HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 8:38 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I guess according to you guy's logic, cars should also not have mirrors or turn signals?

Also has nobody else ever had two giant trucks or SUV's park on either side of their dinky sedan or compact in a narrow space and had to back out blindly?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trantor
maybe, but it never got rid of the idiots here.

althought the problem here doesnt seem to be idiocy, but dangerous roads, too much trucks and reckless drivers.

two lane roads (one in each direction) plus plenty of trucks (since we hardly have any railroads) plus reckless drivers = fatal frontal crashes.
If all roads were one way streets, you'd still have to face the problem of drivers going the wrong direction. I'd take it a step further. All roads should be one way streets, and they all should travel east to west with clearly marked arrows. Travel in any other direction should be illegal. If you wanted to go east, you'd have to travel westwardly all the way around the world until you came back around... but your chance of getting into a head on collision would be diminished significantly.
The problem is passing on a two-lane road, especially one with a lot of trucks. Its the over-confident road warriors and truckers who cause the wrecks. They are the ones going 90 in a 55 and think they can pass the semi up ahead, and have done it so many times that they push their luck. Also just because you can get away with speeding on freeways, you can't do it on rural roads where the curves are tight and a deer or a grandma pulling out of the farmhouse drive could get in front of you at the last moment.

The "make roads more dangerous to make them safe" is a workable idea for urban streets to force driver awareness of peds and bikes, or freeways to reduce speeding. I don't buy for a moment that 2-lane rural highways are somehow safer because they are narrow and full of blind corners and hills.

Where I live there are fatal accidents in the news all the time and they are almost always out in the country. Very rarely will there ever be a fatal car crash in town and I can't remember the last one to happen on the freeway its been years now.

Last edited by llamaorama; Mar 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:39 PM
BANNED

This kind of shit pisses me off. Not only is this a relatively tiny safety issue for automobiles (while dozens of other, much more dangerous, problems go unmentioned), but this nanny bullshit just makes things more dangerous. When you have a camera in your bumper you don't think twice about backing up. I can't tell you the number of times I've had a half retarded soccer mom with a backup camera in her Lexus SUV almost ram right into me because her dumb ass didn't bother looking both ways behind her in the parking lot before backing up.

When you grow accustomed to "feeling safe" then you don't act safe. This is akin to moral hazard. When you expect precautions to be taken for you, you don't take them yourself.

It's not like this is ABS or air bags where they have a demonstrated improvement in safety for the passengers/operators of a vehicle. This is something that is attempting to address the issue of poor driving habits. Hint: no matter how many dohicky's you require to be installed in car, fuck-tards are still going to drive like fuck-tards. I'm willing to be that 99% of the cases of people being backed over involved a driver who backed up quickly rather than doing it cautiously and slowly. Unless I KNOW there is no one behind my car, I creep backwards for the first 10 feet or so until I know I've cleared my blind spot and I would have heard/felt my bumper hit any people/children behind me. That way the worst that could happen to someone I can't see behind me is that they get knocked over or pushed under my bumper, but not under my wheels.

The real solution would be to lock up any morons who back over people for sucking at life so they can never klutz anyone to death again.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
When you grow accustomed to "feeling safe" then you don't act safe. This is akin to moral hazard. When you expect precautions to be taken for you, you don't take them yourself.
Exactly. This is also why a legitimate argument can be made against mandatory bicycle and motorcycle helmet laws.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation