HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 22, 2006, 4:12 PM
Honored Member

Fargo-Moorhead developments information

There's some info I have found on several new developments in the exploding city of Fargo-Moorhead that I'd like to show you all and tell you about:

I found some info on a new lifestyle centre (Liberty Square Phase II) currently being built in SW Fargo across the street from another retail centre currently being built (West Pointe Centre). The homepage is here: http://www.cityscapesdevelopment.com...y_square2.html

The Phase I homepage is here: http://www.cityscapesdevelopment.com/liberty_square.php There is already a Gander Mountain outdoor store on the site, and foundation work for some outparcels are now starting up.

Liberty Square Phase I and II is kitty-corner from a gigantic new-urbanist commercial and residential development on 45th Street and 32nd Anevue South that is currently known as the "Brandt Development" and is currently undergoing groundbreaking of its first phase. This development will include (among other things) a Marriott Hotel, A Joe's Crab Shack, and a 15+ storey high rise condo tower, among other things. This will be the largest single urban development in the history of North Dakota. More info will be available soon, and I will post that.

Just south of this development on the NE corner of 45th and 32nd is a new retail centre called "The Crossing", of which planned tenants include Starbucks, Pottery Barn and CompUSA. Info can be found here: http://www.goldmark.com/commercial/d...asp?propid=245 Already the residential parts of this development have been completed.

I will also post info on West Point Centre as soon as it becomes available.

There is also three large noteworthy projects in downtown Fargo, one of which is the 400 Broadway redevelopment, where three historic buildings on that block will be restored and have condos built in them on the 2-4 floors, with retail on the first floor. Another project is the Union Storage and Transfer building loft conversions, located near the corner of 10th Street and NP Avenue. The other big project is the Kaye's Printing Building loft conversions on 500 Broadway. I will get some info on here as soon as I can find it.

Downtown Moorhead is currently redeveloping its downtown core, with Phase II of the Sterling Downtown Redevelopment almost completed. A Starbucks will move in very soon, and an Applebee's restaurant is planning on building on the riverfront. Info on one of these phases can be seen here: http://www.konradolson.com/asp/featu...erty.asp?ID=50 (Click on "View Brochure")

Here's a little info on the new "Town Square" retail center going up on the corner of 13th Avenue South and 25th Street: http://www.fmrealestate.com/commerci...x.php?listid=4

Eagle Run Plaza is a commercial/retail element of a gigantic 3,000-unit residential development in West Fargo south of Interstate 94. Already the first phase of the commercial development is completed, and more is currently being built. Here's some info: http://www.propertyresourcesgroup.co...rop.asp?ID=132

Woodhaven Plaza is a new-urbanist development on the corner of 40th Avenue South and 42nd Street. It is currently under construction. Here's the page with a link to the .pdf file with info: http://www.konradolson.com/asp/featu...erty.asp?ID=58

A retail centre in South Moorhead is also being built, Mallard Creek Commons. Info can be found here: http://www.goldmark.com/commercial/d...asp?propid=298 Also in South Moorhead currently being built is a new Menards and a Home Depot on 34th Street and Interstate 94, but I have no online info on that.

There is also a huge development on the corner of 45th Street and 40th Avenue South which is almost complete. Tennants known so far are a Hornbacher's grocery store and two banks (Alerus Financial and First International Bank and Trust). I will probably take some pictures of a lot of these places as they are built.

Another devemopment is a small strip mall called Crossroads Retail Centre on the corner of 34th Street and 13th Avenue South. I'll take a picture of it later on in the future if you want to see it, but it's not really that exciting.

I will be doing an extensive Fargo-Moorhead photo thread with over 100 pictures this spring and posting it on the City Photos forum, and I will have a lot of pics of these new developments as they are worked on.

I will also post in this thread whenever I get more info on new developments, instead of starting a new thread that will sink like a rock within 24 hours.

That's all for now, thanks.

Last edited by SmileyBoy; Feb 22, 2006 at 5:58 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2006, 6:39 PM
Honored Member

Alongside Wal-Mart, it looks like Target wans to build on the intersection of I-29 and 52nd Ave. South.

Target eyes south Fargo:
By Mike Nowatzki, The Forum
Published Friday, February 24, 2006

In an abrupt move, the Fargo City Commission on Thursday voted to annex 201 acres of land that Target Corp. has been eyeing as a possible store location, according to the landowner.

The property, in the southwest corner of Interstate 29 and 52nd Avenue South, is kitty-corner from a proposed Wal-Mart Supercenter.

Mayor Bruce Furness said Fargo needed to start the annexation process right away to ensure Frontier couldn’t annex the land into its city limits and capture the commercial development.

“We’ve been burned a couple of times, and we don’t want to get burned again,” he said, referring to past annexation battles with West Fargo and Horace.

Fargo Planning Director Jim Gilmour said the city was contacted about a week ago by a development group buying the property.

The land is owned by Comstock Holding Co. LLC of Fargo. Monte Kjos, the company’s chief manager, said he and his business partner, John Clemedtson, have been in discussions with Target Corp. officials for a couple of years.

“We talked to them about three weeks ago,” Kjos said. “All I know is everything is on hold. They’re going to wait until they see what Wal-Mart does.”

Target Corp. spokesman Joshua Thomas said he couldn’t be specific about land the retailer is considering.

“All I can tell you right now is that we’re generally interested in the area, but it’s far too soon to say we’re coming for sure,” he said.

Richard Ward, the real estate agent representing the land buyer, said his client has a purchase agreement to buy 110 acres from Comstock Holding Co. and an option to buy the rest of the parcel.

Ward, of Summit Real Estate in Fargo, would not divulge his client’s name, saying only that the man is from “out of town.” Kjos identified the buyer as White Oaks Trust of Las Vegas.

Ward said it was premature to talk about his client’s plans for the property. He said the annexation “appears to be something that he would have requested at the appropriate time.”

Fargo City Administrator Pat Zavoral said Ward’s client had talked to the city about annexing the land for commercial development.

“Whether he’s dealing with a Wal-Mart or a Target or something else, it’s irrelevant in terms of the services we need to provide and zoning we have to give,” Zavoral said.

Fireworks must move

The 201 acres also includes a 5.6-acre parcel that Starr Fireworks leases on the north side of 52nd Avenue South, in a section of land owned by Fred and Earlyne Hector.

The Hectors have asked the city to amend its growth plan to allow for a 50-acre commercial development, anchored by a Wal-Mart supercenter, in the northeast corner of I-29 and 52nd Avenue South.

Fargo city commissioners are trying to persuade Wal-Mart to locate on the west side of I-29, due to opposition on the east side from Fargo residents and the city of Frontier, which sits just south of the proposed Wal-Mart site.

Wal-Mart spokesman Ryan Horn said Wednesday that the retailer isn’t interested in the site west of I-29, in part because Starr Fireworks is leasing part of the property.

However, with the annexation, Starr Fireworks must relocate because city ordinance bans the sale of fireworks within city limits.

Gilmour said the city made special accommodations for Starr Fireworks by leaving it out of the Hector property annexation five years ago. Starr Fireworks was told at the time that it would have to relocate when the city annexed the land south of 52nd Avenue, he said.

“Eventually, we knew it was coming,” said Dino Alexakos, a manager at Starr Fireworks.

The annexation resolution approved Thursday calls for an Aug. 28 public hearing. Starr Fireworks will be allowed to sell fireworks in its current location for one year after that date, Gilmour said.

Quick decision made

Zavoral said city officials had talked to Ward’s client about annexing the land, and the City Commission originally planned to vote on it during Monday’s meeting.

Zavoral said Thursday’s special meeting was called after learning The Forum planned to publish an article today about Target’s interest in the property.

“Given the history of how communities around Fargo have done pre-emptive annexation, that’s what we have to do,” he said.

Fargo learned through annexation battles with West Fargo and Horace a few years ago that whichever city initiates the annexation process “first in time” has the legal right to bring the land into its city limits, he said.

Furness criticized the process as “backwards,” saying it forces cities to annex property before going through the planning process – meaning nearby communities often don’t receive notice.

“It causes hard feelings as this one likely will, as well, and that’s why it doesn’t make any sense,” he said.

City commissioners approved the annexation in a 4-0 vote. Commissioner John Cosgriff was not at the meeting but later said he supports the move.

Frontier surrounded

Frontier Mayor Tim Jones said a phone call from a reporter Thursday afternoon was the first he’d heard of Fargo’s plans to annex the land across I-29.

“We basically have no control over that situation, and we’re just going to have to deal with it,” he said.

The annexation means Fargo will surround Frontier on all four sides. Last month, Fargo annexed the 127 acres of Stanley Township along Frontier’s southern border.

Frontier could try to annex the 201 acres, but it would have had to ask Fargo’s permission because the land lies in Fargo’s zoning jurisdiction, Gilmour said. If Fargo refused to allow the annexation, the matter would go to mediation, he said.

“I don’t think Frontier had any intention of annexing it, but we’re better safe than sorry,” Gilmour said.

Jones said Frontier residents are more concerned about Wal-Mart’s proposed supercenter across 52nd Avenue. He said residents “absolutely” could accept a Wal-Mart store west of I-29.

“Our buffer is the interstate,” he said.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 4:27 PM
Honored Member

Here's an article about the new life being brought in to the Main Avenue area in downtown Moorhead in that new redevelopment:

Main Street area sees new life
By Craig McEwen, The Forum
Published Monday, February 27, 2006

Life is returning to the former Kirby’s Bar in Moorhead.

Lease signs adorn the 108-year-old Kassenborg building, with three tenants – including Juano’s Restaurant – preparing to move this spring into four spaces on the building’s first floor, said Greg Anderson of HIGHMARK Realty, who is in charge of leasing out the property.

Sterling Companies of Fargo began the $17 million renovation of the corner that rocked – as Kirby’s was known –in April 2005.

Woodlawn Terrace, another Sterling project next door to the south of Kirby’s, has one first-floor retail space left to occupy and half of the 22 second-floor apartments have been rented, said Sterling co-owner Kevin Bartram.

The renovated building is already home to Moxie Java, American Omni Crop Insurance, Edward Jones Investments, Title Resource Network and Woodlawn Dental.

A two-story, 145-space parking ramp is also part of the project.

Juano’s Restaurant is the first to publicly announce that it will open shop in the former Kirby’s landmark.

“We’re going to open a burrito shop similar to the ones on 19th and 32nd Avenue in Fargo,” said Juan Mondragon, owner of Juano’s.

The Moorhead location will be his fourth in Fargo-Moorhead since opening Juano’s Restaurant in downtown Fargo in 1996.

Mondragon branched out in October 2004 by opening a quick-serve grill in the University Town Center strip mall, 1100 19th Ave. N. in Fargo. In December 2005, he opened a similar eatery at 1630 32nd Ave. S. in Fargo.

The quick-service concept has been well-received, Mondragon said. “Being near the two colleges (Concordia and Minnesota State University Moorhead) should work.”

A second tenant has leased space in the building. Details can’t be released yet, Bartram said.

The first two businesses should be operating by April 1, he said.

A third space will contain a “fairly casual” bar and grill capable of serving 90 to 100 customers, he said.

“We have a preliminary design,” Bartram said. The yet-to-be-named bar and grill will serve lunches and evening meals and could possibly be open by June 1, he said.

The only remaining retail space available is in the building’s northwest corner next to Juano’s, he said.

The building’s second floor is being marketed as office space, none of which has been leased due to construction activity on the main floor, Bartram said.

The building will retain some of Kirby’s ambiance.

“It will be non-traditional office space featuring exposed brick and exposed structure,” he said.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 6:03 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I'm glad to see the Fargo metro is doing well. Kind of a forgotten part of the country. I know there's been problems in North Dakota with retaining population, let alone much growth. Seems like the Fargo metro is a bright spot for the state. Can't say I'm real thrilled about the sprawl aspect, but with all the land available out there I guess it's not a major concern for you folks. Thanks for all the info, and I look forward to the spring tour.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Mar 14, 2007 at 9:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2006, 10:34 PM
Honored Member

Thanks, Ex-Ithacan, I can always count on you to show at least a little interest. While there's a lot of sprawl going up on the south, southwest and west parts of the city, it seems to be more hole-filling than anything else. There's large land-gaps in between built-up areas that they're trying to fill. And yes, Fargo/West Fargo is the fastest growing part of the state. Actually it's one of the only two growing areas, the other being around the outskirts of Bismarck. Hopefully we'll get back in the black as far as state population goes real soon.

I'll be doing a photo tour of the whole general city sometime in late April.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2006, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Passed through Fargo this past summer and was surprised by the amount of retail growth and the general increase in size of the city. Fargo seems to have become a retail hub for an even larger area even encompassing cities like Grand Forks!

Old Posted Feb 28, 2006, 7:45 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar
Passed through Fargo this past summer and was surprised by the amount of retail growth and the general increase in size of the city. Fargo seems to have become a retail hub for an even larger area even encompassing cities like Grand Forks!
F-M is on an entirely whole other level than Grand Forks. I see a lot of Manitoba license plates at West Acres on weekends. I have actually struck up conversations with a couple Manitobans at West Acres, and they tell me that they would much rather drive to Fargo to do their American shopping than Grand Forks, because they tell me F-M is a much larger city and has tons more variety of shopping. Plus I've heard that Columbia Mall in GF hasn't been doing too well. F-M is almost 3 times larger than GF, so that helps too.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2006, 3:47 PM

It's regrettable how Fargo-Moorhead has turned its back on the downtown area. I realize that F-M is far from alone in this regard, and my home city is an example. However, I can't think of any other city in the region that has forsaken the central city in such a categorical way. It's particularly galling given that downtown Fargo and Moorhead are nice places in terms of geography and the buildings presently standing there - great buildings like the Courthouse and the Plains Art Museum show that it can be done.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 1:00 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire
It's regrettable how Fargo-Moorhead has turned its back on the downtown area. I realize that F-M is far from alone in this regard, and my home city is an example. However, I can't think of any other city in the region that has forsaken the central city in such a categorical way. It's particularly galling given that downtown Fargo and Moorhead are nice places in terms of geography and the buildings presently standing there - great buildings like the Courthouse and the Plains Art Museum show that it can be done.
Downtown Fargo is actually in pretty decent shape. They recently built a new NDSU Downtown campus, where my architecture studio is located, and where I take most of my classes. There's a lot of small businesses that have opened along Broadway, and the area is generally full of cars between 9am and 9pm. They've also recently built several condos and condo conversions and are planning a few more. I've also noticed a pattern of more people walking on the Broadway sidewalks during the day. Also, the formerly dead intersection of Broadway and 1st will see new tenants and rennovations in its two previously-vacant corner buildings. There's also a plan for a 5-story condo-retail building on the corner of Broadway and 2nd. So I think Downtown is headed in the right direction.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 10:53 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Good for Fargo.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 11:28 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Good to hear there is new developments! I would like to see that 15 story condo tower... Is it going to be a modern design (glass & steel) or a more traditional, blend-in-with-the-surroundings type of architecture I wonder?

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 3:42 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride
Good to hear there is new developments! I would like to see that 15 story condo tower... Is it going to be a modern design (glass & steel) or a more traditional, blend-in-with-the-surroundings type of architecture I wonder?
Are you talking about that development from last spring?? The voters turned it down. Apparently the whole project called for a $60 million condo tower/retail centre with a $40 million hockey arena, and the private firm investing in the $60 million portion said that they would cancel the project altogether if the voters turned down the hockey arena portion, which was to be built with public funds. The whole project was marketed very poorly to the citizens, and I think they were pissed that they were not getting enough info from the developers. So they struck it down via referendum. But luck has it that a local developer, Konrad Olson, wants to build a 20-storey hotel/condo tower on the banks of the Red River. It's just a vision right now, but hopefully it will become a tangible plan soon.

On edit: I think you were talking about the tower in the SW Fargo development. All the plans say right now is a 15+ storey senior citizens high rise condo tower. I'm hoping and praying to get more info on the Brandt Development, and soon.

Sorry about the mixup.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 3:47 AM
Honored Member

About the development on 45th Street and 40th Ave South: The development is called "The Shoppes At Osgood", right next to the Osgood development. The whole thing is almost finished, and parts of it will open soon. There will be a shitload of road construction around that area this summer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2006, 12:13 PM
Honored Member

I recently found out from the US Census Bureau website that the 4-county Fargo-Moorhead-Wahpeton metro area population is just about at 209,000 people even.

Cass - 131,019
Clay - 53,838
Richland - 17,340
Wilkin - 6,802

Time to update the ol' sigline.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 3:00 AM
BANNED

Smiley; Have you headed for high ground? I hear the flood crest will approach record levels!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 7:25 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Smiley; Have you headed for high ground? I hear the flood crest will approach record levels!
Right now, we're sitting and waiting. Flood waters are expected to peak this afternoon at 37.5 feet. That's only 2.1 feet below the 1997 flood level. They're saying the worst flooding is occurring around Fargo and at the Red River in Fargo-Moorhead. There's no danger of the city being inundated like Grand Forks was in 1997, but there's a situation going on with homes and a couple of businesses by the river. The news said close to 1,000 people in F-M living within 100 feet of the flooding could be affected. I'm about 3 miles from the river, so I'm safe.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 9:37 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Geez, I didn't even realize there was a possibility of flooding out that way. We finally got some rain here last night (in the DC area), but we're still over 3" below where we should be for prcipitation for the year. Wacky weather everywhere. Good luck to Fargo on the flooding.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 3:22 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ Yikes

Old Posted Apr 4, 2006, 6:31 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
It's really sad that the only decent pictures of Fargo's skyline are pictures during a flood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest