HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 3:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

City of Moncton press release:

Building permits have strong finish in 2017; big projects still on the horizon
January 12, 2018

MONCTON – The City of Moncton broke another record for annual value of construction permits, and did so without the direct benefit of the Events Centre structure, which was included in 2016 numbers.

The year ending December 31, 2017 saw $243.4 million in building permits issued by the City of Moncton, up $1.7 million over 2016 figures. The trailing 10-year average rose by over ten million dollars to $177 million, ranging from a low of $128 million seen in both 2008 and 2015, to the 2017 high of over $243 million.

Commercial and industrial projects were strong through the year, coming in at $99 million or 41% of the total. While this is shy of 2016’s $162 million, it does beat that year’s values by close to $30 million when not factoring permits for the Events Centre structure. The largest drivers of this development included the Organigram facility expansion at $26.5 million, a new cold storage facility ($11.5 million), a new hotel off Mapleton Rd. ($10.5 million), and a new precision medicine lab on Providence St. ($7.9 million).

“We are very pleased with the strong and consistent level of growth that we are seeing,” explained Mayor Dawn Arnold. “The private sector continues to show tremendous confidence in Moncton, and we are working to keep this positive momentum going.”

Institutional permits came in at $76.9 million or 32% of the total, up more than three-fold from $17.5 million in 2016. Some of the larger projects driving this increase included $51.8 million from the new surgical suites at the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre, a $6.3 million renovation of the Federal building at 1081 Main St., and a $5.2 million renovation at Harrison Trimble High School.

Residential development represented 26% of the year’s total value at $62.7 million, up $4.3 million from 2016. Notable projects included the 55 Queen St. condo development valued at $21.9 million, 57 single unit homes valued at $10.3 million, 92 duplex units valued at $10 million, and 4 apartment buildings containing 191 units, valued at $14.7 million.

“We are finding a stride that seems to be working well on many fronts”, said Kevin Silliker, Director of Economic Development. “We continue to engage with our partners, and our clients genuinely appreciate being supported in a cooperative manner that gets them to a place where they can work at a strategic level.”

Several large projects have already been publicly announced and are expected to break ground in 2018, including The Junction Urban Village at Main St. and Vaughn Harvey Blvd., as well as the Hyatt Hotel adjacent to the Events Centre site.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 8:11 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a link to the pdf of the Greater Moncton Region Economic Development Strategic Plan, just released today:

http://3plus.ca/documents/3Plus_Plan...d=%5BUNIQID%5D

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:19 PM

In today's newspaper

Invitation to submit an expression of interest as to the availability of space for lease in Moncton, NB.

Public Works and Government Services Canada is asking interested parties to submit a response by Feb. 21, 2018, with respect to providing office space for lease in building in Moncton, for a term of 10 years commencing on or about July 1st, 2019.

Is this related to Fisheries and Oceans? Any ideas what this would be?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 3:32 PM

DFO is supposed to expand in a significant way, so I would not be surprised.
THough I thought they were just gonna build an addition on the building, not that they have much room to grow on Archibald St,/Universite Ave. or whatever that street is called today.
It would make sense to find space elsewhere, as they are moving some laboratories to Moncton, which don't have to go in the actual DFO building after all.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Flash Festival - downtown Moncton February 2-3rd. Should be interesting.

Video Link

This is what they have planned for Assumption Place:

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Flash Festival - downtown Moncton February 2-3rd. Should be interesting.

Video Link

This is what they have planned for Assumption Place:

Video Link
My understanding is like festival inspire, they will leave behind some permanent installations that the city can enjoy year round. Will be interesting to see what these look like.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 6:32 AM

Press Release - Greater Moncton business community teams up to take Regional Economic Development to the next level. http://3plus.ca/news/news-48

Communiqué de presse - La communauté d'affaires du Grand Moncton fait front commun pour stimuler le développement économique régional. http://3plus.ca/nouvelles/news-48

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 12:40 PM

Moncton is now on Google Earth 3

Google Earth has now added Moncton in 3D!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2018, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks! Will check it out.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 9:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here are some 3D Google Street View images I saved:

Downtown

Magnetic Hill

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:01 PM

I guess it says something that Moncton High is outside the boundary of the 3D rendered part of Moncton.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 1:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
I guess it says something that Moncton High is outside the boundary of the 3D rendered part of Moncton.
Indeed - Right out there by the Kent County line........

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 3:18 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Indeed - Right out there by the Kent County line........
Question how many parking spots are going to be at the new downtown arena ? I see the colesium right now has 1800 as per a cbc post on facebook, and did they decide if they are going to charge people to park ?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2018, 4:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
Question how many parking spots are going to be at the new downtown arena ? I see the colesium right now has 1800 as per a cbc post on facebook, and did they decide if they are going to charge people to park ?
There are a handful of on street metered spaces for handicapped people. Otherwise there is NO parking for the new events centre. It's up to you to find a safe parking spot in the core not patrolled by booters - good luck!!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 1:39 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
There are a handful of on street metered spaces for handicapped people. Otherwise there is NO parking for the new events centre. It's up to you to find a safe parking spot in the core not patrolled by booters - good luck!!!

That is weird you think they would have at least some parking. for the new events center. Even if you had to pay 3-4$ to park. Could be a turn off for some people from out of town who might want to come in and check out a wildcats game.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 2:42 PM

Check out the dedicated thread for the Events Centre; it's been non-stop chitchat about the parking quandary for, like, 2-3 months now.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blazer View Post
That is weird you think they would have at least some parking. for the new events center. Even if you had to pay 3-4$ to park. Could be a turn off for some people from out of town who might want to come in and check out a wildcats game.
They keep saying we have public transportation. But I don't want to be on public transport 2 hours to get there, and pay 30-35$ taxi to get back home for games.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 2:13 AM
Any where but Fredericton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
They keep saying we have public transportation. But I don't want to be on public transport 2 hours to get there, and pay 30-35$ taxi to get back home for games.

I go to a few games a year from Fredericton. Would be very hard to take a taxi. Unless I stay downtown for the night but I do t do that too often. I personally don't mind paying for parking. Just have it get downtown early enough to get a parking spot

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 3:09 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
I go to a few games a year from Fredericton. Would be very hard to take a taxi. Unless I stay downtown for the night but I do t do that too often. I personally don't mind paying for parking. Just have it get downtown early enough to get a parking spot
Yes. The downtown events centre is designed for a casual fan such as yourself. You're only coming to a few games per year, so you are more than likely to consider it a special event and go out to eat before the game. If you are able to arrive early (to go to the restaurant), then there should be plenty of paid parking options for you to consider. Just make sure your lot is clearly labelled as a public paid parking lot (no booters!!!!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
I'm a season ticket holder and you'll likely be interested in this communication we just recieved
I just received the e-mail for season ticket holders too. While the city has been ignoring us, it sounds as if Mr. Irving has been listening to our protestations loud and clear. A pass for seasons ticket holders ensuring parking privileges sounds like the way to go. Now all we need to find out is how much this pass will cost. $10 per night would be $340 per year (regular season only), which is too much. I doubt that the base would agree to much more than about $150 per year. We'll see.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 8:03 PM

Not sure if this has gone public, or not but there is a small but vocal group who seem to be against the NIMBY's here in Moncton. There will potentially be an attempt to call for lower taxes on expanding up instead of outHigher taxes on expanding out instead of up, and also a push to add density in downtown Moncton. I seen a facebook group where they where talking about this, and ent to grab screen shots only to have FB delete the group aparently they had some things there that broke FB ToS. Either that, or NIMBY's got mad, and false flagged the group as a hate group.

This comes at a strange time Since people where talking about a push for wooden structures to be from 3 to 6 floors in some parts of Canada, and on the 1st of this month the Economist added this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DPp2NcnTb0
on there Youtube page it talks about wooden skyscrapers, and how it would be posible with CLT (Cross Laminated Timber).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces