HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 1:22 AM

Elevators - Using the "Door Open" button vs. blocking the door sensor

I would like to know, is there any reason why in the United States, most people hold the elevator door open by blocking the door sensor instead of using the "Door Open" (<|>) button? It seems much safer to use the button especially if the doors are almost completely closed, reducing the risk of physical injury. In addition, there will be more width for additional passengers to enter. Furthermore, if the doors are held for too long, the elevator will go into nudge mode and will slowly close the doors regardless of whether or not the sensors are being blocked.

I wonder, why is this? I heard that in Japan using the "Door Open" button is the rule, rather than the exception.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; May 28, 2015 at 1:32 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 2:57 AM

My guess is that since most americans rarely use elevators, there isn't a big enough population of elevator-riders to have widely established elevator etiquette. I think it's the same for mass transit.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 5:42 PM

I think for most people it's just easier to stick an arm out than it is to find and press a tiny button. For example, if I'm entered an car and see someone coming behind me, I'll stick my arm out as I cross into the car and leave it there until the person enters. It's just easier than pushing the button. Also, the person can obviously tell that you're holding the car for them.

To echo what Jasoncw said as well, I feel like most people have no idea there even is a Door Open button or that it actually works (most are familiar with the Door Closed button and it's unpredictable operation)

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 6:23 PM
Frequent Lurker

I usually try to find the button when trying to hold the door open, but in my haste I sometimes hit the wrong one. Those little <||> >||< symbols can look unfortunately similar when someone's running for the door yelling "wait!". I can see why it might be easier just to shove your hand out the door. It also signals to people that you're trying to let them in.

Old Posted May 28, 2015, 7:56 PM

it looks way more manly to stick your arm between two giant metal doors than to push the little button.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture