HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 4, 2018, 9:48 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I know its a picky subject, but the U.S. should increase how many immigrants can become legalized citizens per year. In otherwords, raise the cap.

Also, its a shame that the EB-5 program seems to be under attack. Yeah its pretty much paying or investing to get into the U.S., but hey... its not like the people who are doing it are bad for the security and well-being of the nation. Again, iffy topic, as some see it as a rich only program, but at the day, those investments do create jobs.

A lot of real estate in the Miami area is aided by EB-5. Even some projects up in the NE. It should be expanded.

Also, I think the immigration cap should be expanded, but prioritized based on factors. Household income, education, current job or not. Those that have great credentials should come here ASAP. I know that somewhat occurs as of now, but the selection process needs to be more vigorous and speedy.

Other countries economic misfortunes can be our benefit (U.S.). A brain-drain from other countries to here I view as a good thing from a productivity standpoint.

The U.S. could use a great immigration movement to boost its cities and culture even further. Unlikely in this administration, but desirable IMO.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Completely agree, for Latin Americans it's the best of both worlds: it's pretty much like home, but with the laws, business framework, mentality, etc. of the wealthiest country on Earth.

No brainer that it's the #1 destination on their radar by far.
Quite a few Brazilians settle in Cali as well, esp. L.A. area.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:05 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
Quite a few Brazilians settle in Cali as well, esp. L.A. area.
The East Coast has wayyy more, but here in California actually the Bay Area slightly more.

Brazilian Ancestry, 2016:
Bay Area CSA 10,120
Los Angeles CSA 8,831

It might have something to do with the Bay Area's large Portuguese population:

Portuguese Ancestry, 2016:
Bay Area CSA 47,058
Los Angeles CSA 16,618

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I can't deal with the humidity either. It's just gross. It's fine if you want to stay indoors all day, but you can do that anywhere.
The hottest day of my life was in Jacksonville, right on the ocean. I don't know how people do it, tbh.
Here it comes...

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 3:33 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

many of the wealthy turks are bailing out on turkey too because of erdogan. i read they have the largest known per capita exit of wealthy people lately. or until maybe now with brazil?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
many of the wealthy turks are bailing out on turkey too because of erdogan. i read they have the largest known per capita exit of wealthy people lately. or until maybe now with brazil?
There are lots of middle class Turks leaving too. Mostly to Western Europe, but a fair amount to North America.

Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn has added a ton of Turks in the last 5 years or so, including a new private Turkish K-12 school and a ton of restaurants and markets.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
Wow I'm so jealous of Florida with tons of gorgeous Brazilian women flooding in. I hope some of them realize San Diego has a decent Brazilian community and much better weather. Oh and for Jmanc better Tacos

What I have noticed is that the really beautiful women don't end up coming to San Diego, we get a couple but usually it is the type with the hot face not so great body or vice versa.
this is a disgusting post. maybe try not objectifying women, including those fleeing due to violence and economic circumstances in their home counties? its really not difficult. no one cares what you think of other people's looks or your opinion about the attractiveness of asylum seekers.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 9:21 PM

Anyone who claims asylum coming to the US from Brazil is degrading the term of asylum.

There is no civil war in Brazil and the economics are not as bad as noted in the media. Again, overly sensationalized.

Also, violence is extremely skewed towards members of gangs and people involved with drugs. For this kind of person, Brazil is very dangerous. For the average citizen, not so much.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2018, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Anyone who claims asylum coming to the US from Brazil is degrading the term of asylum.

There is no civil war in Brazil and the economics are not as bad as noted in the media. Again, overly sensationalized.

Also, violence is extremely skewed towards members of gangs and people involved with drugs. For this kind of person, Brazil is very dangerous. For the average citizen, not so much.
Aren't the vast majority of people seeking asylum in the U.S. from Latin American countries claiming either street or domestic violence as the reason?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Yes, there's variability within Central America but Panama and Costa Rica are still very poor and non-transparent compared to the U.S. They don't have comparable schools, hospitals, services, etc. It's still the developing world.

It isn't obvious why wealthy Brazilians would migrate there if they had an opportunity to go to the U.S.
It seems like Sao Paulo has a comparable homicide rate to Panama, Costa Rica and Miami actually. Even Rio is not that bad and has improved compared to the smaller and mid-sized Brazilian cities. The cities south of Colombia (other than Brazilian) seem to have reasonable homicide rates, at least not significantly worse than in the US.

I would be curious to know where those that are denied immigration into the US go.

Last edited by memph; Aug 16, 2018 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
It seems like Sao Paulo has a comparable homicide rate to Panama, Costa Rica and Miami actually. Even Rio is not that bad and has improved compared to the smaller and mid-sized Brazilian cities. The countries south of Colombia (other than Brazilian) seem to have reasonable homicide rates, at least not significantly worse than in the US.

I would be curious to know where those that are denied immigration into the US go.
There was just an article in the Miami Herald on Venezuelans, who in the past have always wound up in Miami, winding up in Scotland of all places now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:19 PM
Go Beavs! Go Niners!

@ memph, "I would be curious to know where those that are denied immigration into the US go. "

Not exactly sure but outside of the US, Europe is quite popular for Brazilian ex-pats. The UK, especially London has become a very popular destination, countries like Spain, Italy, Germany, Portugal and France in Europe have all seen increases in immigration from Brazil as well as locations closer to home like Paraguay.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions