HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 11, 2005, 11:12 PM
BANNED

How is that part of the east side the ghetto?

Explain.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2005, 11:23 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayTownboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas
^ That's great news. I would assume they are talking about "highrises" being anywhere from 18 to 25 floors. There are few buildings on the loops around San Antonio that exceed 20 floors. Still a 20-story office tower is fairly tall, up to 300 feet. So we'll see. There haven't been any new highrises on the loop or I-10 since about the mid-80s so I wouldn't be surprised to see another one. It's about time.
The highrises will be on 1604 not 410. There are no highrise buildings off of 1604.
Yeah I know, for some reason I said "loops". There is one mid-rise near 1604, I believe it's on San Pedro Avenue? It was at night when we drove out there. We sold a dog to a family off US 281.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 12:12 AM
BANNED

A mid-rise near 1604.

The only mid-rise near 1604 is a hospital building in Stone Oak.

The building you speak of, off San Pedro, is no where near 1604.

There's a few mid rise buildings off of 281 but there's nothing higher than 50 feet along 1604.

But there is a new hospital building in Stone Oak, as mentioned earlier, that is between 150-200 feet. But that's probably half a mile north of 1604.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 12:40 AM
James

What about that new hotel they built...the Drury?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 1:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185
What about that new hotel they built...the Drury?
Where will this be?

I know Santiko's new development, The Legacy, is going to build a hotel.

But construction just began.

Also, The Rim will also have a really nice hotel as well.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 2:34 AM
Houston:Considered Good

Privatization of the golf courses may be a good idea. When I was involved in Houston politics at Houstonarchitecture.info, I suggested privatizing the cities trash cleanup and districting different districts in which different companies with different standards of cleanup would handle the job (EX: The downtown district would require sidewalk cleaning but the company would also get paid more. It would've improved trash cleanup and would be cheaper for the city.

It might be a good idea to do the same for San Antonio. Although trash cleanup is not as big a problem over here, it would improve trash cleanup and save the city money for other things.

I also think that if we allow the privatized company to develop convention centers and hotels etc. they should be approved by the city in order to avoid mistakes such as building too close to other people's homes etc.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 5:17 AM
James

it is between Hardy Oak and Stone Oak, its pretty tall for being on 1604 at about 8 stories

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 5:35 AM
BANNED

Condo project on river is jelling

Web Posted: 10/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Adolfo Pesquera
Express-News Business Writer

A 16-story time-share and condominium luxury tower with restaurants is planned for a River Walk site purchased by the rapidly expanding HollyHills Development.

HollyHills CEO Joseph Heitzler unveiled plans Tuesday for a project that is predominantly a vacation ownership concept that will provide clients the option of using up to three vacation sites — downtown on the San Antonio River, a golf resort in west Bexar County and a Texas coast property yet to be announced.

According to Bexar County records, HollyHills bought an office building in January for about $1.64 million. The one-story building, at 120 Villita St., was owned by attorney Michael T. LaHood and Frances Ferro, the widow of a former county court-at-law judge.

Since appearing on the scene in spring 2004, Dan and Marlene Bailey, the owners of Los Angeles-based HollyHills, have turned heads with the fast pace of their investments. They started with the 522-acre South Port industrial park next to the Toyota plant and hired Heitzler not just to manage operations but also to add his expertise in sports entertainment.

Their latest redevelopment concept on the River Walk would involve continuing use of the street level as offices.

"The tenants want to stay," Heitzler said, adding that construction will begin in 2007.

The bulk of the project, 10 stories starting above street level, will be time shares, he said.

Several companies are venturing into time-share projects in San Antonio. These include the Hyatt Hill Country Resort's Vacation Club and a deal under way next to the La Cascada condominium tower two blocks south of the Villita Street property.

HollyHills believes the time-share vacation properties will work in San Antonio, Heitzler said, because the city is increasingly a draw for retirees and wealthy out-of-town shoppers and because the city's leaders have been so successful at attracting corporations to relocate here.

The two floors above the time-share section will be for luxury condominiums, Heitzler said.

"On the top floor, we'll have a restaurant," he said. "We are having (architecture firm) 3D/I work on renderings for both a stationary and a revolving roof."

If HollyHills chooses a revolving restaurant, the engineering design would be similar to that of the Tower of the Americas, he said. There are also plans for a restaurant at the river level, but it probably would be a half-story above the River Walk, similar to the design at the Acenar at Hotel Valencia.

The 3D/I firm designed Hotel Valencia, which faced similar challenges as the Villita Street project will face.

"The one thing I'm starting to look at right now is whether we can actually go to river level," said Andres Andujar, executive director of 3D/I. "That's a flood plain right there."

An elevated restaurant would get around that problem, he said, adding that there probably would be little problem getting permission to demolish the existing structure.

From the standpoint of upper-floor residences, the location has great potential, Andujar added.

"It's a beautiful view of the Tower of Life Building, the Granada," he said. "The Bexar County Courthouse is a direct view. You can see the San Fernando Cathedral."

The development team will work closely with the community on the high-rise, Heitzler said. With golf or beach communities, there is plenty of room to make adjustments when things don't go well, he said, "but we can't make any mistakes on the tower."

"It's going to be on the barge tour," he said.

The rising profile of Heitzler's boss, Dan Bailey, has made some local leaders uneasy because Bailey was convicted in the late 1980s for a mail-fraud scheme related to real estate.

But Heitzler, a former CEO with Championship Auto Racing Teams who is trying to bring street racing back to San Antonio, said Bailey is trying to build his reputation in the mold of Denver billionaire Phil Anschutz. The reclusive Anschutz invested in a downtown Los Angeles revival by spending his railroad and telecom earnings in sports and entertainment.

"Sometimes it takes an outsider to appreciate what others take for granted," Heitzler said.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business....121f4036.html

Old Posted Oct 12, 2005, 5:37 AM
BANNED

CPS Energy rated tops in U.S.

Web Posted: 10/12/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Meena Thiruvengadam
Express-News Business Writer

CPS Energy is the top-ranked gas utility company in the country, according to a new study by renowned consumer researcher J.D. Power and Associates.

The study surveyed more than 12,000 residential gas customers between April and June on their satisfaction with the country's 56 largest gas utility providers. Utilities were judged on price and value, customer service, field service, billing and payment, and company image.

CPS Energy did especially well in the areas of price and value, billing and payment, and company image, according to study results.

"Their customers feel they get better value for the price they pay," said Jeff Conklin, senior director of J.D. Power and Associates. "They've got new billing options, and customer service has improved."

In the past two years, CPS Energy has added an online billing option and begun accepting credit card payments.

"Customers are really excited about looking at their bills online and paying online," spokeswoman Theresa Brown Cortez said. "The number of people using online billing is growing by the thousands every month."

The company also has changed its name from City Public Service to CPS Energy in order to better reflect its services and avoid confusion with the state's division of Child Protective Services.

CPS Energy's gas and electric bills are among the lowest of any major U.S. city. The national average monthly natural gas bill is $94, according to the survey. CPS Energy's average monthly combined natural gas and electricity bill is $121.25, spokesman Bob McCullough said.

CPS Energy is the country's largest city-owned gas and electric company. It serves more than 600,000 electric customers and 300,000 natural gas customers.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business....121f3fd7.html

Old Posted Oct 13, 2005, 7:24 AM
BANNED

SBC Center plan calls for more planning

Web Posted: 10/13/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Elizabeth Allen
Express-News Staff Writer

After hearing two competing presentations, Bexar County commissioners decided Wednesday to go with the EDAW/Kell Muñoz Architects group to devise a master plan for the SBC Center grounds.

But the selection process, like the eventual plan itself, won't be a simple one.

After discussion with officials of the Spurs and San Antonio Livestock Exposition, who preferred a firm with the competing group, commissioners voted to create a committee that will oversee fine-tuning of the planning team before the planning itself even begins.

"We're trying to keep everybody happy," said Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff, "but there's limits with trying to do that, because we're trying to move this project on."

The goal is to redesign the existing arena grounds, including outside property if necessary, to create a multi-use complex around the SBC Center.

But with that goal comes numerous ideas and possible partnerships with developers, the city, the state and even the federal government.

County officials would like to see a plan that would build on the Stock Show & Rodeo's agricultural tradition, lure industrial trade shows the Convention Center can't easily accommodate, and take advantage of the SBC Center, which will not be changed. The slew of barns and outbuildings and even the 55-year-old, concrete-and-steel Freeman Coliseum is fair game.

And so is the outlying property. The county's request for proposals included the possibility of buying more land around the East Side property, and for planning purposes, officials and developers agree that the city's adjacent Willow Springs Golf Course is a key component.

The second presenters, a consortium including planning firms Ellerbe Becket and Bullock, Smith & Partners and local architect Saldana & Associates, had some technical troubles that left commissioners frustrated.

But livestock exposition Executive Director Keith Martin and Spurs Sports & Entertainment Executive Vice President Rick Pych praised Bullock, Smith's work on facilities that could accommodate anything from horse shows to bowling lanes.

So commissioners created the seven-member oversight committee in part to see if the first group can persuade Bullock, Smith or somebody like them to participate.

"We're strongly encouraging them to engage that firm at least for some insight," said Commissioner Lyle Larson, a committee member.

Kell Muñoz CEO Henry Muñoz said he is familiar with Bullock, Smith, and would be open to working with that firm if it's not prohibited by some agreement with Ellerbe Becket.

"I would welcome it," he said. "We love associations. We always learn from them."

While the presentations were focused on selling the planning teams, the slides offered by EDAW and Kell Muñoz included a sketch of an SBC Center anchoring a massive sports complex with stadiums for professional baseball and football and a NASCAR track, spilling over into what is now the golf course.

The concept mirrors one floated to city and county officials and others in the community by Dan and Marlene Bailey, Los Angeles-based developers who have been shopping proposals for a megaproject close to the arenas complex and encompassing the golf course.

But people have been cautious about the Baileys' plan since it was reported that Dan Bailey served time in federal prison during the late 1980s for fraud.

Wolff talked about eventually working with nearby property owner Bill Tidwell, the city and other agencies, but didn't mention the Baileys' plan.

Afterward, Wolff said he wasn't really interested in the sports megaplex concept.

"We want to focus first on the doable stuff," Wolff said. "We need the grand plan, but we need to have the piece in place that we know we can do."

Muñoz said the slide was just a brainstorming sketch. He said he has spoken with the Baileys, along with other potential players in the community, but that "we don't work for the Baileys."

District 2 Councilwoman Sheila McNeil, whom Wolff invited to join commissioners on the dais, preferred the EDAW/Kell Muñoz plan.

"The people who are involved in that group have a long and strong relationship with the constituents around the SBC Center," McNeil said, noting former Mayor Ed Garza's participation as a new EDAW employee and Kell Muñoz's work on a nearby school. "That master plan is going to spill over to the community at large."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business....181b7d90.html

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 12:02 AM
James

i dont think that the golf course will be destroyed, but I dont think they need a convention center over there, its gonna be a waste of space, san antonio already has a convention center...but oh well...I think all this is so awesome, I can't wait until a winning bid is chosen.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 4:52 AM
BANNED

Here's a "crappy" diagram I created showing where the 1604/10 developments will be. (Also, UTSA and Valero are reference points.)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 4:57 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

hey y'all....go to www.faulknerusa.com ......im disspointed to say in the least....

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 5:01 PM

What the hell were they thinking? I smell little old german people (those who run the city) and see their conseritivness....right here!

Damn..you were so close to having another landmark building in San Antonio.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 5:06 PM

yea Im just sick....its the blah blah bland that san Antonio seems to becoming known for....

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 5:08 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy
yea Im just sick....its the blah blah bland that san Antonio seems to becoming known for....
Here tis...

Please tell me there is an actual 'tower' hidden in here somewhere? One big bulky hotel.. not exactly a landmark. Just a rough count of about 35-37 floors in this building (not counting the top cap w/ the sign?).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 5:14 PM

Kinda reminds me of Austin's Hilton......way too simple and you can totally notice the difference between the hotel and the condos....ugh...just can't believe it

Old Posted Oct 14, 2005, 5:18 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy
Kinda reminds me of Austin's Hilton......way too simple and you can totally notice the difference between the hotel and the condos....ugh...just can't believe it
Yep... even more so the new Denver Hyatt hotel... there are some obvious similarities:

Old Posted Oct 15, 2005, 2:08 AM

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! That shit is nasty.I'm very upset. the other design a billion times better. I guess developers in Austin don't want SA to have a better skyline than Austin, lol. I'm about to email them and let them know it;s a piece of shit.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2005, 2:20 AM
JACKinBeantown

Tell them I second that motion.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations