HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 31, 2011, 9:14 PM

What is the typical lead time for ordering a curtain wall?

Is it likely that much of the cladding for Waterview has already been manufactured and is sitting in a warehouse somewhere? If so then it would certainly be MUCH more economical (and environmentally friendly) to use that to the greatest extent possible.

They could of course use the original cladding up through floor 64 and then do something completely different for the crown.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 12:05 AM

Several floors of the cladding where shipped from the manufacturer in China here and were being warehoused in the suburbs, but it has been so long now that it may have been repossessed, shipped back, or met some other fate. Time will tell. I agree that there is incentive to go with as much of the original layout to save cost.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 1:26 AM

As long as this one gets completed. When Waterview went under I figured it would sit vacant for the better part of a decade, and seeing the looming hulk in person last week...shudders.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 7:46 AM

500 units over 50 floors, basically.

With 10 (luxury) units per floor on a quarter-block site, the triangular floorplates might not be adequate anymore. So assuming it isn't structurally precluded, they may well be aiming for a square building. That could make the proximity of the United HQ to people's bedrooms a new problem, but probably not an insurmountable one.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 1:54 PM
BANNED

^^^ Well is the transfer floor which transitions from square to round in place? I can't recall if construction stalled right before or right after that floor. If it is it's going to be damn near impossible to go backwards and start square plates.

Ideally it is in place and it will force Related to build a cantilever at the base of the new part of the tower back over the base to regain as much of the square footprint as possible.

Sigh, a man can dream can't he?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 4:10 PM

I seem to remember that they had poured the swimming pool that was going to be on the south side of the building.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 4:11 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^^Construction stalled right before the transfer level was built. However, the columns in back are much thinner than the columns in front, so I imagine it will be very hard to significantly change the design.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 4:34 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
That could make the proximity of the United HQ to people's bedrooms a new problem, but probably not an insurmountable one.
It'll only be a problem for the United building if the people aren't in shape.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 5:17 PM

Cool

Here is a lil reminder how we ended up with what is currently standing there:

Video Link

I guess we have to see and wait how the design is changed from what was planned to what gets built. Maybe they just chop off some of the planned floors and keep the design.

Last edited by andydie; Aug 1, 2011 at 5:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
^^Construction stalled right before the transfer level was built. However, the columns in back are much thinner than the columns in front, so I imagine it will be very hard to significantly change the design.
They'll have a bit of leeway since the currently-built portion was designed to hold much more weight than the future building will provide. 25 floors of concrete is a lot of weight savings.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 6:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
They'll have a bit of leeway since the currently-built portion was designed to hold much more weight than the future building will provide. 25 floors of concrete is a lot of weight savings.
Yes, but that only applies to the columns under the footprint of the triangular section. The question is whether or not the columns in the southeast corner of the structure are beefy enough to shoulder any weight beyond what has already been built.

Also, it may be possible that all columns in the existing structure are roughly the same strength and that the unbuilt transfer floor was to unify them to support the triangular tower portion. If that's the case then they could essentially build whatever they please on top of the existing base because the transfer floor would allow them to configure the columns for the tower portion as they please. However, I think it's unlikely that all the columns on the podium are roughly equal in load bearing capacity seeing as how it appears that the columns along Wacker are insanely beefy while those along Clark are not so much.

----------

On the bright side, this redesign will provide a major density boost in terms of unit count. Originally there were to be only 233 condos in addition to the hotel. The 500 apartment number is more than double that. Does anyone know how many rooms the hotel was to have?

I think we can deduce a few things about the likely plans from these numbers. It seems to me that such a boost in unit count would require a similar or only slightly smaller amount of FAR. Even if you trimmed the size of each unit by 25%, you'd still need 75% of the 1.2 million SF originally planned. To me this implies that the tower can be reconfigured to a square floorplate while the FAR lost to the height reduction is to moved to that area.

In any case I'm not going to complain about the massive gain in unit count. Should add a ton of activity to the street.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
Or they could move over to steel framing for the remainder of the project.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2011, 7:59 PM

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but apparently this hulk is featured in the new movie Colombiana?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 6:06 PM
live it or leave it.

From the trailer...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2011, 7:32 PM

Related was also involved with the Canyon Ranch tower designed by Destefino that never happened. I would love to see something similar here or at 500 N. LSD to that Canyon Ranch design. For the most part I have really liked Related's developments or proposals in Chicago so I am very hopeful about this project.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 7:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Taco View Post
taller than the tallest building in a lot of towns...

I wonder if anyone has ever independently played around with what could be put there without doing any demo
Sad but very much true (from San Antonio - a very backward city - that holds on to a UFO looking building that is only used for dining at a less than percent 3 star restaurant. They say it's a romantic restaurant, which rotates...pfft! I went. Horrible. Kids all over the place and aged!). If this building, at 23 floors, were finished off with a nice glassy look as with WTC1 or WTC4, it would be much better than any building in downtown San Antonio. I really do not understand why some cities think ahead and others do or others do think ahead but others prevent. Put it this way, for instance, I did some research over the business downtown in San Antonio. Nearly 75 percent of the buildings are hotels. I know of three that have over 900 rooms. The last time I did a check was the weekend of 08-05/08-07-2011 were all sold out. I do not get it. This also includes one of two five star hotels which are only 12 and 13 stories, respectfully. Here in South Texas, we call this a 'high-rise'. Yes, I know, what am I getting to?

I have been to Chicago many, many times. I love it there. I love all the trees, the green, the uniqueness to each and every building, and most importantly, the space between buildings. Other than wanting to invest into this project if it were something else, if I had the movie, I do not think Chicago will let this go on. Places like San Antonio do not even like it when buildings are taking too long and have charged buildings that do not meet their deadlines by the day (e.g., for more, look up news stories on the Grand Hyatt Riverwalk). I would like to think the city should do the same. In addition, I am kind of happy they did not finish it. May be something better looking will go up, and as someone said on this forum, 'the foundation was built for something larger' and anyone vested in such a project should 'should take advantage of that'. You see, my reasoning is, as with the example about San Antonio regarding less than 20 story hotel buildings with a hand full of over 25, if their is a need to build taller, then it should be done. At current, the Waterview is 23 stories. For Chicago standards, this is simply a parking garage. The building to the right of the Waterview is simply beautiful. Since then, Chicago has seen it's fair share of great beauty (e.g., the Aqua) and the based on what the Waterview was suppose to be when top out, it would not have stood the test of time. It would have been some random building that is simply just tall. To be honest, the upper part of what the Waterview would have been looks like the Four Seasons Chicago, only with less bulk (thinnier). Thus, nothing new. May be that is why it could not get funding. I mean, I have never heard of a building so far in development just stop and be left as it is now (with the exception of the Ryugyong Hotel in North Korea which begin in 1987 and topped out and stopped work on in 1992. This was a 105 story building. However, after 16 of inactivity, work on the building started up again in 2008 and is pretty much finished and will open in 2012).

Sorry for all the little stories to give my opinion whilst giving a collection to my open. In the end, if a city such as San Antonio that is so backward in construction (the new buildings they build are of the same color and made to look old...huh?) and if a county which started a major high-rise finishes it's project, albeit 16 years (which would be a good thing, at least they did not have to redo the hotel for the 21st century - 16-20 years makes for a big difference - as it will not be so outdated by now for such a big project), I am sure a Chicago - a city of great architecture and of progressive thinking - will do something worthy on the site of the Waterview. And, hey, if you all are thinking the same thing will happen as with the Spire, do not. The Spire is really just on hold. They have the money and the backing for it. They are just waiting for the right timing. I mean, hey, look at the Aqua. The Aqua is already filling up! So many people are living there now. I love the fact that you do not have to be making millions to live in a high-rise in Chicago. The market in terms of living in a high-rise with such great architecture is what Chicago truly is. It is the way things should be. Why should only the super rich live in great living conditions? I just recently heard that the Carnegie 57 - at 1, 005 ft. - just sold a 6,000 sq ft condo for 40 million! That is about $6, 667 per sq ft! You can get a great apt or condo at the Aqua, for example, for less than $300,000 and with more sq ft. - more bag for the buck. That is a true example of thinking ahead or building greatness for all to see, not just the super rich and not just for the poor and middle class to look at and dream about. What can you get in Manhattan for $300,000? May be a small apt in a noisy, unusually noisy, part of town. Never would I think it to be realistic to built high-rises just for the super rich. It is not progressive in nature at all, and with more and more people believing the best way to expand is to centralize, as oppose to decentralizing (moving away from the city), Chicago seems to be the only city thinking of it's people and not just the super rich. When I travel for business or leisure, as with Chicago, I love just walking the streets. Those that live in Chicago are so lucky. just not in the winter months lol.

Thanks for readings. Nothing but good can come from the Waterview in a city of beauty.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 5:26 AM

Somehow I have a feeling this tower won't actually be finished, but demolished and rebuilt instead...............

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 4:42 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Somehow I have a feeling this tower won't actually be finished, but demolished and rebuilt instead...............
I had heard about a year ago from an attorney acquaintance that that would most likely happen. I didn't believe it then & still don't.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 5:59 PM

USA Hoist has been onsite the last 2 days, looks like they are running the hoist.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2011, 6:29 PM
BANNED

Really? Interesting if they really are getting going on this already...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive