HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 15, 2006, 9:31 PM

Good news. I'm disappointed that we haven't heard more and the media hasn't been all over this. Maybe their rendering isn't ready yet and the final design won't be released for awhile longer.

Figures skyscrapercity is down again.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2006, 12:25 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Yeah, what's up with skyscrapercity? I feel like that songs says, "You left me, just when I needed you most!"

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 8:48 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Planned skyscraper moves ahead
Baltimore Business Journal - September 15, 2006

To passersby, it's the parking lot on the way to Camden Yards. To old timers, it will always be where the old McCormick spice factory used to spew its smells of cinnamon and spice into the air.

But if all goes as planned, the surface lot at 414 Light Street one day be Baltimore's tallest skyscraper. The Philadelphia developer trying to make that happen, ARC Wheeler, expected to close on the property by Sept. 15, said Partner John Voneiff. The company is buying the two-acre site from owner Central Parking to build a 59-story tower. Jeff Pacy, of Preston Partners, is representing ARC Wheeler in the deal.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 7:16 PM
Baltimore

That's all the article says? Hmmm, I think there will be more hype of it in the future...

I have called and tried to contact them a few times. They are not used to talking to the public I think. We will just have to wait a bit to hear something. In the meantime we should watch Baltimore's other projects move ahead..... sdeclue, you have any pics of current construction to show us over here?

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 7:38 PM

Nope. I haven't even been into the downtown area for a couple months now. However, there is an article on the Sun's Web site that was just posted an hour or so go announcing the official closing of the deal to buy the land for 10IH. No mention of renderings or designs though. It seems to me that the real estate market might have kept them from building higher.

It's still too early to say until we see the final design, but I think it will stay at 59 stories.

The story mentioned that they wanted to start construction this year but things fell back. However, they hope to start by the MIDDLE OF NEXT YEAR AND BE DONE BY 2010, which I think is a pretty sweet timetable.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 8:45 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

http://www.10rittenhouse.com/
There are suppose to be some renderings of 10 Inner Harbor there. I did not see them though.

Here's the Sun article:

Developer closes on Harbor tower site
Proposed structure would become city's tallest, include luxury condos, hotel
By Lorraine Mirabella
Sun Reporter
Originally published September 18, 2006, 2:06 PM EDT
A Philadelphia developer planning to build what could become Baltimore's tallest skyscraper closed today on one of the last undeveloped parcels along the Inner Harbor, site of the proposed $300 million tower of luxury condominiums and a boutique hotel atop street levels shops.

Developer ARC Wheeler finalized the purchase of the 2-acre site, once home to McCormick & Co. spice plant and now a parking lot, from seller Central Parking Corp., said attorney Jonµ Laria, whose firm Ballard Spahr represents the developer on the project.

Laria declined to reveal the purchase price.

Baltimore's design panel in February approved the concept of a glass skyscraper that would rise 59 stories and 717 feet on Light Street between the Hyatt Regency and Intercontinental Harbor Court Hotel.

The developer, a joint venture of Clifton, N.J.-based ARC Properties and Philadelphia-based Wheeler Brothers Holdings, had hoped to close on the property last spring and start construction over the summer on the project, tentatively dubbed 10 Inner Harbor. The building had been slated for completion by 2009. Laria said today that the company now expects to begin site work the middle of next year for completion in 2010.

"We really want to communicate to everybody that ARC Wheeler has tremendous faith in Baltimore and the market, and we would not have closed on the site if we didn't believe that we could build a first-rate signature project on what is, we think, the best site in Baltimore," Laria said.

Since ARC Wheeler announced its plans, other developers have unveiled proposals for mixed-use buildings that could rival the 10 Inner Harbor project in height. Potomac developer Richard W. Naing proposes a 60-story condo and apartment high-rises in the Guilford Avenue corridor downtown, and a second 60-story tower on Saratoga Street. And in Westport, Baltimore developer Patrick Turner envisions creating a second downtown along the shores of the Middle Branch, where he hopes to develop a $1.4 billion community with 2,000 homes, shops, offices and a hotel anchored by a 65-story skyscraper.

Sun reporter Jamie Smith Hopkins contributed to this article.

lorraine.mirabella@baltsun.com
-------------------------

btw, the BBJ article is longer, but I don't have an online subscription so I can't read the whole thing.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2006, 11:31 PM

I'm pretty happy with the news that they will break ground in mid 07, but I'm disappointed there are no renderings and there is no work that it will be taller. Do you still think it will be taller Steven?

Also, does anyone have any updates the Four Seasons, 300 E Pratt or if One Light Street is making any progress.

Skyscrapercity not working is killing me.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 1:56 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeclue
I'm pretty happy with the news that they will break ground in mid 07, but I'm disappointed there are no renderings and there is no work that it will be taller. Do you still think it will be taller Steven?

Also, does anyone have any updates the Four Seasons, 300 E Pratt or if One Light Street is making any progress.

Skyscrapercity not working is killing me.
Well, right now, considering the market, I'd be happy with it being 717 ft.
I'd love to see it hit at least 750 ft. though.

Four Seasons should break ground very soon. Probably early Oct. I'd guess. Hope so, anyway.

One Light Street seems to be a myth. As for 300 East Pratt Street, they said late this year they'd have renderings and other specifics.
Probably Nov. or Dec.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2006, 12:22 PM

Yeah it seems like there is no way it's going to get any taller. This could be a very exciting next couple years with Zenith, Hilton, Water Tower and the Vue all finishing up with 10 IH, 300 E Pratt, the Naing Towers, Westport, Four Seasons, Balloon Site and more Canton Crossing all ready start going up at around the same time.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 2:21 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Exciting times, indeed!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 4:46 PM
Baltimore

I still think 10IH will be taller. I think they (article) talked very little with the developer and used the old stats because the developer didn't give them new ones and writing an article about something that hasn't been written about in months, they needed to put some sort of numbers there so they put the old numbers. The news was mainly that they bought the land and so they maybe didn't even ask about 'new' numbers when they still have the old numbers. The one article that Steven put in the local thread has ARCWheeler saying that the market is great for what they are building and it is a much needed suply of those type of condos. Since the article says that I still think that they will build it taller. In addition, their website has it listed as a $360 million or $400 million investment ... and the article only says $300 million (the old number). Given all of these facts, I am lead to believe we should still see a 60+ story building close or hopefully above 800 ft. We just need to be patient and will hopefully see a rendering on Ramsa in the next few weeks.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 8:48 PM

That would be awesome. I'm greatly anticipating the renderings.

I think one of my frustrations is that it seems like while other cities were actually building their towers during the the real estate boom, Baltimore was just getting designs and plans laid out.

I think that has hurt us because now that real estate is lagging, lots of developers might choose not to build since they are still only in the design phase. It definitely gives them the option to pull out.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 9:34 PM

Not sure where this info should go (esp. since SSC is down), but per the BBJ Microsoft Corp. is now a member of the Downtown Baltimore Partnership and the Greater Baltimore Technology Council. One of the buildings will be adorned with Microsoft's rather familiar Windows logo. The article didnt give an address though.

Also, I think this was pretty much widely known, but PF Chang's made the offical announcement today. They're opening a 7K sf. resturant in Lockwood Place.

Thats all I got for now.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2006, 9:57 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Thanks, waj.

As for 10 IH, I e-mailed a rep and they said, "nothing has changed", so I guess that means, 59 stories and 717'.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 6:12 PM
Baltimore

That sucks Just because real estate is down in most markets doesn't mean it is for this one. Did they say why they didn't make it taller? Was it JV? the east coast rep? I was hoping to see 800 ft. Well it'll make Naing's job easier to have Baltimore's Tallest Building in that case.. hopefully in the next 6-12 months we'll get a solid proposal from him on 1 or 2 towers.

Well if 10 IH sells 'too fast' they'll be sorry they didn't make it taller.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2006, 6:16 PM
Baltimore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenW
Thanks, waj.

As for 10 IH, I e-mailed a rep and they said, "nothing has changed", so I guess that means, 59 stories and 717'.

They also probably didn't want to pay to have it re-designed and that also may have delayed it more. They probably need to start this thing so they may reap the profits to further grow their company and do more developments. So is the nature of this beast of this business.

BTW... what is / where is Lockwood Place? and what does ' 7k ' mean?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 1:55 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

7K means: 7,000

Lockwood Place is where the new Best Buy is Downtown/Inner Harbor.
500 east pratt is the official address I believe.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2006, 6:59 PM
Baltimore

Oh ok, That's a great spot for a PF Chang's. Yeah, that building is 500 east Pratt.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2006, 9:05 PM
Baltimore

Pics anyone?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2006, 2:23 AM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Sure, if you got some to share.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations