HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
So you basically want Los Angeles to look like this.

I remember this. What was this suppose to be again?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:

Don't invoke the ghosts of the past.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I remember this. What was this suppose to be again?
The "Angel City Project" by Brett-Livingstone Strong was designed as a landmark attraction and entertainment district.
Some people (very few) actually liked it. You can't argue taste but come on guys.

A lawsuit put an end to the project, once and for all.

Real DTLA Development Group

Last edited by black_crow; Dec 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
88 stories! So many towers in China go up to 88 stories, then they put a crown on the top. 8 is the ultimate! 2 8's is beyond ultimate! And they despise 4's, which is why, to cater to the Asians in Las Vegas, they've eliminated the 4's in the elevator banks at some of the hotels here, like the Palazzo/Venetian.

I rode one of those elevators once, and you "fly" from the 39th floor to the 50ths floor. No 4's as the Asians are leery of staying on the floors with 4's. And, the hotel is described as a 64 story hotel. Not so! 54 stories!

But then, we have our superstition with 4's as well. 1 + 3 = 4!

When they announced the Alon project for the Strip a couple of years ago (it was never built) there was to be 2 towers, one 17 floors and one 26 floors. I caught that one! 1 +7 = 8. 2 + 6 = 8!

Catering to the superstitious Asians!
Don't speak for all Asians; Filipinos, Indonesians, Malaysians... many other Asians too, don't give a flying turd about the number 4 or the number 8.

And if you notice, most high-rises in the US don't have a 13th floor. What up with that?

Funny, because when I went to Tokyo, my hotel had a 13th floor. I thought it was funny, because those random numbers are just so ridiculous.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 3:23 AM

Quote:

Brandon, I appreciate your humor, but all I said was a modest winged statue on top of the 88 story tower, maybe 20-40 feet tall, might be suitable. A statue the size of the figure of Wm. Penn on top of Philadelphia City Hall, something on that scale. Not necessarily an angel, although we are the "city of angels" after all and this project is "angel's landing". If not an angel, how about a "winged victory" ("Nike") figure or a female "Olympia" statue to honor the upcoming 2028 Olympics?

Even more than the statue, my main suggestion is that the tower should perhaps taper to a pointed top or crown, or at least include a spire taking the height to 1200-1250' or so. A new high point on the skyline. A 20-40' winged angel or "Olympia" statue on top would be the cherry capping the sundae.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 16, 2017 at 11:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 11:34 AM

Anybody think the new tax bill will impact California real estate? I hope the skyscraper boom continues, but messing with taxes (especially lowering the state and local tax deductions) might have an impact here. Will the wealthy choose to move out of CA to lower tax states like Texas to save on taxes? Maybe the low housing inventory will keep the boom going no matter what happens to taxes. We shall see in 2018.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 4:04 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Brandon, I appreciate your humor, but all I said was a modest winged statue on top of the 88 story tower, maybe 20-40 feet tall, might be suitable. A statue the size of the figure of Wm. Penn on top of Philadelphia City Hall, something on that scale. Not necessarily an angel, although we are the "city of angels" after all and this project is "angel's landing". If not an angel, how about a "winged victory" ("Nike") figure or a female "Olympia" statue to honor the upcoming 2028 Olympics?

Even more than the statue, my main suggestion is that the tower should perhaps taper to a pointed top or crown, or at least include a spire taking the height to 1200-1250' or so. A new high point on the skyline. A 20-40' winged angel or "Olympia" statue on top would be the cherry capping the sundae.
I think a winged statue like that would be perfect for the LA Olympics. But rather than holding a sword the Angel should be holding a flaming torch and the statue would be better as a large free standing structure placed above the official olympic stadium as the olympic torch. Maybe a good place would be the new Englewood stadium. Visibility under the flight path would be awesome. The LA coliseum would be a good location too because it would be away from the high-rises which would clash with the statue. Imagine the lighting, flames traveling up the wings, arms and onto the torch.

Brett's design looks like the Cardsian (SP?) home-world from Star Trek.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Brandon, I appreciate your humor, but all I said was a modest winged statue on top of the 88 story tower, maybe 20-40 feet tall, might be suitable.
Sorry, but I think that would look absolutely ridiculous.

Those things don't work for modern architecture. Leave it for buildings like "City Hall" in Philadelphia.
There is a good reason why architects spare us.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Anybody think the new tax bill will impact California real estate? I hope the skyscraper boom continues, but messing with taxes (especially lowering the state and local tax deductions) might have an impact here. Will the wealthy choose to move out of CA to lower tax states like Texas to save on taxes? Maybe the low housing inventory will keep the boom going no matter what happens to taxes. We shall see in 2018.
Mass exodus of the wealthy have been predicted for California for decades, it's not happened. It won't happen this time either, there are lots of reasons to live here as opposed to a low tax state such as Texas. I doubt it'll have much of effect on high end real estate, upper middle class properties on the other hand might be impacted.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicool View Post
I think a winged statue like that would be perfect for the LA Olympics. But rather than holding a sword the Angel should be holding a flaming torch and the statue would be better as a large free standing structure placed above the official olympic stadium as the olympic torch. Maybe a good place would be the new Englewood stadium. Visibility under the flight path would be awesome. The LA coliseum would be a good location too because it would be away from the high-rises which would clash with the statue. Imagine the lighting, flames traveling up the wings, arms and onto the torch.

Brett's design looks like the Cardsian (SP?) home-world from Star Trek.
I like the idea of the winged "angel" or "Olympia/NIKE"" figure holding a torch (with a bright light rather than a flame?). And why not at the top of the 88 story building? Perfect for the 2028 games.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2017, 11:20 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
And if you notice, most high-rises in the US don't have a 13th floor. What up with that?

Funny, because when I went to Tokyo, my hotel had a 13th floor. I thought it was funny, because those random numbers are just so ridiculous.
Century Plaza Towers (designed by a Japanese architect) have a 13th floor. I know because I work on it.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 5:25 AM

Quote:
. And why not at the top of the 88 story building? Perfect for the 2028 games.
That would be so cool!!

Old Posted Dec 17, 2017, 9:23 AM

Quote:
I like the idea of the winged "angel" or "Olympia/NIKE"" figure holding a torch (with a bright light rather than a flame?). And why not at the top of the 88 story building? Perfect for the 2028 games.
A bright light would be fine. I believe a symbol for the Olympics and Los Angeles should not compete with skyscraper. I'm thinking of something that would be too large to stand atop a skyscraper, something grand and dramatic that would represent the entire city and region. A smaller statue atop a skyscraper would be fine but less impactful.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:19 AM

There won't be a statue on top of it.

Not on that one and not on the next 100 skyscrapers in DTLA.
Why? Google -> Image -> Skyscraper = Your chances.

Not enough? Include the word statue.

You might find one in Gotham City, .. they didn't even like them there.

A more realistic option would be a lighted spire, but I doubt that we will see one.

Last edited by black_crow; Dec 20, 2017 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
There won't be a statue on top of it.

Not on that one and not on the next 100 skyscrapers in DTLA.
Why? Google -> Image -> Skyscraper = You chances.

Not enough? Include the word statue.

You might find one in Gotham City, .. they didn't even like them there.

A more realistic option would be a lighted spire, but I doubt that we will see one.
Why not? On top of the 88 story "Angel's Landing", perched securely on top of its spire or crown 1200 feet up, will be a 40 or 50 or 60 foot statue of a winged angel or goddess ("Olympia" or "Nike") clad in gold leaf holding aloft a torch, not with a flame, but a lighted rotating beacon visible for 60 miles on a clear night like the beacon atop the Eiffel Tower. Spectacular. Appropriate for the "City of Angels" and a 3 time Olympic City. Once again, WHY NOT??? Why can't architecture be fun? Everybody hated the Eiffel Tower & Transamerica Pyramid at first. Now they are beloved icons, and symbols of their cities.

Last edited by CaliNative; Dec 19, 2017 at 7:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 8:06 AM
Paramoderator

the angel statue idea is pretty stupid

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Why not? On top of the 88 story "Angel's Landing", perched securely on top of its spire or crown 1200 feet up, will be a 40 or 50 or 60 foot statue of a winged angel or goddess ("Olympia" or "Nike") clad in gold leaf holding aloft a torch, not with a flame, but a lighted rotating beacon visible for 60 miles on a clear night like the beacon atop the Eiffel Tower.

That scenario amused and scared me quite a bit.

I doubt it's the final design for the Angels Landing Tower, but I don't expect major changes.
There was a reason for the whole "selection process". Time will tell.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2017, 2:30 AM

“Everybody hated the Eiffel Tower & Transamerica Pyramid at first. Now they are beloved icons, and symbols of their cities.”

It is said Guy de Maupassant had lunch at the base of the Eiffel Tower everyday, so he wouldn’t have to look at it.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:20 AM

I definitely like an angel statue idea. That would be awesome.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:41 AM
Paramoderator

Regardless, there will never be an angel statue at the top of the Angels Flight development, so we should probably stop discussing it.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2017, 1:45 AM

I don't see the big deal in discussing it. There's no harm in it.

If not on top of the building, there should definitely be one somewhere. Great idea!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations