility relocation and the modification/replacement of the bridges that cross Sims Bayou.

http://www.hcfcd.org/simsbridges/
Whole Foods in Katy: (Starting up)

Quote:
Whole Foods is in negotiations to put a 30,000 square-foot store at the corner of Grand Parkway and Fry Road, sources say.

The store would be across from a large H-E-B but the sources say the deal makes sense because of the area’s large population of high-income households.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...nsion-rumored/
Menninger Clinic: (Under Construction) http://www.kirksey.com/project/menninger_clinic

Quote:
Menninger, which relocated from Kansas to Houston in 2003, officially broke ground on the new complex near the Medical Center in November. But it waited until March 10 to hold a formal groundbreaking ceremony because the clinic’s directors are in town for the board’s annual meeting.

When Menninger announced the project in 2007, it planned to spend more than $100 million to build a 144-bed, 209,500-square-foot complex. But the global recession hampered the institution’s fundraising efforts. The clinic scaled back its plans to a $65 million, 120-bed, 161,000-square-foot complex that will be called The Menninger Mental Health Epicenter.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/p...aled-down.html
River Oaks District: (Back on development plans)

Quote:
In Houston, OliverMcMillan is also restarting its River Oaks District project. The project is anticipated to have approximately 250,000 square feet of new retail space, 50 luxury apartments developed in one phase. The $350 million project is expected to begin opening in spring 2014.

“We were well into the planning process before the downturn and had 700 apartments existing at the site that carried the project during the downturn,” says Oliver.

The apartment project had cash flow, enabling OliverMcMillan to sit on the rest of the development.

http://www.shoppingcenterbusiness.co...1/story1.shtml
For a video and presentation of what River Oaks District is supposed to look like and entail: http://www.olivermcmillan.com/riveroaks
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
Wow this is very ambitious. I want to say pipe dream but this could turn out to be a very good location, especially if the rail comes to fruition.
Haha well pipe dreams don't start on construction, this has already started on its construction. According to Google Maps and to METRO who is trying to build in or around this development.

It's not the most visually impressive project but infill is infill. My only concern is that they plant some tree lined areas in this project.

Old Posted May 20, 2011, 10:00 PM
Ex Houstonian

Heres some newly completed projects and the new park/underground entrance to the Municipal Towers over by the county courthouse.

This is actually that older tower down in TMC that they are tearing down. What a shame.

Damn, this is one sexy building!

The still being restored county courthouse. It sure is taking them forever.

This is the base of The Texaco Building, the one they are turning into condos or whatever. I looked in the windows and a lady was sitting at a desk way back in the corner of the giant abandoned lobby. Looked like a plumbing van was in the back or something.

That new park going in at the Municipal Courts.

The building on the bottom left in The Medical Center isnt new, it was finished a couple years ago but I never saw anyone take any photos of it after completion.

And some new stuff in The Woodlands.

Old Posted May 21, 2011, 4:37 PM

Sweet. Thanks for the pics

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations