HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 3:48 PM
City Maker

Competing with Calgary: A Tale of Two Cities

Competing with Calgary: A tale of two cities
Canada's most dynamic business centre has overtaken Vancouver

Friday, July 25, 2008
Vancouver Sun
Dan Cayo

CALGARY - This city's magnificent strength is splayed out for all to see when you step onto the observation deck of the Calgary Tower - a 40-year-old, 191-metre landmark on the city's skyline. But so is its significant weakness.
Calgary's strength is the small but dense forest of construction cranes and office towers that you see just to your left as you step off the elevator.
These towers are nearly all new, and chock-a-block with workers who, if they aren't one of the bosses in a fancy office, are apt to be shoe-horned two or three to a cubicle. For this is the pulsing heart of the most dynamic business centre in Canada, one that is starting to find an increasing role on the world stage.

The city's weakness? It is, to be fair, perhaps more evident to a visitor from Vancouver than to those who come from any of the more homogenized North American cities. But to my eyes, it's manifest in the flat skyline everywhere you look except for that narrow arc of downtown. For the most part, this is just another sprawling, single-storey city with lots of pleasantly tree-lined streets, but little in the way of eclectic, energized neighbourhoods that create an urban buzz.

Because, when it comes to building a vibrant place in which to work versus one in which to live, Calgary and Vancouver are polar opposites.

In business, we in B.C. can only envy - we sure haven't figured out how to emulate - what the Albertans are doing. To illustrate the scale of the difference, consider that Calgary has 10 million square feet of downtown office space at some stage of construction - half of Canada's total - while Vancouver has none.

But it's vice versa when it comes to creating a livable urban core - something Vancouver excels at, but Calgary has barely begun to recognize as a goal worth tackling.

If either of these cities ever manages to meld the other's strength with its own, holy moly, what a place it will become.

So, I wondered as I strolled the streets and chatted with Calgarians during a recent visit: What's the magic they have that we don't?
When I voiced this question, most residents responded with a where's-your-turnip-truck stare and a single word: Oil.

Well, yes. B.C.'s petroleum patch may be a big deal to us, but Alberta's is much bigger. They've also been exploiting theirs a lot longer and, even before energy prices went stratospheric, it produced billions and billions and billions in both profits and government revenues. Which is handy when you're looking for a big pile of money to invest.

But Calgary's success is based on more than oil. While all 10 of the biggest (by 2006 revenue) companies head-quartered in the city are all in the petroleum business, seven of the next 10 are not. They include Nova, Agrium and Dow in chemicals, ATCO and TransAlta in utilities, Canada Safeway in groceries, and Canadian Pacific in transport.

A little farther down the list you find sizeable companies like Shaw and Corus in media, Fording in mining, WestJet in airlines, Fluor in engineering, Liquidation World in merchandising, Sovereign in insurance, Royal LePage in real estate, and Jim Pattison in leasing. Plus many more in manufacturing, computers, etc. etc.

As a magnet for new head offices, Calgary leads Canada by the proverbial country mile. It's total went from 68 in 2002 to 109 in 2006 - an astonishing 60.3-per-cent increase, almost three times the pace of second-place Edmonton. And the areas of growth were in things like communications and financial services, not just energy.

Vancouver didn't exactly snooze during this period, but we still managed to lose, at least in relative terms. We went from 74 head offices (six more than Calgary) in 2002 to 80 (29 fewer) in 2006. But that's still a much better record than Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal, which all lost ground.
So back to my question: What, besides oil, does Calgary have that Vancouver (and those other Canadian cities) doesn't?
My first instinct was to look at policy differences, and at costs such as taxes. Certainly, Calgary had a long-time advantage in income tax, although B.C. recently undercut it for low- or middle-income earners. And Calgary has caught up to, in some areas surpassed, Vancouver's sky-high real estate and construction costs.

Municipal taxes are hard to compare because they're applied so differently. But on overall tax, utility and maintenance costs for quality space in downtown, Calgary comes out only a little ahead - an average of $15 per square foot per year, versus $16-$17 here.

According to Bruce Graham, CEO of Economic Development Calgary, the more important advantages are more subtle.

The first thing he notes is that Calgarians love to win, and they applaud business successes. This attracts the players who also like to win, and it gives them encouragement to go farther and faster.

Calgary's downtown is very compact, made even closer-knit by a spiderweb of overhead walkways and underground passages that, combined with free transit through eight blocks of the city centre, facilitate networking. As does the city's intense degree of volunteerism and its spirited social scene.

All of which not only feeds upon, but also fuels, the all-important momentum - the pervasive feeling that pretty well anything can be done here, and a good many things will be.

Not to mention the network of support services - some highly technical like engineering and law firms - that sprang up to meet the needs of the first head offices to locate here, and have grown to accommodate those that continue to come.

I have my own theory on how this momentum got started, and why it took root here rather than some other town - specifically, Vancouver.

Several people I talked to, Graham among them, cited former Premier Ralph Klein's laissez-faire capitalism as a big initial draw that appealed to the kind of people who decide where head offices should go.

Klein's basic view was that government's job is to stay out of the way, a philosophy that endeared him to a great many business leaders.

But in addition to the pull of Klein's appeal, there was also a push from us.
Vancouver - logically the main Western competition as a location for a corporate base - carried extra baggage throughout the '90s, the period when Calgary was really building up its head-office head of steam. While they had red-necked Ralph in charge, B.C. had its succession of pinko premiers - Mike, Dan, Glen and Ujjal - none of whom ever quite cut it with the business crowd.
But if Ralph Klein's open-for-business attitude helped to build the corporate presence in Calgary, his legacy isn't universally seen as an asset in keeping it.
Graham notes gloomily that this legacy includes things like truncated social services, which after years of little attention from the provincial government are sorely strained to cope with the influx of new Calgarians.

Todd Hirsch, formerly a senior analyst with the Calgary-based Canada West Foundation and now senior economist at ATB Financial, goes further in condemning what he sees as the neglect of some key sectors during the Klein years.

"They didn't plan for and invest in future requirements," he said, citing everything from the over-crowded and under-equipped C-Train network that brings commuters to the city centre, to facilities for the arts. And those chickens, he says, are coming home to roost.

"We're not competing any more with Medicine Hat and Lethbridge," he says, cutting to the chase on what almost everyone agrees is Calgary's biggest problem - an acute skills shortage not only in areas like construction, where many migrants can do the job, but in arcane specialties and professions.
"We're competing with places like Barcelona, and other world cities. And we can't do it with just a rodeo and good fly fishing."

Hirsch acknowledges that the new premier, Ed Stelmach, is putting more resources than Klein ever did into the kinds of things that make a city livable, if not great. And the city has a fledgling high-density, pedestrian-friendly neighbourhood, the Beltline, developing just south of downtown, complete with a trendy neighbourhood shopping district on 17th Ave. This former warehouse district already has a solid base of condos, and up to 8,000 more units are planned, some with approvals in place and others not much more than a gleam in a developer's eye.

But Hirsch still thinks Calgary in general - not just the provincial government - tries to do amenities on the cheap.

A case in point, he says, may be the 58-storey HQ that EnCana has a-building. It is to be the largest structure in Western Canada, it's height dwarfing even the iconic Calgary Tower, although it's still just a two-city-block hole in the ground.

The plan for the building is a striking design that has won accolades, and everyone else in Calgary seems eager to show it off to me. But Hirsch says penny-pinching is whittling down its potential grandeur, with economies such as cutting back on a soaring atrium in order to squeeze in more office space.
"So what was supposed to be a remarkable building is now going to be a tall building.

"And that's sort of the story of Calgary. We're like a gawky teenager making some bad choices. ... And we're not building for the next 100 years."
Maybe so. But, whether lofty or prosaic, Calgary is building. Lots of stuff. Fast.

dcayo@vancouversun.com
Visit Don Cayo's blog at www.vancouversun.com/blogs

CALGARY
Head offices
2002: 68
2007: 109
+60.3%

Head office employment

2002: 16,167
2007: 20,175
+24.8%

VANCOUVER
Head offices
2002: 74
2007: 80
+8.1%

Head office employment
2002: 14,515
2007: 17,852
+23.0%

-------------------

So, what does everybody reckon? Personally, I think he is onto something very important here. It closely relates to what will probably be my master's thesis, planning cities as spaces for people and their places. I'll start tackling the issue of the need for more socially sustainable urban planning from a transportation angle, moving away from the emphasis on how to move people between their places using the private-automobile (i.e. increasing traffic flows) in planning. However, in his article Cayo tackles it from an angle that questions the emphasis in urban planning that we are placing on the economy in sustainability. With the help of Mr. Hirsch, an economics instructor at the U of C no less, he reminds Calgary that sustainability includes social elements/factors and responsibilities.

A comparison that I usually make with Europe and North American is fitting for a discussion involving Calgary and Vancouver. In Calgary we plan for a local lifestyle where people "live to work", while in Vancouver they plan for a local lifestyle where people "work towards living".

Btw, props to Hirsch for bringing the Bow into this article. He is truly one of the coolest instructors at the U.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:01 PM

Great article, the author touches on a lot of the negatives of Calgary, but doesn't dwell on them like the eastern media seems to only do when they do a piece on Calgary. The Calgary Vancouver comparison is well grounded, and I especiall liked the part where he says "If either of these cities ever manages to meld the other's strength with its own, holy moly, what a place it will become" which I think is absolutely true.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:02 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

At first I was quite worried about the tone of the article. I was very relieved to see the author took some time to realize what we are doing right, particularly by mentioning the Beltline and the heavy urbanization occuring there.

The part about the potential of The Bow being whittled away somewhat by the changes was very good. More people may hear about it and the next time we have a chance to keep a structure built in its original state we may see it actually come to fruition.

^^^ You put it into words better than me Johnnyc. He balanced comments like "red necked Ralph" with "pinko premiers" for what they were dealing with! That balance is definitely something we haven't seen in the majority of articles about our city, it is really quite refreshing and mature to see.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:07 PM
City Maker

You're bang on Johhny, it's not bashing but rather constructive criticism tempered with the admittance of flaws in his city. The comment about the combining what both cities are doing correct was also some interesting food for thought.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:14 PM

Very interesting and balanced article. And I note with great pleasure that they applied the "most dynamic" label to us.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:16 PM
not a NIMBY

Interesting article, but it doesn't say anything new. The head office employment numbers are not so different between Calgary and Vancouver, but I would think the downtown total employment numbers would be very different between the 2 cities - doesn't Calgary have something like 110,000 people employed downtown?
Vancouver is building a downtown catering to the cruise ship industry which means there will be lots of jobs for service people in the new Shangri-la for example, whereas the office buildings going up in downtown Calgary will employ higher paid, better educated, and more skilled workers than a hotel would which will generate much more economic spin-offs for the local economy.
Also Novachem moved their head office to Pittsburgh years ago.
Corus is really based in Toronto, and Liquidation World moved their head office to Ontario.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 4:48 PM
Round Head

Quote:
But it's vice versa when it comes to creating a livable urban core - something Vancouver excels at, but Calgary has barely begun to recognize as a goal worth tackling.
This quote was something that really didn't resonate. Although the fruits of current labour going on to try and create a liveable urban core are only just emerging, there is definitely not a lack of a 'goal' to make that happen.

I think the article would better be served by outlining the efforts that are happening to try and right this wrong. They touch on condos in the Beltline briefly, but really there is a lot more than that going on to competely remake Calgary's centre. They could have even interviewed their (vancouver's) current head of planning Brent Toderian, who before his current job, was the head of Centre City Planning in Calgary to find out what is really going on.

In addition to crazy construction, initiatives like the Centre City Plan, Stampede Expansions, parks renovations, Railtown, Eau Claire projects (market, Anthem, Concord), Riverwalk, Bow River bridges, East Village, 7th ave rejuvination, the public art initiatives etc are current efforts that are going to make a huge, huge difference in 5-10 years. In addition to those, future initiatives we know about like a new central library, a possible glenbow art gallery, urban campus will further add to livability. There's also a lot of effort outside the core too, including major TOD initiatives, LRT expansion that will also change the perception of the city.

I understand the angle of the article though. A lot of these things are not evident yet, or are early in their development. I suspect in 5-10 years, once all these thing are much more complete or underway, articles will be coming out that do say how well Calgary has achieved urban livability and become a major business centre. I do think Calgary has to become more aggressive with investment into improving the public realm (refurbishing streetscapes like 8th street, 11th and 12th aves etc) and increase investment in cultural infrastructure.

Indeed, "holy moly, what a place it will become"

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 5:16 PM

^Maybe you should write the author.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 5:25 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Wow, if we can manage to keep this civil, and not turn into a vs thread, kudos all around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
In Calgary we plan for a local lifestyle where people "live to work", while in Vancouver they plan for a local lifestyle where people "work towards living".
While I'm sure we all know a workaholic or six in Calgary, I'm not so sure this is entirely accurate overall. Most folks I know "work towards living" - the difference is, our "living" does not consist of the usual things that urbanists tout as being important.

Calgary is chock full of people who spend a tremendous amount of time away from work - just not necessarily in the city. Witness the insanity that the mountain parks have become in the past few years.

I'm no slave to my desk, and just because I don't go to the local bars/theatres/random street merchant does not say otherwise. I just spend my time and money on other, non-urban things.

That being said, when I occasionally AM in the mood for the urban experience, I won't argue that Calgary often lacks. The difference in downtown nightlife between an average weekend, and this past (as the folk festival let out) is amazing.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 6:03 PM
HVAC guru

This is the article in a nutshell

Quote:
In business, we in B.C. can only envy - we sure haven't figured out how to emulate - what the Albertans are doing. To illustrate the scale of the difference, consider that Calgary has 10 million square feet of downtown office space at some stage of construction - half of Canada's total - while Vancouver has none.

But it's vice versa when it comes to creating a livable urban core - something Vancouver excels at, but Calgary has barely begun to recognize as a goal worth tackling
Of course this is hardly news.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 6:22 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
While I'm sure we all know a workaholic or six in Calgary, I'm not so sure this is entirely accurate overall. Most folks I know "work towards living" - the difference is, our "living" does not consist of the usual things that urbanists tout as being important.

Calgary is chock full of people who spend a tremendous amount of time away from work - just not necessarily in the city. Witness the insanity that the mountain parks have become in the past few years.

I'm no slave to my desk, and just because I don't go to the local bars/theatres/random street merchant does not say otherwise. I just spend my time and money on other, non-urban things.
Actually, I'm pretty confident that the majority of Calgarians are indeed living to work. If they were intent on working towards living they would require different urban environments; even if they were to participate in non-cosmopolitan urban, and even regional, activities. Our mountain parks are usually buzzing with locals but that's usually only on the weekends. One of the things that I noticed last month during my trip to Europe was that in those cities as many people were in the parks and playgrounds during the week as on the weekends. If there was a difference it would be that during the week the parks, playgrounds, and pedestrian streets would be near full or at least busy and on the weekends they would be crowded/full.

It is not that Calgarians are not hitting the clubs en masse but they do not seem to be engaging in non-cosmopolitan activities (eg. going to local parks or playgrounds with their children), or even those typical cosmopolitan urban activities (eg. clubbing) during the week. Why? Probably because they are chained to their desk.
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 6:51 PM

Yeah, no kidding. If Calgary and Vancouver ever melded into one city, what a place that would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Great article, the author touches on a lot of the negatives of Calgary, but doesn't dwell on them like the eastern media seems to only do when they do a piece on Calgary. The Calgary Vancouver comparison is well grounded, and I especiall liked the part where he says "If either of these cities ever manages to meld the other's strength with its own, holy moly, what a place it will become" which I think is absolutely true.
For the most part the article is bang on. I disagree somewhat about Calgary not having a goal for a livable urban core. We aren't where we want to be, but we are definitely working on it. Calgary's core is already showing signs of greatness, and we've still got more coming.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:00 PM

Quote:

It is not that Calgarians are not hitting the clubs en masse but they do not seem to be engaging in non-cosmopolitan activities (eg. going to local parks or playgrounds with their children), or even those typical cosmopolitan urban activities (eg. clubbing) during the week. Why? Probably because they are chained to their desk.
I'm not sure it's much different in Vancouver. Places like Surrey and New West, Richmond etc, are not that much different than the Calgary suburbs.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:12 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Let's chalk this one up to a difference of opinion over what "living" constitutes, and leave it at that. Most white collar folks (and, for that matter, blue, which can just as easily become workaholics) that I know work a 40 hour week, period.

You may not be aware of what they're doing outside of those hours, but it ain't work.

You might have a good argument that Calgarians are a bit more anti-social than in some cities, as much of this time involves TV/Internet/movies/shopping/personal hobbies - but it certainly isn't work. People working much over 40 hours a week here are by far the exception, except maybe the schlubs in Banker's Hall.

Not clubbing on a Wednesday night != chained to a desk. It's more of a realization that some lifestyles aren't sustainable once you get old or uncool enough. That, and actually making it to work on time every day is important. If that's "chained to my desk", then I'm guilty as charged.

Edit: actually, I'd suggest that plenty of people in this city are "chained to their children". Far too many young couples are spending every waking hour (outside of work) constantly shuttling their children around to various things. No one seems to be able to just relax and enjoy life anymore; we always have to be "doing something meaningful with our time" - and we happily project this onto our children.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:21 PM

I work a 35-hour week, and indeed most others I know work 35-40 hrs./week. I don't go clubbing on week nights because I got the hung-over-at-work thing out of my system in my 20's, and I have a young family. I still find time for camping and hiking, as well as more urban pursuits like going to the gym, movies, going out for dinner, having a drink after work with friends, etc. I don't find my life here all that dramatically different than that of friends and relatives who live in other cities, be they bigger or smaller ones.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:23 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

You guys are making me jealous, I'm averaging a 55 hour work week.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:37 PM

I work just under 40 hours a week (except when I have a deadline on a project) and that is at a very busy Architectural firm. After work, I usually go to a pub for some beers and a bite to eat. On weekends I like to go down to Prince's Island and throw a football around with friends. If that is different than what a 25 year old in Vancouver does, I would be interested to hear how.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:43 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
You guys are making me jealous, I'm averaging a 55 hour work week.
Yikes. I hope you get compensated for that (hourly pay, time off in lieu, something). Even in pro-corporate Alberta, free overtime is against the law for most workers.

I have a buddy who works his arse off all summer. 10-12-15(!) hour days, 6-7 days a week, for 5 months. He then spends the other 7 goofing off, with at least 4-5 months in exotic locations, partying it up. Yeah, he's a workaholic during the summer. Not exactly what I'd call "living to work" by any means, however. I think he's been to downtown Calgary once.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
If that is different than what a 25 year old in Vancouver does, I would be interested to hear how.
I'll say one thing about Vancouverites - a TON of them hang out in the park/beach type areas that surround the downtown core. All week long. Usually just sitting there reading a book, but I guess it counts as "going out". Calgary doesn't have as much of this although the jogging paths down memorial are usually pretty busy most evenings. Calgary also has winter which makes this sort of activity impractical for 2-4 months anyway.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2008, 7:51 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Yikes. I hope you get compensated for that (hourly pay, time off in lieu, something). Even in pro-corporate Alberta, free overtime is against the law for most workers.
I am compensated, but the hours are just the nature of my job and position. Any of our employees that are putting in overtime are paid for it as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy