HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
No judgment on Boston, but I wouldn't discount the authenticity of Providence's Little Italy. While you're more likely to find Italians in Johnston or North Providence these days, just about everyone of Italian descent in the state -- and this is the most heavily Italian state in America -- traces their roots to Federal Hill. None other than Mario Batali has called Federal Hill the most authentic Little Italy in America.

As for the Mafia, the New England family was based in Providence for a long time, I believe at least in part to avoid competition from the Irish mob in Boston.
not discounting it's authenticity at all, i just think that North End has the edge. I'm not gonna argue against Providence or Federal Hill at all because i love the place.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 6:15 AM

I think what makes me feel Federal Hill is more authentic is how it's a lot less touristy than the North End has become. Who the hell wants to wait 2 hours in line at Modern? Pastiche rarely has a line and it's always filled with Fed Hill residents as opposed to French Canadians and Chinese tourists.

Both are still amazing neighborhoods of course. We're lucky to have them - to lots of Americans, Olive Garden is actually a decent meal.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I think what makes me feel Federal Hill is more authentic is how it's a lot less touristy than the North End has become. Who the hell wants to wait 2 hours in line at Modern? Pastiche rarely has a line and it's always filled with Fed Hill residents as opposed to French Canadians and Chinese tourists.

Both are still amazing neighborhoods of course. We're lucky to have them - to lots of Americans, Olive Garden is actually a decent meal.
I agree with all of that! have you tried the bread at Bricco Panetteria? amazing but I'm still a Parziale's guy

Last edited by sterlippo1; Apr 20, 2017 at 9:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:17 PM
hemelschraper

Nice, never knew it was this beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:47 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

good work here with one of my favorite cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
I have to disagree Shawn. Federal Hill , while i love it, isn't now and never was as authentically Italian as the North End, in my opinion. I know the North End is different now (sadly) but so isn't Federal Hill. A lot of my dad's family was from the North End so i've been going in since the '60's
( conversely, my mom's family was East Boston, very different Italian area) . I used to watch the feasts from my aunt's bedroom window, she lived across the street from Old North Church, 282 Salem i believe. I was a lucky guy to have been able to experience it back then. Both fantastic in their own right. I think the North End is the best "Little Italy" (dont like that moniker for the North End) in the country, i dont think it's even close. Arthur Ave in the Bronx is cool, Manhattan's is pathetic and SF's North Beach is nice but not close. Philly? love Philly, but that area not the nicest. Lots of good food places though! San Diego, surprisingly has a nice one.....I digress

by all means, digress yourself to cleveland's little italy sometime!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

by all means, digress yourself to cleveland's little italy sometime!
have not been but it's on my bucket list, Pittsburgh's too

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos