HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

245 Rideau Tower [2] in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:38 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

315 Chapel St [All Saints Church] | 33m | 9fl | Proposed

All Saints Developments Inc. is proposing to redevelop and repurpose 315 Chapel Street to accommodate a mix of uses that retain the historical presence of the All Saints Anglican Church and that complement the surrounding character and community of Sandy Hill.

The proposal is to be based on the following mixed-use program:
• improved green space along Laurier Avenue E.;
• four levels of underground vehicle and bicycle parking accessed from Blackburn Avenue;
• ground floor instructional facility (yoga/dance studio) or museum, two ground floor retail tenants, casual fine-dining restaurant (shown in P1 and Ground Floor on the concept plans since it functions as a half-basement within the existing church), event hall (existing church), and multilevel café and gallery;
• civil society offices and community space on floors two to four; and,
• residential or hotel units on floors five to nine.

The proposal has two main components; the first being the repurposing of the church, and the second being the eventual redevelopment of the east portion of the site. The first component proposes the conserved church be repurposed to accommodate a casual fine-dining restaurant on the ground floor (functions as a half basement) and an event hall on the second floor (functions as a ground floor due to the half-basement).

The second component relates to the development of a 9-storey building to accommodate a mix of uses that include, below-grade parking, two retail tenants, multi-level café and gallery, an atrium space for café seating, an instructional facility (yoga/dance studio) or museum, office space, community space, and 58 residential dwelling units or hotel units. The eventual construction of the new building will be located to the east of the church, and will replace Bate Hall, which previously served as an assembly hall.

Development application:
http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__AK0ALE

Streetview:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.42755...7i13312!8i6656

Site:

Renderings:

Cross-section:

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:41 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Wow, quite a few similarities to the St. Charles Church redevelopment on Beechwood. In a good way.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:47 AM
Living With My Mother

I've been in that chuch's basement before. I like the idea being proposed. Not sure about the building, though.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 10:51 AM

I am not sure what the advantage is to connect to the church. It seems more like a stand alone type building to me.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:12 PM

I'm sure the Sandy Hill Community Association are sharpening their pitchforks to very fine points. Not for any logical reason, the development looks great. They do it for the thrill.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:44 PM

This seems like a very reasonable proposal. Well-proportioned and mindful of its surroundings.

Two thumbs up.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I'm sure the Sandy Hill Community Association are sharpening their pitchforks to very fine points. Not for any logical reason, the development looks great. They do it for the thrill.
Surprisingly no. Although the height of it and its proximity to their beloved Avenue of Prime Ministers would make you think so. Have a look at the attendance at events there and the gushing praise of the existing facility by members of ASH.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 1:50 PM

I know tis the way of the world, but some of these old church halls and manses, we are going to miss as they make way for inevitable re-purposing and redevelopment.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I know tis the way of the world, but some of these old church halls and manses, we are going to miss as they make way for inevitable re-purposing and redevelopment.
Agreed. That and the re-purposing of old one room schoolhouses.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 2:05 AM

inclined to agree.

I hope the casual fine dinning pan's out as there is a need for something other than fast or late night food for students.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcologist View Post
This seems like a very reasonable proposal. Well-proportioned and mindful of its surroundings.

Two thumbs up.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:44 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

All Saints redevelopment in Sandy Hill gets green light from committee

By: David Sali, OBJ
Published: Feb 27, 2018 3:51pm EST

A multimillion-dollar proposal to build a nine-storey mixed-use development next to the former All Saints Anglican Church in Sandy Hill is a big step closer to reality after the city’s planning committee gave the project the go-ahead on Tuesday.

Full council still must approve the plan, which calls for the church building at 315 Chapel St. to be maintained as a public meeting place and a new mid-rise residential complex or hotel to be built next door on the current site of the Bate Hall assembly space, which would be demolished. Unlike All Saints, which held its last service in 2014, Bate Hall does not have heritage designation.

According to a development proposal filed with the city, the historic former house of worship – which was completed in 1900 and hosted a royal wedding and the state funeral of former prime minister Sir Robert Borden – would be converted into a restaurant on the main floor and an event hall on the second floor.

The new nine-storey structure on the former site of Bate Hall would be used for commercial purposes such as retail, office or restaurant space on the lower floors and would feature either about 60 residential units on the top five floors or a hotel with 80 to 100 suites. The complex would include 90 underground parking spaces on four levels with an entrance on Blackburn Avenue.

The current community plan caps building heights in the neighbourhood at four storeys, requiring rezoning approval for the project.

“Re-purposing the church will help to preserve its established significance as a heritage building,” the application filed with the city said. “Together, the re-purposing and development of the new building will respect and enhance the existing and desired character throughout Sandy Hill.”

Rideau-Vanier Coun. Mathieu Fleury, who represents the ward, voiced his support for the proposal in a staff report to the committee.

“This application has taken an innovative approach to preserving and energizing an important heritage asset in our community,” he said.

“Pursuing smart growth in older established neighbourhoods is essential, and we welcome projects that are developed with those community goals in mind.”

A group of local residents backed by investors from Ottawa and Alberta purchased the property in 2015 for $1.5 million with the goal of turning the former church and the adjoining land into a community hub.

The group, called Save our Saints, held a pair of public meetings in late 2016 and early 2017 to gauge public support before the development application was submitted and hosted an open house in early January where it presented its plans.

“Our vision is to create a vibrant urban space that will serve residents and tourists alike,” Save our Saints leader Leanne Moussa told the media in 2015.

According to the city staff report submitted to the planning committee, about 80 residents submitted comments on the proposal, with about half supporting it and half opposed. The most common concerns were fears of increased traffic, the height of the proposed new nine-storey tower, its design and the lack of specific details on the residential component of the complex.

http://www.obj.ca/article/all-saints...ight-committee

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 5:48 PM

Is it unusual that a proposed project would get to this stage without clarity on whether it will be a hotel or an apartment building?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 6:23 PM

ZOMG NINE STOREYS!?!!?!?

This is like Sandy Hill's 9/11, no?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 8:49 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
ZOMG NINE STOREYS!?!!?!?

This is like Sandy Hill's 9/11, no?
The site is practically surrounded by taller buildings.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Is it unusual that a proposed project would get to this stage without clarity on whether it will be a hotel or an apartment building?
Agreed. I have never ever seen Action Sandy Hill be so supportive of a project that needed an Official Plan Amendment and a Zoning Amendment and with so many loose ends still left out there. They have opposed almost all height increases and I'm surprised that they didn't find that the great aunt of a shadow cabinet minister once worshipped at this church for a six month period in 1902 and therefore it should be preserved forever.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The site is practically surrounded by taller buildings.
Yes, that is the joke.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 5:26 PM

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 8:03 PM

Too bad.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday23 View Post
That withdrawl was from 2018.

I have never seen an application in Sandy Hill get such gushing support from the local community association. It seemed very fishy especially as many of the end uses were still up in the air. Usually the local people and Community Association want a property owner to commit right down to the colour of the shutters before they will agree to not object.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2023, 12:11 AM

All Saints Church [10 Ave Blackburn] | 9f | Proposed i

Windmill to build nine-storey condo at former All Saints church site

David Sali, OBJ
June 19, 2023

Ottawa's Windmill Development Group plans to build a nine-storey condo next to the former All Saints Anglican Church in Sandy Hill.

Windmill Development Group says it’s working on a proposal that would see a nine-storey condominium with about 100 units constructed next to the 123-year-old church on Chapel Street.

https://obj.ca/windmill-to-build-nine-storey-condo/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa