Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 1:00 AM
New Yorker for life

Smile NEW YORK | 15 Penn Plaza (Hotel Penn) | 1,200 FT / 388 M | 61 FLOORS

Scoping documents have been released, as the approval process for this one is about to begin:

Public Scoping Meeting on the 15 Penn Plaza Project

A public scoping meeting will be held on Tuesday, January 27, 2009 at the New York City Department of City Planning’s Spector Hall,
22 Reade Street, New York, New York, 10007. The meeting will begin at 10 AM. Written comments will be accepted by the lead agency
until Wednesday, February 11, 2009.

Draft Scope
EAS

The developers (Vornado) are proposing two development scenarios - single or multi tenant.
The multi tenant tower would be the taller of the two, while the single tenant tower would be
slightly lower (1,119 ft). There is of course the "no build" option, where the developer would build a 580 ft tower.

From the documents:

The project is expected to take 4 years (2010-2014)

Both options would produce a supertall of over 1100 ft :

The gold version is the single tenant option:

The no build alternative:

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 1:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Looks to be close to this version:

curbed.com

observer.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:30 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Amazing that in this economy a project like this can still proceed!

Why don't they just add the lousy 2 feet to make it a clean 1,200 footer? In a few more years, the NYC skyline will be just littered with supertalls... in a good way, of course

I ❤️ NY

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 3:01 AM

I really really like this design. It's bulky but not overbearing. It just looks like a giant monolith. There's something about the proportions that I am just in love with!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 3:15 AM

What a monster.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 3:17 AM
Landmark Restored

Last edited by STERNyc; Dec 23, 2008 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 4:56 AM

I have noticed that there have been a lot of tall proposals closer and closer to the Empire State Building. Is it only a matter of time before Empire State is seen as one of many tall buildings in the area, the way Woolworth is in Lower Manhattan? I love the proposals that have come out, but I wonder if they will change the way we view Empire State. I can't help but worry that we may lose something when it comes to the way we perceive Empire State.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 6:09 AM

lol, BofA's spire will make the building officially taller than this 1198 ft block.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post
lol, BofA's spire will make the building officially taller than this 1198 ft block.
This one doesn't cheat as obviously, but it still has a 50 ft screen on top.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 12:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCzech View Post
Amazing that in this economy a project like this can still proceed!

Why don't they just add the lousy 2 feet to make it a clean 1,200 footer? In a few more years, the NYC skyline will be just littered with supertalls... in a good way, of course
Well, it won't proceed for another two years (2010), so the developers are just putting themselves in position to proceed when things can. As major transportation projects (such as Moynihan Station and the ARC project) come back into focus, this area of Manhattan will see a dramatic change. Unfortunately, sites are limited, so as much space as possible must be built on this lot if it is to replace the Hotel Pennsylvania. Even as proposed now, the larger version is much smaller than what was being planned when Merrill Lynch was the potential tenant.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 12:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
This one doesn't cheat as obviously, but it still has a 50 ft screen on top.
I'm sure there's other stuff behind the screen, but it doesn't matter.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskyline View Post
I have noticed that there have been a lot of tall proposals closer and closer to the Empire State Building. Is it only a matter of time before Empire State is seen as one of many tall buildings in the area, the way Woolworth is in Lower Manhattan? I love the proposals that have come out, but I wonder if they will change the way we view Empire State. I can't help but worry that we may lose something when it comes to the way we perceive Empire State.
The Empire State will still be the Empire State because of its history. All of the towers being planned for Manhattan's west side will be of similar height, but none will dominate in the way the Empire State did.

This is an example of how the ESB would compare with a built out west side (railyard proposal is not the current proposal, but of similar height). What's missing is the Hotel Penn tower and it's neighbor accross 7th Ave that will be in the 1100 - 1200 ft range...

I think we need a couple of spires in the mix.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Also of note, though the planning for the Moynihan Station project isn't complete yet, it does look like they are planning to move forward without relocation of MSG (not good) but the Penn East tower - said to be from 1100 to 1200 ft, and the Penn West tower are still in the making...

from the draft scope:

Quote:
Nearby known developments in the study area would include those portions of a Moynihan Project/Penn Station Redevelopment Project (“Moynihan Project”) that are currently expected to be completed by 2014. A version of the Moynihan Project was the subject of a public scoping meeting in December 2007 and planning efforts to define the proposed building program and actions are currently ongoing. While the full nature and scope of the Moynihan Project have not been determined at this time, it is conservatively estimated that the following development would have occurred by 2014:

 Redevelopment of the Farley Complex with approximately 235,000 gsf of office use, 125,000 gsf of hotel use, and approximately 553,000 gsf of destination retail space;

 Development of the Penn East site with approximately 1.9 million gsf of office use and approximately 71,000 gsf of destination retail space; and

 Development of the Penn West site with approximately 574,000 gsf of hotel use, approximately 37,000 gsf of retail space, and approximately 490 residential units.

Also of note are the transportation improvements (key to the 20 % building bonus) that we will get...

Quote:
Both scenarios would relocate and significantly upgrade the existing subway entrances on West 32nd and West 33rd Streets and would undertake significant mass transit improvements, including the re-opening and renovating of the passageway under the south side of 33rd Street (39)1 (see Figures 9a, 9b, and 9c).

The renovated passageway would be widened to accommodate pedestrian flows between Penn Station/the Seventh Avenue subway lines (1, 2, and 3) and the Sixth Avenue subway lines (B, D, F, N, Q, R, V, and W) and the Port Authority Trans Hudson (PATH) station, improving pedestrian circulation on the street-level sidewalks. The passageway would provide an alternative to pedestrians traveling along the 33rd Street corridor. In addition, both scenarios would improve several subway stairways and control areas serving the Seventh Avenue line, the Sixth Avenue line, the Broadway line, and PATH.

Specifically, these transit improvements would include:

 Widening the stair from the Seventh Avenue southbound local platform to the 32nd Street underpass (21);
 Building a new stairway to the center platform from the 32nd Street/Seventh Avenue underpass (25);
 Widening the Seventh Avenue northbound local platform between West 32nd and West 33rd Streets by six feet (26);
 Building new subway entrances at Seventh Avenue and West 32nd Street and Seventh Avenue and West 33rd Street, each of which would include a 10-foot-wide set of stairs through the proposed building (36 and 37);
 Constructing a new street elevator at the Seventh Avenue and West 33rd Street entrance (38);
 Widening the Sixth Avenue and West 32nd Street PATH entrance stairs by 10 feet, and adding one escalator (40);
 Constructing one escalator at the Sixth Avenue and West 33rd Street subway entrance (41);
 Constructing a 10-foot staircase from the PATH to the B, D, F, and V platform near West 32nd Street (44);
 Constructing a 15-foot staircase from the PATH to the B, D, F, and V platform near West 33rd Street (45); and
 Reconfigure fare control area to accommodate new stairs (44 and 45) from the PATH to B, D, F, and V platforms (51a).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 2:16 PM
Not far from Disneyland

I like the way this looks!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2008, 7:48 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

New York always amazes me.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 2:34 PM
New Yorker for life

I've decided that I'm good with either version of the tower being built. The single tenant tower rises from a sheer wall on 7th Avenue, while the multi-tenant version rises from the center of the base and relates more to the Empire State Building (although it could probably use a spire). My preference would have to depend on what design will be proposed for the Penn East site.

Height comparison to other Manhattan towers:

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 8:06 PM
YIMBY co-founder

:O

Nice little Yule-gift this the westside will see a huge change. I'm lovin' it.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 8:15 PM

The style is very pelli-esque.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 8:21 PM

I like it already.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2008, 8:30 PM
Hello

I like it also. Nice design. The ESB could use some company.

Reminds me of a spring flower (tulip) about to bloom.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals