HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 5:37 PM

^ way too dense feeling vs sf

great shots - i recognize most of it.

not sure if you are still there, but if so definately get to andalusia - much different vibe over there!

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 11:43 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
re: italian-ness, the galata neighborhood in which some of these pics were taken was genovese in the middle ages. the buildings are 19th century, but there may have been some sort of cultural hand-me-down type thing in effect.
Has to be one of the most beautiful identifiers in the English language.

"I am Genovese" - goosebumps. So pretty.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:38 PM
International

word up, man. looking forward to my first foray into the 212.

Old Posted May 8, 2013, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
well done. I know it's probably the touristy thing to do, but the Hagia Sofia is such a beautiful specimen. I'd love to see it someday.

Some of these shots look Italian to me. Maybe it's a Mediterranean thing.
Even though Turkey is a Mediterranean country Istanbul is on the Black Sea and Marmara Sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
the metal fences are in a neighborhood called tarlabasi, where most of the buildings have been condemned. it's been like that for a while though, and there's a sketchy demimonde that seems to use those buildings for whatever, entering and exiting through cracks in the gating.

i know the redevelopment plans are still active, but i have no idea when it's actually going to happen. that neighborhood was a little dicey in parts, even in the day.
It's moving slowly and has been in the works for years. The project is pretty controversial because they're pushing out locals and gutting the area to gentrify it rapidly with the high end condos and offices they will be putting in. Some of new buildings retain the historic facades and the non-historic buildings will be torn down.

http://www.tarlabasi360.com/

I'm glad you went to Levent and got a photo of Soyak Tower the triangular building under construction near Sapphire, it's one of my favorites. Next time you visit I hope you check out the Asian side too.

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 1:51 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus Gyllius
All other cities are doomed, but I imagine that as long as people exist, Constantinople will exist.
My favourite city on earth. It feels... lived in. Great photo set.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 11:37 AM
what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
I'm glad you went to Levent and got a photo of Soyak Tower the triangular building under construction near Sapphire, it's one of my favorites. Next time you visit I hope you check out the Asian side too.

i'll be back soon. i had to get a three-month visa on arrival, so i am determined to get my 45 euros worth.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 11:59 AM
furified freestyle

there's definitely enough to it to spell out its geography: european, middle eastern, cosmopolitan city with a long reach. and for all the skyscraperpagin' i've done over the years, i don't know that i've ever seen, or paid attention to, the modern skyscrapers there. did you take the train there?

the pic of the mosque in the fog is a good'n, kool. i like the drain in this one too -- recalls the pisser in an early 20th century old man bar.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 4:29 PM
what it is

hey gio, nah, we took air pegasus. the trains here suck. you can't hook up to istanbul from kosovo that way.

thanks for commenting!

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:03 PM
Registered Drug User

Terrific shots. I'll never forgot arriving in Istanbul in August from steaming, humid East Asia: not only did our hotel rooms not have air conditioning, they didn't even have electric fans. Dry breezes wafting over medieval streets are a marvellous thing.

Istanbul can be magical. But I can't get past the omnipresent calls to prayer, and feel a sense of civilizational regret for the loss of 1453 whenever I think of the city that the Greeks still call Constantinople. Which I think is a better name, and represents something better, too. Does that make me a bad person?

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Istanbul can be magical. But I can't get past the omnipresent calls to prayer, and feel a sense of civilizational regret for the loss of 1453 whenever I think of the city that the Greeks still call Constantinople. Which I think is a better name, and represents something better, too. Does that make me a bad person?
Not only only does that make you a bad person it's extremely offensive and ignorant.

I'm not going to read too far into to your comment to avoid starting an argument but based on how it's crafted I'm picking up a lot of racist and islamophobic sentiment.

Old Posted May 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscapes View Post
Not only only does that make you a bad person it's extremely offensive and ignorant.

I'm not going to read too far into to your comment to avoid starting an argument but based on how it's crafted I'm picking up a lot of racist and islamophobic sentiment.
No, let's have a rousing argument about racism and islamophobia in Kool's thread!

Or maybe let's not. But all the same: is it a truism that people who lob accusations of ignorance on internet forums tend to be, well...ignorant?

Your offence-taking is exuberant and zealous. Just for fun, try to imagine how much outrage would be generated by analogous throwaway comments such as "I sorta wish Texas had never been taken by the Americans," or "I sorta wish the Europeans hadn't slaughtered so many natives," or "I sorta wish the Spanish hadn't taken over Catalonia." To ask the question, of course, is to answer it.

I sorta wish Istanbul was still Constantinople. I don't like Islam as a religion, a system of thought or a culture. At all. Is that offensive? Bite me. Does that mean I want to invade Iraq and Iran, or disassociate myself from the Muslims who married into my family? No. But bite me anyway.

As for the racism: The Greeks have a superstition about the "evil eye" that goes back to when the Turks were kidnapping their women for the harem of the sultan. Of swing, as it were. The "evil eye" is blue, because there are lots of blue-eyed Turks. By contrast with the Greeks. Are Arabs and Europeans separate races? I'm no expert, and I've never given it much thought. But, again: bite me.

Just to reiterate: these are terrific pictures!

Last edited by rousseau; May 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM. Reason: Grammar

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 9:35 AM
what it is

as usual, the term "racism" has been overzealously and inaccurately applied to a much older idea here. in 1453, constantinople passed from a cultural and civilizational sphere that is fairly directly related to, say, canadians of british descent (not sure if that's the case for you rousseau - it is for me) into one that is more distant. for my part, istanbul would be somewhat incomplete without this alien-ness - this history of sultans and seraglios and persian loanwords from achaemenid pasargadae - but i find nothing offensive in what rousseau said. it's ordinary human cultural history, as viewed from one sub-grouping toward another.

modern concepts like racism and "islamophobia" mostly relate to and descend from the grotesque over-inflations of this normal sentiment that occurred as a result of the slave trade and the events following september 11th, 2001, respectively.

i find nothing offensive in vague pining for greek istanbul, just as i might expect a syrian or an iraqi to possess conflicted feelings at cordoba. in vienna, i'll admit, i took a slight, western pleasure in sipping coffee (a turkish import from siege times) at café demel and thinking "these guys held the line."

when treated humanely and subtly, these feelings of difference are what make us human. isn't that what the whole "diversity" thing is all about?

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 9:46 AM
what it is

as a side note, i live in a muslim country, and woke to the muezzin's call today.

it was a little early for my tastes, and a little off-key (maybe different scale-structures?).

these observations are not exactly going to lead to a pogrom, or even a "crying eagle" t-shirt.

but it is different.

Last edited by kool maudit; May 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2013, 4:54 PM

Absolutely Stunning! Gotta love this city and this whole set was a banger, Kool Maudit.

In some parts it resembles parts of India and southern Asia like here:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos