HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 12:40 PM

Location: Edmonton,Alberta(work) St. John's, NL (where my heart is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
We live on an island, I don't understand your surprise in food prices.

That being said there is a definite gouge culture with respect to alot of things.

Resturant food quality is absolute garbage in this town.

I'd rather eat fast food 9 times out of 10 than buy from most local places.

That being said, we all knew a lull was coming. Bullarm-Long Harbor, were shorttime booms, we all knew weren't gonna last forever.

What's surpising and comforting is that the people assumed to be living paycheck to paycheck in the trades, are actually making rational decisions on there future.

Which is what I think is really causing this creep in the growth.

I'm just guessing but I've been hearing rumours of this kind of stuff from my pipe fitting-welding friends, ever since we got together thankgiving weekend.

Living on an island does not have to mean high food prices though. Yes I fully expected to see a modest increase in cost of eating back home versus out west however $12.75 for a locally grown, locally fed and locally produced and shipped Country Ribbon chicken is just plain bull shit, not to mention $4.77 for a 2l of milk, but yet if I wanted a 2l of Pepsi or Coke, I'd actually be paying the same on an island versus out west.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 PM

Even with all the turmoil with oil prices, the Conference Board of Canada is predicting that Newfoundland and Labrador will lead the province next year in economic growth.

Quote:
Resource-rich provinces expected to reap biggest economic benefits in 2015, Conference Board says

OTTAWA — Canada’s provincial economies should improve in the coming year — in particular, in terms of increased job creation and business investment — with resources-rich Alberta and Newfoundland and Labrador expected to reap the biggest benefits.

The Conference Board of Canada, in its fall provincial outlook released Thursday, said strong growth in the United States will also fuel expansion in this country during 2015.

Overall, the Ottawa-based think-tank estimates Canada’s gross domestic product — the broadest measure of economic activity — will pick up pace next year, rising to 2.6% from an expected 2.2% in 2014. “A stronger U.S. economic activity, coupled with a slightly weaker Canadian dollar will keep export activity humming in 2015,” it said.

Alberta and Newfoundland and Labrador will act as bookends to the Canada’s economy next year, supported by the energy sector, according to the Conference Board.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...ce-board-says/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2014, 7:13 PM

New $6.8M Research Facility for Engineering Building at Memorial

VOCM News
Dec 5, 2014
Author: Mike Lockman

Quote:
Memorial University is celebrating the opening of a $6.8-million Research and Development facility. The expansion will enable an increase in focused R&D performed in this province. VOCM's Mike Lockman has more.
One obstacle in Memorial's Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science up to this point has been lack of dedicated research space. This 1,320 square meter expansion to MUN's Engineering Building makes that a thing of the past. The $6.8-million facility was funded by the RDC and Suncor Energy and will employ 100 full time equivalent researchers. It is estimated the expansion will help grow the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science R&D by six to eight million dollars per year over the next five years.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...51220&latest=1

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 7:03 PM

Water

From VOCM:
Quote:
Mount Pearl's water consumption is up significantly, with higher usage than St. John's per capita, and about double that of Conception Bay South.

Mayor Randy Simms says he can't explain why this is occurring, but work needs to be done to get their numbers down. Otherwise, Simms says a consumption-based water system may have to be implemented.
St. John's supplies more than three times as much water for domestic consumption per capita as Charlottetown and more than twice as much per capita as several other Canadian cities. A lot of that water leaks away, but it's impossible to identify leaks without knowing how much water is making it to end users, so meters will be necessary to bring down consumption. With automatic meter reading, ongoing costs will be low. There's a strange notion in St. John's that old houses will be difficult to install meters in. Any house where this might be true would have a much bigger problem; namely, the lack of an accessible main shut-off valve near which the meter would otherwise be connected.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2014, 8:18 PM

I found it interesting that the consumption in St. John's decreased yet the cost increased significantly. If that added cost went to "plugging the leaks" then that might be one explanation. The cost of new water treatment facilities might be another reason why the costs have increased.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2014, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
From VOCM:

St. John's supplies more than three times as much water for domestic consumption per capita as Charlottetown and more than twice as much per capita as several other Canadian cities. A lot of that water leaks away, but it's impossible to identify leaks without knowing how much water is making it to end users, so meters will be necessary to bring down consumption. With automatic meter reading, ongoing costs will be low. There's a strange notion in St. John's that old houses will be difficult to install meters in. Any house where this might be true would have a much bigger problem; namely, the lack of an accessible main shut-off valve near which the meter would otherwise be connected.
I say install the water meters. It's only fair.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 3:18 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Province will reduce number of MHAs to 40 from 48 according to VOCM Open Line.

Curious to see how that shakes out. We don't have to worry too much about gerrymandering here because all regions tend to swing both ways but we have a very wide range of residents per district.

Labrador has four MHAs, for example, where a comparable region on the island would probably only have two. And the Avalon in general is not as represented as rural areas by per district numbers.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 4:06 PM

^ A great idea.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2015, 1:24 PM

The new 40 seat electoral map was released yesterday. The island will have 36 seats, 18 on the Avalon and 18 for the rest of the island.

I wasn't expecting to see much change for St. John's but there was a major shifting of boundaries. If these changes go through it could make the election even more interesting.

Here's the link with all the different maps. http://www.nledbc.ca/proposal

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
The new 40 seat electoral map was released yesterday. The island will have 36 seats, 18 on the Avalon and 18 for the rest of the island.

I wasn't expecting to see much change for St. John's but there was a major shifting of boundaries. If these changes go through it could make the election even more interesting.

Here's the link with all the different maps. http://www.nledbc.ca/proposal
From looking at the overlay maps, it appears that metro lost 2 seats (someone can double check as I may have miscounted).

Old Posted Apr 13, 2015, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
From looking at the overlay maps, it appears that metro lost 2 seats (someone can double check as I may have miscounted).
Two on the Avalon Peninsula I believe. The district of Killbride is now part of Waterford Valley and Ferryland. As well Carbonear-Harbour Grace doesn't exist anymore.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 2:12 PM

The City has projected $6.4M surplus for last year. http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...54198&latest=1

Where would you like to see the money spent?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:15 PM

One place I would NOT want to see it spent, and I’m sure people will call for it, is to add more to the snow clearing budget. Spending it that way becomes a one-time thing and only forces an expenditure to be kept up.
I would prefer to see SOME of it spent on lasting projects, perhaps pave the parking lot in Bowring Park, add some small “parkettes” downtown. The selfish me says spend it on road improvements.
There are a thousand ways to spend that kind of money, just don’t waste it because next year you may not have such a windfall.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
One place I would NOT want to see it spent, and I’m sure people will call for it, is to add more to the snow clearing budget. Spending it that way becomes a one-time thing and only forces an expenditure to be kept up.
I would prefer to see SOME of it spent on lasting projects, perhaps pave the parking lot in Bowring Park, add some small “parkettes” downtown. The selfish me says spend it on road improvements.
There are a thousand ways to spend that kind of money, just don’t waste it because next year you may not have such a windfall.
Totally agree with you. As with snow clearing, I think enough is being spent on road improvements. Not sure of the numbers, but as I understand there will be a massive amount spend on roads and infrastructure upgrades as it is.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Paul Davis announces 'generations fund' at election-style kickoff

Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Paul Davis unofficially launched the PC Party's election campaign Wednesday night at a fundraiser in St. John's, and he used the event to lay out a key promise.

After touting the party's successes with building communities and infrastructure in the province, Davis announced the creation of a new legacy fund that will be used to collect offshore oil revenues to protect the provincial treasury in the decades to come.

"We will present a plan that will rachet our deficit down, step by step, all the way to zero," Davis told the crowd.

"When we return to surplus, and we will return to surplus, then we are going to create something which I am calling a 'generations fund.'"

In this week's speech from the throne, the governing Tories said they intend to return to surplus budgets in 2020.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...koff-1.3045215

Old Posted May 13, 2015, 11:00 AM

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:40 PM

Company Turning WWII Bunkers into Data Storage in Argentia

VOCM News
Sept 25, 2015

Not really Economic news for St. John's but definitely for the Avalon region... and Argentia in particular.

Quote:
A Canadian data storage company is repurposing some very old property in Argentia. COO and Chief Strategist for Teslagistics, Allan Meiusi, told the Placentia Bay Industrial Showcase yesterday about their plans for WWII-era bunkers in Argentia.

Teslagistics has been called the greenest data storage company in Canada. Meiusi told the conference delegates that going green makes sense economically. He says the bunkers will be fixed up as data storage centres for government and corporations, but it's less work to fix than the company originally thought.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...57529&latest=1

I think this is a great business opportunity for the province. Everyone talks about diversifying our economy and lowering our dependency on oil... what a better way!

I think NL is strategically positioned to be a big player in housing and maintaining large data centres. 1) We definitely have the space; 2) our climate is ideal for cooling data centres; 3) Muskrat Falls (and potentially Gull Island) can provide clean, reusable power needed to run these centres; and 4) our geographical proximity to NA and Europe positions us well.

I'm sure there are tons of other regulations, laws, taxation, etc. that comes into play here, but I really think there's the potentially for such an industry in NL. Just my $0.02....

Old Posted Jan 25, 2018, 10:33 PM

Unhappy

Green Rock EV's appears to have gone out of business. In provinces and states with EV incentives, used electric vehicles can be had cheap. It's disappointing to see the supply here in town drying up.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2018, 11:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
VOCM News
Sept 25, 2015

Not really Economic news for St. John's but definitely for the Avalon region... and Argentia in particular.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...57529&latest=1

I think this is a great business opportunity for the province. Everyone talks about diversifying our economy and lowering our dependency on oil... what a better way!

I think NL is strategically positioned to be a big player in housing and maintaining large data centres. 1) We definitely have the space; 2) our climate is ideal for cooling data centres; 3) Muskrat Falls (and potentially Gull Island) can provide clean, reusable power needed to run these centres; and 4) our geographical proximity to NA and Europe positions us well.

I'm sure there are tons of other regulations, laws, taxation, etc. that comes into play here, but I really think there's the potentially for such an industry in NL. Just my $0.02....
How is the fibre situation off the island now?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPKE View Post
How is the fibre situation off the island now?
In context to what? I'm not 100% sure what you're asking? Is the fibre situation off the island a limiting factor here?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's