HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 4:15 AM

the awnings at the entrances are said to be replicas of the original grand entrance awnings so they aren't going to be more obtrusive

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 4:42 AM

Nothing funky or undulating, but rather classy and traditional with a modern freshness. What is shown in the render is quite appropriate. Tonight while walking by I was wondering if some of the terracotta removal was for new signage.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:16 AM

It could also be that the later addition to the building - the north wing - will get a different awning treatment (i.e. continuous) since it doesn't have a "traditional" entrance like the older sections do. The only entrance in that wing is at the corner near Gothams, but that entrance has been closed for a few years.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodnorth View Post
New owners save Book Warehouse from extinction

Flagship Broadway location will retain name, stay open

Read more: http://www.vancourier.com/business/o...949/story.html
Thanks for posting this Great News!

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 5:12 PM

Saks Fifth Avenue coming to Vancouver?

I noticed this blog post mentioning that Saks could move into Pacific Centre?

http://www.retail-insider.com/2012/0...-canadian.html

"A Toronto-based commercial real estate broker has confirmed that his/her company has been retained to investigate, locate and negotiate with Canadian landlords, including Sears Canada, for one or more potential Saks Fifth Avenue stores. Saks is also said to be 'feeling out' the market, recognizing the strength of homegrown Holt Renfrew and the possible entry of Nordstrom and Bloomingdale's (via The Hudson's Bay Company) into the Canadian retail market.

Saks Fifth Avenue is searching for 'ideal' sized retail footprints, generally between 110,000 and 180,000 square feet. Nordstrom has been trying to locate similarly large stores between 135,000 and 220,000 square feet.

This broker notes that Saks would ideally like locations in Toronto (Eaton Centre and/or Bloor Street and Yorkdale Shopping Centre), Chinook Centre in Calgary, and Pacific Centre in Vancouver, BC. We had initially reported that Nordstrom had been in negotiation for these Sears locations. Saks' interest could mean the delay or elimination of Nordstrom's efforts to move into Canada."

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:10 PM

Nordstrom would be better than Saks, I feel like I can't even walk into Saks

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 8:23 PM

Saks would be great, but I would not trust that blog as they don't have many credible sources and often just take info from this thread... so pretty much they are no better than Vancity Buzz, who drive me insane with the amount they take from the ssp thread and don't source.

Last edited by Van23H; May 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 9:19 PM

Saks has been closing stores, hasn't it?
It closed its downtown Portland store a year or two ago.

Portland just has a "Saks Off 5th" store at Bridgeport Village (which is a great place to buy suits if you are down that way and they have a 40% off sale (and no sales tax)). I wouldn't mind seeing an Off 5th store - but those aren't generally downtown stores I don't think.
(Although Nordstrom moved its Rack store to Westlake Centre a few months ago - across the street from the main Seattle store)

Old Posted May 28, 2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenegade View Post
Not sure if it has been mentioned here yet (I tried searching but didn't find any results), but West Elm (sister store of Williams-Sonoma & Pottery Barn) will be opening in the old Shoppers Drug Mart space on South Granville in September. I just happened to at the Belltown location in Seattle yesterday and was speaking with one of the guys there who is moving up to Vancouver to open the store.
Hmm I still think it's a little bit small for a West Elm-but I'm happy to hear! I drive past every day and noticed a couple of weeks ago that the storefront had been painted "West Elm grey"-so I had a hunch!

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 12:14 AM

The large retail space on Hornby @ Nelson (888 Nelson) is going to be a Royal Bank-the branch now on the NE corner of Nelson & Howe is moving.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

Honestly, we use to have 4 or 5 Japanese book stores in Metro-Van, now we are going to have none! Why do we seem to be losing diversity / flavour in our retail market all the time?
Three words: decreasing disposable income.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 6:00 AM

It's not like English-language book stores are thriving these days. I think it has more to do with the fact that the business involves books rather than the fact that the business is Japanese.

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
I went to Uniqlo for the first time last week and it really is a great shop. It just opened recently here in Tangshan, China. Kind of a bummer that some random Chinese city gets one before Vancouver. Hopefully they start expanding more in North America soon.

I must say, its really insane how many malls there are being built here. There's like a chain of mall/residential/office? complexes called Wanda Plaza and they're being built all over China. And each of the malls is at least as big as metrotown.
Good article here about China's Addiction To Construction.

"The shopping malls are being built, but there are no shops or customers in them. Large stadiums are being built, but there are no teams to play sports in them. Highways are being built, but they lead to nowhere and have no traffic on them. Apartment blocks are being built, but they have near zero demand. Hospitals are being built with no doctors and nurses in them. Schools are being built with no students or teachers in them. China is building things just for the sake of it."

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 7:24 PM

Pic by me today:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old Posted May 29, 2012, 11:53 PM

Yay! Finally!

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 12:31 AM

A Splendid, from California, is opening in PC beside Hollister and an Ever New, from Australia, is opening beside La Senza.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:56 AM

is it forever new?

http://www.forevernew.com.au/

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
I was wondering that too - the parts removed on Seymour do look like they are for cable stays - but the rendering for the TopShop/TopMan awnings don't show cable stays.

Also, on the Georgia side, the part of the pilaster being removed is the medallion at the top - which isn't suitable for a cable stay if there are separate awnings for each display window since they'd be angled (it would only work if there was a continuous awning). The parts removed on the Seymour side are different places, though.

Unless the awning design is different on different sides...

The odd thing is - why install an awning that is more intrusive to the original facade? Why not install a funky glass awning (i.e. undulating) using the existing, massive I-beams?

Also I recall reading that The Bay retained a professional terra cotta restoration firm for the work done before the olympics - so hopefully this reno will be consistent with that.
I think the Render shows a great design.... I definitely pulls a throw back to the original design period and also merges in a newer look.

I think a full glass set up would really feel out of place... and is so a-typical of Vancouver.

Also I'm over joyed that these awnings don't fully block the elements so it will be less convenient for bums to sleep/shit next to the building as they please.

The Seymour side is completely rid of the awnings and its amazing how different that who side looks.

Very excited for the expanded windows!

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:08 PM
HA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built Form View Post
Opening in June.

pic by Built Form
AWESOME!!! My favourite men's clothing store. When they have massive discounts, their stock is a huge bang for the buck and their style fits my body physique and my age pretty well (mid 20's to mid-30's). I check it out quite often these days whenever I'm at the Mall of America.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
I think the Render shows a great design.... I definitely pulls a throw back to the original design period and also merges in a newer look.

I think a full glass set up would really feel out of place... and is so a-typical of Vancouver.

Also I'm over joyed that these awnings don't fully block the elements so it will be less convenient for bums to sleep/shit next to the building as they please.

The Seymour side is completely rid of the awnings and its amazing how different that who side looks.

Very excited for the expanded windows!
there will be glass awnings running the length of the store replacing the metal awnings though...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Business & the Economy