HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Also, what the hell is this bullshit? Alycia's covered up the atrium of the Royal Albert to try and keep sun out. Been like this for 2 weeks – disgusting the city/BIZ hasn't forced them to take it down yet.
flashback to everyone here getting excited about the royal albert's new ownership

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:24 AM

Quote:

Also, what the hell is this bullshit? Alycia's covered up the atrium of the Royal Albert to try and keep sun out. Been like this for 2 weeks – disgusting the city/BIZ hasn't forced them to take it down yet.

LMFAO they draped a TARP over the top? And it looks like it is being weighted down with a pile of bricks on the ground. This is just too much

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post

Meire Porto (@porto_adventures) on Instagram
Walked in the main door of the pumphouse today... pretty incredible. Really not looking forward to that awful entrance "decoration" they have planned. Just put a sign above the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
flashback to everyone here getting excited about the royal albert's new ownership
Think that steel door is a replica of the original?

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:44 AM

MONT-ARC on Instagram: “The Boyce [Lofts on Ross]. A 5 storey wood frame housing project that we think makes a pretty good neighbour in the exchange district

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:53 AM

^Boyce Lofts are being advertised on Kijiji. 1 BR starting at $1100, 2 BR at $1450. Will be a big test for that area to see if those prices can work.

Prices include all utilities and wifi. Gated surface parking available for $125, heated underground $200.

BUILDING AMENITIES
• Secure keyless front entrance system and garbage area
• Balconies on newer build units
• 24 Hour Gym
• Internet Provided
• Laundry (on site) with smart card
• Underground Parking
• Security Cameras
• Rooftop Patio

Photos of the 1BR are below. There's listings for the 2BR also, but they use the same photos.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-1-bedroom-ap...oom/1372492636

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
I didn't get excited about it. i knew the guy was a loser from the beginning.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 4:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Not everyone.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Anyone know what's going on here? It's the lot between the police garage and Peck Building. [Also – is the police garage going to remain here? Can't find anywhere better?]

That is the original Hydro transformer station. Not withstanding a new infastructure was build on ND, they are adding outside transformers in this location as well...

The interior components may still be active or perhaps will be retired. I'm unsure as to their ultimate fate at this time.

Last edited by Labroco; Aug 3, 2018 at 5:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Anyone know what's going on here? It's the lot between the police garage and Peck Building. [Also – is the police garage going to remain here? Can't find anywhere better?]

Police garage is now in the "new station basement" as far as I know.

It looks like to me that Manitoba Hydro is as posted above converting that side of the property to a DSC. (Distribution Supply Center.) DSC's are apparently the new way that MB Hydro is adding capacity by using self contained boxes instead of a steel or wood frame conventional station.

They did the same thing at the old St. James Terminal Station on Portage Ave when they started to move the load from that old building to the new terminal station a few blocks north on Madison.

There will be city work on the north lot after Hydro moves their laydown area as the city is looking at remediation on that section of land. There was a tender either late last year or early this year showing where plumes of contamination have been found. Most of them were not from city use of the land but from when there were small garages on those lots according to the documents I saw.

Last edited by cllew; Aug 3, 2018 at 7:36 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 8:41 PM

Love those places on Ross!! MORE PLEASE

Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 8:58 PM

On the hydro stuff – does that mean they are moving the contents of the brick buildings on King to the outside area here, or are they adding more. (ie: are any of these lots/buildings going to be freed up for development?)

I know nothing about how power distribution works... but wouldn't it have been better to just put everything in the new hydro station instead of taking up lots of prime lots?

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
On the hydro stuff – does that mean they are moving the contents of the brick buildings on King to the outside area here, or are they adding more. (ie: are any of these lots/buildings going to be freed up for development?)

I know nothing about how power distribution works... but wouldn't it have been better to just put everything in the new hydro station instead of taking up lots of prime lots?
The King ST #1 substation is obsolete and was replaced with the new one on Hargrave and Notre Dame. I would guess that they are putting in equipment to take power from the new station and redirect it to all the existing underground supply cables that ran to the old building.

The side facing Princess was Winnipeg Hydro offices and showroom on the main floor from when they sold appliances. That part of the building then made its way to City Signals then eventually to the Wpg Police garage and special unit offices before the big move to the "new" station.

The King street building has lots of Asbestos in it from what I have heard as all the old equipment used it for insulation in the breakers, switch gear and cable trays. It will take time and money to clean it out as the old equipment is dismantled and taken away for scrap. There is also probably a lot of Paper Insulated Lead Covered cable (aka PLIC) in there as well that will have to be dealt with.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
showroom on the main floor from when they sold appliances.
Just makes me go wow. How times have so dramatically changed.
Quote:
The King street building has lots of Asbestos in it from what I have heard as all the old equipment used it for insulation in the breakers, switch gear and cable trays. It will take time and money to clean it out as the old equipment is dismantled and taken away for scrap. There is also probably a lot of Paper Insulated Lead Covered cable (aka PLIC) in there as well that will have to be dealt with.
Major problems at that substation on Rover too. Going to take years.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 7:05 AM

Anyone remember watching this as a kid?

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 11:52 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
For Sale sign put up at the Pacific and Waterfront corner of the Great West Metal site.

To help confirm what at least one person had said earlier, the sign out front of Great West Metal now says "Conditionally Sold".

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 12:53 PM

Woodbine just did a fairly substantial reno in the bar. A while ago they took all the junk off the walls. They’ve now repaired and painted them all. Carpet all ripped up and brand new floors throughout. Tin ceiling has been completely cleaned and polished, and furniture upgraded. Looks great. I’ve said it numerous times before, but the Woodbine is far from the biggest issue in the area.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:09 PM
BANNED

It should be full of suits after work, hopefully one day.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
It should be full of suits after work, hopefully one day.
Gag..

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 3:27 PM
BANNED

Well not solely; a mixture of customers is always a good thing.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2018, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Woodbine just did a fairly substantial reno in the bar. A while ago they took all the junk off the walls. They’ve now repaired and painted them all. Carpet all ripped up and brand new floors throughout. Tin ceiling has been completely cleaned and polished, and furniture upgraded. Looks great. I’ve said it numerous times before, but the Woodbine is far from the biggest issue in the area.
It looks really good inside. And I agree it's far from the biggest issue. I keep on seeing people say "raise drink prices" but what's that going to do? Well for one it's going to result in more people drinking in back alleys, parks, stairways, etc. Besides, are the wealthy the only ones allowed to drink? A majority of the people aren't causing any issues, why should they be punished. Not to mention that a large number of the violent crimes committed in and around bars downtown are happening at clubs that DO charge $8+ for a drink on top of a cover charge, so clearly that isn't helping.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan