HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: What age range do you fall
<20 0 0%
20s 14 13.59%
30s 31 30.10%
40s 23 22.33%
50s 23 22.33%
60s 10 9.71%
70+ 2 1.94%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 8:12 PM

How old are you?

Did this thread 5 years ago, curious as to how the demographics have shifted. Seems things have been getting quieter.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Did this thread 5 years ago, curious as to how the demographics have shifted. Seems things have been getting quieter.
Do you have a link to the poll from 5 years ago?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Do you have a link to the poll from 5 years ago?
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=237264

Old Posted Jan 9, 2024, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Cool thanks!

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 5:13 PM
jammon member

I've definitely noticed a shift and a lot of the people I remember as being frequent posters are all gone. I spend a lot less time here now that I have two jobs- I login just to keep up with what's happening around the city and the province.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:49 PM

I'm 33, and while not exactly young, I'm clearly on the younger end of the spectrum when it comes to this forum. So if I can put on the hat of "young person" for the purposes of this discussion, I'll put it bluntly: forums are dead.

Prior to social media, forums were an integral part of the internet. I'm just old enough to remember that age. I used to be a daily user on a MuchMusic Forum where in-depth discussions of all genres of music were had. The average age there must have been around 20. I learned more around punk, metal, alternative, and indie, from that forum, than anywhere else.

Where is it now? Who knows. Some tech dev probably noticed a while back that it was costing too much to run and deleted it. When facebook went mainstream, between about 2006-2010, the decline of forums began. Most forums are now long gone and those that remain are collecting cobwebs.

Ironically, facebook groups (which largely replaced forums for the younger gen) are no longer considered cool and are rapidly aging as well. Now, most young people find communities in places like discord chats, subreddits, or other places that I'm probably too old to know about.

The desire to connect and build communities is still there. And honestly, with so many people tired of social media, if forums really modernized they could possibly make a comeback. But it's not going to happen with confusing photo posting tools and "Smilies" that haven't changed since 1996.

And so the decline of communities like skyscraper page will likely continue.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
I'm 33, and while not exactly young, I'm clearly on the younger end of the spectrum when it comes to this forum. So if I can put on the hat of "young person" for the purposes of this discussion, I'll put it bluntly: forums are dead.

Prior to social media, forums were an integral part of the internet. I'm just old enough to remember that age. I used to be a daily user on a MuchMusic Forum where in-depth discussions of all genres of music were had. The average age there must have been around 20. I learned more around punk, metal, alternative, and indie, from that forum, than anywhere else.

Where is it now? Who knows. Some tech dev probably noticed a while back that it was costing too much to run and deleted it. When facebook went mainstream, between about 2006-2010, the decline of forums began. Most forums are now long gone and those that remain are collecting cobwebs.

Ironically, facebook groups (which largely replaced forums for the younger gen) are no longer considered cool and are rapidly aging as well. Now, most young people find communities in places like discord chats, subreddits, or other places that I'm probably too old to know about.

The desire to connect and build communities is still there. And honestly, with so many people tired of social media, if forums really modernized they could possibly make a comeback. But it's not going to happen with confusing photo posting tools and "Smilies" that haven't changed since 1996.

And so the decline of communities like skyscraper page will likely continue.
Unfortunately these things happen. This is ancient tech in terms of the internet. I've been getting lots of errors on skyscraper page lately, I think it may be starting to become unstable. That's do be expected with a website that was probably programed with windows 97 in mind haha. I was born in 97 and God, I miss windows 97 from my grandparents computer haha.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 8:57 PM

Aren't Discord and Reddit... forums? Maybe not so much Discord I suppose. But this forum in particular is of the old school nature of forums. Newer 'forums' like 4chan or whatever those other ones are, just newer versions of this forum basically?

Facebook even for me is for old people or Conservatives to share junk. I'm in the 30's category. My friends groups use Whatsapp or Messenger for group chats. We're in that vintage.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Unfortunately these things happen. This is ancient tech in terms of the internet. I've been getting lots of errors on skyscraper page lately, I think it may be starting to become unstable. That's do be expected with a website that was probably programed with windows 97 in mind haha. I was born in 97 and God, I miss windows 97 from my grandparents computer haha.
I'm guessing you mean Windows 98.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
I'm guessing you mean Windows 98.
Am I having a Mandela effect moment with Windows 97? I saw a Wikipedia article about it haha.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 1:07 AM

Internet forums peaked in the 2000s, and were at an apex around 2005. Then social media came along, and they fell by the wayside. Additionally, there are several regular forum members from Winnipeg that have passed away in the last few years.

I would say the median age of SSP members must be around 45.

RIP

GrumpyOldMan (2020)
Lil Zebra (2023)
Rosencrentz (2019)

and others I do not know about.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:00 AM

38 here. i check on this forum with regularity but definitely don't post like i used to. the my city photos section for example is a shadow of what it used to be.

one forumer i think may have passed who contributed a lot back in the day was Andy6. he brought a good historical perspective.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
one forumer i think may have passed who contributed a lot back in the day was Andy6. he brought a good historical perspective.
I've seen him logged in and creeping in this subforum, so I think he is alive.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:10 PM

ok good . he's gotta come here and correct me then!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 5:20 PM
Project manger

I just hope this does not go the way of Skyscraper city. That was big for many years, and then just fell apart. I used to be a mod over there in its hay days but they changed the way the site was posted and everyone left. I think luring the Calgary people back would help, but I dont see that happening.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 7:24 PM

I'm 23, so definitely on the younger end of the spectrum here. But since finding SSP in 2020, this forum has been a valuable tool to help satiate my interests and curiosities in all types of developments from infrastructure to retail.

I think it would be prudent to create a Discord or some sort of group as a backup that we could migrate to in the event that SSP closes down.

There are lots of very knowledgeable people on this forum and I think these conversations are valuable.

Let me know what you all think about setting something up.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 8:33 PM

SkyriseCities has some good bones in place for a Winnipeg section, it's just that there are no Winnipeggers posting there. The Edmonton and Calgary sections are fairly well used, I think Vancouver as well.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Feb 2, 2024 at 8:44 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 10:48 PM
keep the good times going

I'm in my mid-20s and have really appreciated this forum as a resource, and honestly a source of inspiration for my design schooling/work. Have been on here about 7 years now, mostly lurking.

I would also be sad to see this place go the way of the dust. If we decide on a backup I would be interested.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 12:56 AM

Interesting. 85 responded to the previous poll. 89 so far for this one.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 2:30 PM

I am 25 and have been on here for a while now, I usually just hover around and do not participate in conversations as I don't have the construction knowledge.
I like that we have access to all of the cities on here, although I usually only look at what's happening in Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg and Edmonton.

Since the construction of the Nutrien tower in Saskatoon, I've been hooked on seeing construction updates and developments in the Prairies. I find myself coming back on SSP everyday.

If the time comes and SSP is no longer accessible, I would definitely join in whatever new platform we decide to migrate to.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan