HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 7:54 PM

NYGuy, you still seem to be struggling to understand what an opinion is...yes, SOME might think the projection of the braces in the earlier renders is a distraction while OTHERS think it was an enhancement. There is no "right" answer. You have your own view and others have a different opinion of the superior aesthetic. Anyway, it's not worth continuing to go around the merry-go-round on this. Whether or not some of us preferred the projection, pretty much every agrees that this is a stunning building as is.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
People, if you can't handle your criticisms being criticized, then don't post them.

I'm glad you posted that. Does this building compare with 53w53 as it currently stands? Obviously not. Case closed, and thank you.
No it should be clear to you from the 1+ page of backlash (Much of which you've deleted) to your comments that your tone and vitriol isn't appreciated on this thread. Don't resort to personal attacks and lashing out at people's credibility if you can't take the fact that people disagree with you. I've watched this play out across multiple threads. Your comments add unneeded tension to what should be a lively discussion.

This is not appropriate behavior for the moderator of a discussion forum.
——

Regarding the cross bracing, and bringing this comment to be on-topic, I don’t think it was necessarily a value engineering on account of the price of the facade, It probably has more to do with building maintenance (cleaning, ice, pigeons), and maybe for letting more light into the units.

Also having watched that video from the previous page I will say having the air vents for each unit built into the mullion is really unique and cool.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 10:01 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post
Regarding the cross bracing, and bringing this comment to be on-topic, I don’t think it was necessarily a value engineering on account of the price of the facade, It probably has more to do with building maintenance (cleaning, ice, pigeons), and maybe for letting more light into the units.
That's a good point. The Hancock Center has major issues with ice falling in winter - they often have to close off the sidewalk so people don't get knocked out.

I think it's important to be able to be able to discuss all aspects of buildings here, whether we agree with each other or not. If not here, where else? It's okay to have different opinions on what makes a building iconic or what elements you find most important, etc.

That being said, I very much appreciate NYGuy's contribution to these forums. I think we could all sometimes maybe agree to disagree without getting so heated sometimes!

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
That's a good point. The Hancock Center has major issues with ice falling in winter - they often have to close off the sidewalk so people don't get knocked out.

I think it's important to be able to be able to discuss all aspects of buildings here, whether we agree with each other or not. If not here, where else? It's okay to have different opinions on what makes a building iconic or what elements you find most important, etc.

That being said, I very much appreciate NYGuy's contribution to these forums. I think we could all sometimes maybe agree to disagree without getting so heated sometimes!
Agreed, and NYguy's contributions in commentary, as well as combing through photos and articles and bringing them to the forum are invaluable to keeping these pages fresh, I don't mean to come off so harshly.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSsocal View Post

Also having watched that video from the previous page I will say having the air vents for each unit built into the mullion is really unique and cool.

I agree. No expense was spared here folks. The flush bracing was done for light and views.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 1:41 AM
Meh

The bracing definitely does make it more unique than it would have been without it, and it's unfortunate it isn't more noticeable - lending to more texture on the facade. The shape of this tower is amazing, but on a skyline as big and tall as New York's, even a good shape/silhouette isn't always enough to stand out. Besides, New York is a city best experienced up close. The dark facade means some of that bracing is going to go unnoticed, especially on the lower floors down in the canyon. The rendering seemed to indicate the bracing stepped out from the facade a bit, something that would have made it catch more sunlight.

I see the point about the bracing not being as prominent as some were expecting, but the thing to remember is that renderings are not always 100 percent accurate and the design can sometimes come out differently than one expected.

Anyway, this building looks awesome.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 8:51 AM
Mr. Technology

The genius of 53W53:
Video Link

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 10:21 AM

When you look at the interior renderings on pages like 6, 8, 11, etc. All of the cross bracing is within the superstructure of the building. That is from the very beginning and where are any interior shots that show that these aspects of the building are protruding from the facade?

It seems that the renderings showing protrusion of the diagrids from the building are the more skeletal and less complete renderings. Can someone show me a clear closeup rendering of the building with the full facade that show protrusion of the diagrids?

It seems like it was sort of portrayed in both ways. And while it looks great, I do think it would look better if they did protrude a bit, maybe just a foot or two. They seem to just fade a bit into the glass a bit otherwise. JMHO. It also would look even better taller and I have not forgotten the heinousness of Amanda Burden.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 4:21 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
When you look at the interior renderings on pages like 6, 8, 11, etc. All of the cross bracing is within the superstructure of the building. That is from the very beginning and where are any interior shots that show that these aspects of the building are protruding from the facade?

It seems that the renderings showing protrusion of the diagrids from the building are the more skeletal and less complete renderings. Can someone show me a clear closeup rendering of the building with the full facade that show protrusion of the diagrids?

It seems like it was sort of portrayed in both ways. And while it looks great, I do think it would look better if they did protrude a bit, maybe just a foot or two. They seem to just fade a bit into the glass a bit otherwise. JMHO. It also would look even better taller and I have not forgotten the heinousness of Amanda Burden.
Look at the past few pages of this thread.

And by the way - Yes, Amanda Burden made a mistake not supporting the original height of this tower but she actually did a ton for making New York into the amazing city it is today. She is the main reason there are so many new waterfront parks. Without her, the High Line might not have happened (and that spurred a lot of new amazing starchitect development in Chelsea and is part of the reason Hudson Yards is so beautifully connected with the parks and pedestrian circulation of the city). I think she gets a bad rap around here but she's actually a very interesting woman.

Old Posted May 8, 2018, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Look at the past few pages of this thread.

And by the way - Yes, Amanda Burden made a mistake not supporting the original height of this tower but she actually did a ton for making New York into the amazing city it is today. She is the main reason there are so many new waterfront parks. Without her, the High Line might not have happened (and that spurred a lot of new amazing starchitect development in Chelsea and is part of the reason Hudson Yards is so beautifully connected with the parks and pedestrian circulation of the city). I think she gets a bad rap around here but she's actually a very interesting woman.
I just looked though the last five pages and saw no renderings that conclusively show projecting diagrids. On one of them it looks like it from one side facing the viewer, but the side of the tower that is not facing the viewer definitely does not have protruding diagrids. I have seen no evidence of intended protruding diagrids.

*I don't care what she has done, Amanda Burden has not been forgiven. lol.

Most upsetting thing except for the cancellation of the Chicago Spire.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 10:24 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ yes its the original height and more delicate design that are the real loss for this building much more so than any extruding bracing, if it was ever truly considered. if we are going to wring hands over losses this design has suffered its by far the chop down. its still a swell, eye catching and noticable form, but you have to be nearby in midtown to really appreciate it. at least so far as of course we are still waiting to see how the crown resolves.

its pretty natural that this topic comes up yet again since we are getting so close to the finish line.

Old Posted May 9, 2018, 8:54 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 5:06 AM
World Machine

It may have taken a while, though it's a natural fit! I have the pleasure of walking by it on my way to work.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 9:29 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is one for the books. A new front cover for any architecture book. It just has that aesthetic appeal. A form that embodies the principles of good design.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 4:41 PM
New Yorker for life

This one is about a month old, but still pretty much where we are...

Eric Kilby

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 12, 2018, 7:33 PM
BANNED

The fade-to-gold is an incredible touch. It will always look like the sun is kissing it, even on a cloudy day.

I would love to see inside the top floor of the West setback once its complete. Can you imagine if it includes a 4 level, glass-enclosed, vaulted ceiling?!

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 2:55 AM
"Think about the Future"

For a mere $42,500,000 you can purchase the entire 62nd floor plate

https://www.53w53.com/availability

... watch out for those property taxes though.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 4:49 AM
Mr. Technology

Grand Piano in the Living Room?
The gym is nothing to write home about.
Tiny little desk in the Master Bedroom.
Where’s the office, movie theater & proper dining room?
Tiny kitchen table!

Nice views for 42m?
I get that on my iPhone.

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
Grand Piano in the Living Room?
The gym is nothing to write home about.
Tiny little desk in the Master Bedroom.
Where’s the office, movie theater & proper dining room?
Tiny kitchen table!

Nice views for 42m?
I get that on my iPhone.
Do you understand what a model floorplan is?...the actual buyer can furnish this place however they want.The kitchen table, desk, none of these things are real. At nearly 7,000 square feet, there is enough space to arrange these rooms pretty much however you want and make them whatever you want. Assuming these walls even exist as pictured (often something like this is delivered closer to raw space), they can be knocked down and put in. I'd take it!

Old Posted May 16, 2018, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Do you understand what a model floorplan is?...the actual buyer can furnish this place however they want.The kitchen table, desk, none of these things are real. At nearly 7,000 square feet, there is enough space to arrange these rooms pretty much however you want and make them whatever you want. Assuming these walls even exist as pictured (often something like this is delivered closer to raw space), they can be knocked down and put in. I'd take it!
Me thinks TechTalkGuy was in sarcasm mode.

And what would the Property Tax & Condo Fees be for such a domicile?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive