HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 3:56 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Haha, no. I darkened the yellow on SU and added reflection on Kerk. Maybe the shadows, sun, and darker color made it look like that. Also, I'd like to give credit to CGII since my GT2 was based of a building he designed for the Cityscape City.Only 3 buildings in my city are based of other designs. Nestin, 1010 1st Ave, and GT2.

I noticed that lights come up ou of no where on Kerk. Like on the Nestin Hotel, one of the balconies has a light shining down on it. And on the Leaf Industries buildings, it has lights shining towards the middle white part. hmmm...

I think I'm gonna start adding lights to my city and set Kerk to render night shots.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 5:56 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Nothing new, just 2 shots of the current finished progress. In the next update I'll show the hospital. It won't be for a while though cause the hospital is huge. I also didn't do that areal shot because most of my city is naked and I just wanna show the finished parts.

1010 1st Ave is doesn't seem too shiny in this picture, I'll add more historic low-rises later on to make the drastic change from new to old:

The Royal Carlos (if anyone hadn't noticed, I got Royal Carlos from the Ritz Carleton) hasn't been shown for a while so I thought I'd show it this time. There's also the Roy building, it's the white building with long blue windows farthest to the left. Nothing special, just another insurance company, Roy Insurance, pretty common name, Roy:

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 6:03 AM
Desert Dweller

I was wondering what happened to the Royal Carlos!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 1:15 AM
Registered Lurker

The city is clean-looking. and mmmm Ol' Roy is lookin good!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 1:44 AM
Community Guy

You need to focus less on the details and more on the design...

:p

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 2:16 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Yeah, well this is downtown, which I forgot to mention. I'm gonna work on 1970's/80's residential towers later on. For now I'm gonna finish Downtown, Frontier Waterfront (historic district), and the very large hospital. I wanna fill the city with mostly pre-2000 buildings first then I can start making some nice, modern, shiny buildings like the ones you design.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 11:36 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Looks great mate!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:24 AM

i like very much what u've done with the pacific gallery and how it adds to the skyline.
I like that short building of the curved facade-top on the last shot,

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 3:55 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Thanks, that's the Royal Carlos, or the CD Rack as most people refer to.

Anyways, here's a picture of the Nestin, nothing special, no new buildings in SIGHT, but just another render:

My crappy base cannot compare to the base Austin made.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 3:58 AM
Registered Lurker

^It still looks great though! And your actual tower is much more interesting to look at than the actual Westin.

When do you plan on updating again, and what can we expect to see? It's been longer than usual.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:19 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Man, it's been quiet the last two days. Anyways, I don't know. I plan on updating as soon as I can. I get bored of Sketchup fast so I'll start doing whatever and won't work on anything for a day or two.

I've been working on a hospital. A "big" one. I don't think it's big enough though because the city has over a million people and the hospital is only 6 full blocks. I plan on making it at least 9 blocks. It's not too detailed, I just don't work on the city a lot. I have 3 3 empty blocks, 2 lots with plain white buildings, 2 blocks almost finished (just need to add details), and 1 block finished.

After this I'll start working on the Frontier Waterfront (historic district) which will take a while and most of the government buildings are located in that vicinity.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:52 AM
Registered Lurker

Yeah, SketchUp get's boring after a while, but then I take a long break and I get into it again. I think that's how everyone is. That's why some people will disappear for weeks or months in my case, then come back.

9 blocks of hospital is insane! That's going to be massive. The water front sounds great too! Can't wait to see them!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 5:57 AM

I guess the hospital's gonna be a low rise complex. maybe a campus-hospital?

I've been a couple of months without touching SU, then it gets cool again.
It's different when you leap to renders. Kerky is not really that hard when you separate materials by their color and name them.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:36 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

No, no it's not. Fucking iPod wouldn't work on my new computer! I feel it's time for a new iPod. My poor little 30 Gig won't handle much longer. And I need a place to put my pictures in case something happens. I need a 160 Gig now.

Anyways, yeah. I'm really getting into this house project in Sketchup. I'm making almost everything by hand. I won't make toilets, ovens, cook tops, all the general house appliances. But I will make every window, door, floor, wall, tables, chairs, and even the little pictures on the wall.

The shortest building in the complex is 6 or 7 floors tall. The tallest is 25 or so. I don't wanna give the exact # away. But I thought it was big enough, then I saw a render of the Children's Hospital U/C in Chicago and that beast is HUGE! And it's only the Children's hospital. Then I compared my hospital to Swedish Hospital here in Seattle and Swedish is at least 2 and a half times as big as mines.

I won't give too much away but if I'll make at least 9 blocks of Hospitals and try to make 15 at most.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:40 AM

well here in B.A. the biggest hospital i know of is the garraham children hospital, 6 blocks (900mX900m), low rise.
Eager to see it, I guess u'll copy pasta?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:49 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

I'll try not to. I only have 2 pairs of twins and 1 set of trios. I'll keep adding more buildings though. I don't like making everything look the same. Maybe I will go up to 15 blocks. I don't want to make tall 500 foot towers in this area so I'll have to spread the buildings out not up. Besides, it doesn't make sense to have tall hospital buildings. Not practical enough. This site will include various designs don't worry. Some you've seen in some pf my previous cities.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 4:53 PM

Get an Ipod Touch, in posting from mine now.

Sounds interesting, like something fromhouston. Its gonna be big. What sorts of style will it use?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:40 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

I don't know, modern buildings mostly. From 1980's till current times. France has some buildings that inspired me.

I want an iPod Touch but it doesn't have enough memory for all the things I have. And I have like 5,000 pictures I haven't put in my iPod cause I only have 4.5 gigs left and I wanna fill those up with music.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 9:41 PM

they have an 8,16,32 GB versions. sorry for the offftopicness,but you started it!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 10:54 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Lol, it's ok. I need way more than 32 gigs. I was thinking about getting that one but it's way too much money and so little memory. That's why I want a 160 gig. But that ones too fat. I think I can settle for the 80 gig.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup