HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
PennLive generated a 3D massing model of downtown Harrisburg, which depicts the anticipated massing of the new Harrisburg University tower. While we wait for the final selection and some renderings, this at least gives some eye candy to the potential impact that this could possible have on the skyline. The third image implies some form and finishes - not sure if that's just a complete guess by the creator of the image, or if they have some inside information. More detail about PennLive's modeling process (with imagery) can be found at the article link below -

Source: Dan Gleiter | PennLive
When is this going to start???

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 1:41 AM

This will be great, I go to Harrisburg frequently for work (State Employee) and it has a great blueprint for a downtown. I wish more people lived downtown but I always have fun there.

Old Posted May 24, 2018, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhueaglesphan View Post
This will be great, I go to Harrisburg frequently for work (State Employee) and it has a great blueprint for a downtown. I wish more people lived downtown but I always have fun there.
yes I hear there is a lot to do there.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 11:20 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhueaglesphan View Post
There is about 3000 of us that live downtown. And growing at a pretty good rate.

There has been about 100 new apartment units brought online each year for the last 5 years.

There is at least 100 units under development at the moment (75 on Pine St, 15 at Cranberry and 2nd, and Pinnacle sold the old Fox Hotel, (old Santana's Restaurant) to Harristown for redevelopment).

Last edited by Young Gun; May 25, 2018 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 11:21 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
When is this going to start???
Next year I believe. Right around the time that the state Archives and Federal Courthouse get underway too.

Old Posted May 25, 2018, 12:38 PM

Downtown Harrisburg seems to have many of the ingredients for a vibrant downtown, but for some reason it's just kinda dead. Been that way for a long time now... too long. Things seem to be improving over the last few years though. I guess it just needs something to really give it a push... maybe the major university expansion can help do that.
  • Large employers (including state government, obviously)
  • Historic/cultural attractions
  • Restaurants/bars/hotels
  • Walkability
  • Beautiful riverfront/recreation
  • Adjacent residential neighborhood with high density and quality housing

Poverty and crime have worked against it... and I'm not sure that the city's demographics are improving from an economic standpoint or not. Vacancy seems to be rather high in some of the older office buildings -- residential conversion could be an answer there.

Also, a better connection with the riverfront is needed. N Front Street is a major physical and psychological barrier to that connection. It needs to be made two-way and needs to be transformed to more of a parkway, rather than a 3-lane highway at street level. And a much ore iconic connection to the riverfront at State Street is a must. I mean, this is pitiful for the street that leads from the river to our Capitol:

Old Posted May 28, 2018, 3:07 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Downtown Harrisburg seems to have many of the ingredients for a vibrant downtown, but for some reason it's just kinda dead. Been that way for a long time now... too long. Things seem to be improving over the last few years though. I guess it just needs something to really give it a push... maybe the major university expansion can help do that.
  • Large employers (including state government, obviously)
  • Historic/cultural attractions
  • Restaurants/bars/hotels
  • Walkability
  • Beautiful riverfront/recreation
  • Adjacent residential neighborhood with high density and quality housing

Poverty and crime have worked against it... and I'm not sure that the city's demographics are improving from an economic standpoint or not. Vacancy seems to be rather high in some of the older office buildings -- residential conversion could be an answer there.

Also, a better connection with the riverfront is needed. N Front Street is a major physical and psychological barrier to that connection. It needs to be made two-way and needs to be transformed to more of a parkway, rather than a 3-lane highway at street level. And a much ore iconic connection to the riverfront at State Street is a must. I mean, this is pitiful for the street that leads from the river to our Capitol:
Downtown won't have any new larger employers until it has more office space. Class A office vacancy is around 4%. B&C office space is getting converted to residential as it bring far higher prices.

As for demographics? If you are speaking of a rising income level, yes the city has been seeing slight upticks. Revenue has been rising over the last few years as tax assessments and EIT have risen.

I am not sure what a not dead downtown would consist of?

Old Posted May 29, 2018, 10:05 PM

all of these things will help.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 2:49 PM
somewhere in-between

Still no updates on the HU tower / selected winning proposal (that I could find). The University previously said they hope to have a final contract in place by June though, in order to begin detailed design and local approvals. So we should see something soon, right...?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:47 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Still no updates on the HU tower / selected winning proposal (that I could find). The University previously said they hope to have a final contract in place by June though, in order to begin detailed design and local approvals. So we should see something soon, right...?
One would hope? I'll have to ask around to see how its going. Everytime I come across the South Bridge I try to envision what it'll look like.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:53 PM
Man on a mission

https://theburgnews.com/news/a-livin...-redevelopment

This will be next door to the already announced 124 pine street. So the block will go from almost zero residential spaces to adding 70 units to the street.

https://theburgnews.com/news/apartme...other-projects

I've also heard that the Old Fox Hotel (last occupied by Santanna's Seafood Restaurant) will be converted into apartments. I don't believe it has been officially announced, but I was in a meeting where the information was shared.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Downtown won't have any new larger employers until it has more office space. Class A office vacancy is around 4%. B&C office space is getting converted to residential as it bring far higher prices.

As for demographics? If you are speaking of a rising income level, yes the city has been seeing slight upticks. Revenue has been rising over the last few years as tax assessments and EIT have risen.

I am not sure what a not dead downtown would consist of?
The list I referenced in my post above was what I feel downtown Harrisburg already has... meaning, it seems to have those main ingredients that make urban cores attractive/successful:

Large employers (including state government, obviously)
Historic/cultural attractions
Restaurants/bars/hotels
Walkability
Beautiful riverfront/recreation
Adjacent residential neighborhood with high density and quality housing

Yet it lacks the vibrancy that it probably should have.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2018, 12:47 PM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
The list I referenced in my post above was what I feel downtown Harrisburg already has... meaning, it seems to have those main ingredients that make urban cores attractive/successful:

Large employers (including state government, obviously)
Historic/cultural attractions
Restaurants/bars/hotels
Walkability
Beautiful riverfront/recreation
Adjacent residential neighborhood with high density and quality housing

Yet it lacks the vibrancy that it probably should have.
AH,

I would argue that it is vibrant during the day. At least in accordance to the number of people that are there at the time. In the evening the vibrancy largely moves indoors to the bars, restaurants etc. Streets that surround the residential clusters downtown seem to be a little busier.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 5:32 PM
Man on a mission

This is a double win. The building sat empty for a long time, being owned by the hospital and threatened for demo for a parking lot. Great to see it will make a comeback and the historic property will be saved.

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrist...tel-restaurant

Quote:
A small but historically important project.

That’s how CEO Brad Jones describes the plan by his company, Harristown Enterprises, to breath life back into the long-empty Fox Hotel in Harrisburg, located at the seam of the downtown and Shipoke neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 1:46 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
This is a double win. The building sat empty for a long time, being owned by the hospital and threatened for demo for a parking lot. Great to see it will make a comeback and the historic property will be saved.

https://theburgnews.com/news/harrist...tel-restaurant
Very good news! I always thought that building would make for a good residential conversion.

Interesting to see the going rates for units in HBG, my how the times have changed...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 4:56 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Very good news! I always thought that building would make for a good residential conversion.

Interesting to see the going rates for units in HBG, my how the times have changed...
Rental Rates have finally gotten to point were a developer can see a ROI on an investment and we're starting to see more interest in fixing up old places. Hopefully we never get into a speculative boom, but it is nice that older inventory is getting renovated and used up.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2018, 2:11 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Rental Rates have finally gotten to point were a developer can see a ROI on an investment and we're starting to see more interest in fixing up old places. Hopefully we never get into a speculative boom, but it is nice that older inventory is getting renovated and used up.
Very true. DT HBG packs a lot of punch for its smaller size but I can't imagine it will do well if rents get too high, will be an interesting balancing act (unless it really takes off of course but it needs more for that to happen).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:52 AM
Man on a mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Very true. DT HBG packs a lot of punch for its smaller size but I can't imagine it will do well if rents get too high, will be an interesting balancing act (unless it really takes off of course but it needs more for that to happen).
Well, I think rents self regulate. Midtown rents trend up with what ever the current rent goes for downtown, they are just a few hundred less a month. Everything is within pretty much the same walking distance.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2018, 4:22 PM

Penn State Health unveils sketch plan for West Shore hospital

Link:
http://www.cpbj.com/article/20180830...shore-hospital

Old Posted Sep 28, 2018, 12:16 AM

Harrisburg University pares back tower plan, construction still expected to exceed $100M

By Jason Scott

Quote:
The revisions to the plan will push what could have been a 36-story building with a price tag of $130 million to $150 million to a tower with 18 to 25 floors. Construction is still expected to exceed $100 million. The building will be at Chestnut and S. Third streets.
Even though the project got scaled back, this development will still have a significant economic impact on the city and the region. Additionally, an 18 to 25 story building at this location will still make a sizable impact on the skyline. Here is to hoping funding can be secured by the end of next spring

http://www.cpbj.com/article/20180927...to-exceed-100m

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations